Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Let's talk about foiling

Windsurfing shop talk

by grantmac » Fri May 15, 2020 1:15 pm

I know lots of guys with the 1st gen LP foils who found they were a bit small but the quality is outstanding.
I missed the opportunity to buy one last week while I was out of town.

I don't know anyone who has windsurfed one of their new bigger wings.
grantmac

by ZeroR2 » Fri May 15, 2020 1:19 pm

grantmac wrote:I know lots of guys with the 1st gen LP foils who found they were a bit small but the quality is outstanding.
I missed the opportunity to buy one last week while I was out of town.

I don't know anyone who has windsurfed one of their new bigger wings.

Where there any deals last week? The new RS series has large wings.
ZeroR2

by grantmac » Fri May 15, 2020 1:32 pm

No it was a used 1st gen my buddy was selling.

I did miss an RS for sale on BWD as well although it was a bit out of my price range.
They do have very large wings available which look more like a super sized race wing rather than a SUP wing.
grantmac

by ZeroR2 » Fri May 15, 2020 6:53 pm

grantmac wrote:No it was a used 1st gen my buddy was selling.

I did miss an RS for sale on BWD as well although it was a bit out of my price range.
They do have very large wings available which look more like a super sized race wing rather than a SUP wing.

I think the FPS might be good enough for lighter guys and used prices seem decent (~ $650-750 USD). With the adapter you can get a wing up to 1300cm2. Anything larger you should stick with the RS. What do used RS go for?
ZeroR2

by grantmac » Sun May 17, 2020 10:23 am

That used RS was a hell of a deal but included a bunch of stuff I didn't need (kite wing and fuselage) plus the seller didn't get back to me about the other components before selling it.
I think they are 1500 new.

I'm still on my quest for a foil that can do everything. Slow and surfy with a big wing, fast with a high aspect one and adaptable to various fin boxes.
It seems the manufacturers aren't interested in making a universal foil.
grantmac

by ZeroR2 » Sun May 17, 2020 2:31 pm

grantmac wrote:That used RS was a hell of a deal but included a bunch of stuff I didn't need (kite wing and fuselage) plus the seller didn't get back to me about the other components before selling it.
I think they are 1500 new.

I'm still on my quest for a foil that can do everything. Slow and surfy with a big wing, fast with a high aspect one and adaptable to various fin boxes.
It seems the manufacturers aren't interested in making a universal foil.

The new Slingshot carbon that is coming out might be interesting. I know that you are not a fan of the companies quality and I can only imagine the price with a carbon mast. I feel your pain; kind of me liking electric mountain bikes, but prices around 8k USD makes it unattractive. Guess I will keep walking up those steep areas and save 7k.
ZeroR2

by grantmac » Sun May 17, 2020 5:21 pm

Slingshot would need to release something obvious miles better for the same or less cost to the competition for me to be interested.

I ebike too but I do it via the DIY route. Some very interesting developments happening there before Covid hit.
grantmac

by ZeroR2 » Mon May 18, 2020 12:32 pm

grantmac wrote:Slingshot would need to release something obvious miles better for the same or less cost to the competition for me to be interested.

I ebike too but I do it via the DIY route. Some very interesting developments happening there before Covid hit.

Covid put a halt to a lot of products (Slingshot/Bafang). I have been looking to DIY my bikes with the new Bafang mid drive motors. Wonder when they will be available.
ZeroR2

by grantmac » Mon May 18, 2020 1:23 pm

Bafang doesn't have any new DIY mids from what I've heard, just the same old BBxx series. Not something I'd recommend for serious use, more of a commuter product.

There is an Italian company called Lightest which is crowdfunding an interesting mid at the moment. If I had the budget I'd back it.
Otherwise the Revel drive is pretty sweet.
grantmac

by ZeroR2 » Mon May 18, 2020 3:06 pm

grantmac wrote:Bafang doesn't have any new DIY mids from what I've heard, just the same old BBxx series. Not something I'd recommend for serious use, more of a commuter product.

There is an Italian company called Lightest which is crowdfunding an interesting mid at the moment. If I had the budget I'd back it.
Otherwise the Revel drive is pretty sweet.

Not DIY but they might be in the future. Different quality for sure, but proven track record. I like the Lightest, but I am always a little concerned with Italian products, especially cars. I like the Revel drive; the company from OR, right? Trying to convert 3 Motobecane Hardtails one day to peddle assist for steep terrain.

This COVID is giving me too much time to think about new projects and spend money. I have a 14 day mandatory quarantine. Curse you Canada - just kidding of course / I love you.
ZeroR2

PreviousNext

Return to Windsurfing