Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Let's talk about foiling

Windsurfing shop talk

by grantmac » Tue May 12, 2020 6:33 pm

Its fit rather specifically to the board rocker and vee although I'm thinking with some of that green foam like on the Power Plate it could work.
You don't even want to know the machining time on it though......

For similar/less cost I could machine the foil to a shallow Tuttle. But I do believe this plate spreads the load out so that is a factor in its favour.
grantmac

by shmish » Wed May 13, 2020 6:35 pm

Does anyone here have any experience with the Starboard Supercruiser foil? For lighter winds and a beginner? I’ve seen one thread about them on the seabreeze forums, and not much else.
shmish

by grantmac » Thu May 14, 2020 10:18 am

Big wave Dave uses one in Victoria. Also another friend in Seattle.
Both are lighter guys and both really like them after spending a bunch of time on more race oriented foils.

However they would be a purchase I'd make only if I was going to eventually get a Starboard race foil and wanted the masts interchangeable.

Otherwise I'd look everywhere.
grantmac

by shmish » Thu May 14, 2020 1:18 pm

grantmac wrote:Big wave Dave uses one in Victoria. Also another friend in Seattle.
Both are lighter guys and both really like them after spending a bunch of time on more race oriented foils.

However they would be a purchase I'd make only if I was going to eventually get a Starboard race foil and wanted the masts interchangeable.

Otherwise I'd look everywhere.

My suspicion is that NP is in financial trouble so I don't think they're a long term solution at this point. Slingshot looks good going forward. Moses, maybe... but they are no longer making their aluminum program. I think I could get their Vento 790 alu package with a 75cm mast and then try to buy their 95cm mast for another $150, but those masts are getting scarce. (I'm trying to buy in Canada for cost and shipping reasons, I've had a flotation vest stuck in Blaine since March). Fanatic is expensive. AFS looks great but their larger front wing, which isn't even that large, looks to be out of stock and who knows if/when that will ever be back. Naish's 2020 might be a nice option but I don't see it available anywhere in Canada and I don't think it performs as good as the 790, i76 for light wind (and maybe that's ok).
shmish

by grantmac » Thu May 14, 2020 2:49 pm

NP is one of the biggest players in windsurfing, they are having a supply hickup but not going anywhere.

I currently own Slingshot gear which I'm selling for NP stuff because the build quality is better and the wings are half the cost. Biggest issue is mast length with NP but that isn't a huge deal unless you are doing race foiling.

You could look at an LP. They sit just above the aluminum Moses for cost but are all carbon and have very large wings available.
grantmac

by shmish » Fri May 15, 2020 8:56 am

Silentsports in Ontario has the NP Glide Wind small for $1100. I think small might work for my 65 kg, but maybe Medium is better (https://www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Windsurfing/Foiling/neilpryde-2019-glide-wind?page=1#28). To start with I'll be using it with a freeride board maybe up to 18 knots, and then however low wind I can once I learn to foil. My concern is the 70cm mast, it seems to me that around Vancouver we get 2-3' chop if the wind even thinks about blowing. I think the 2020 Glide Wind have a 80 cm mast but I have no idea where and when that will be available. Grantmac, have you found a retailer for NP gear?
shmish

by grantmac » Fri May 15, 2020 9:26 am

I don't buy anything in Canada. For NP there are several in the US offering deals.

Talking with Tyson Poor he runs both masts and doesn't see much difference. That said if they had a 100cm I'd get it.

You can find him on FB messenger and he's happy to chat.
grantmac

by telus022420 » Fri May 15, 2020 10:44 am

Get the biggest wing you can. Get the Large NP, (don't know if they include the large stabilizer) if you go that route. NP also makes an XL Large.
With a big wing you can taxi/fly more often, smaller wing needs higher wind speed.
Easier to learn on; so you will be flying soon vs later.

Also consider adjustability, you have to find the equal balance between the front and back foot. If its not balanced it would be like sailing with an unbalanced sail. I would ask the vendor if he has knowledge/feedback on the board you plan on using.

Use a UV ziptie pad; attach it to your foil mast and tie it to the footstrap. Or buy the NSI loop.

I know of one windsurf and kiteboard friends that bought 1st generation wings (small cm2 < 1000) and struggled. For the second foil they bought a large wing and was flying immediately.
telus022420

by adam2 » Fri May 15, 2020 11:23 am

Keep an eye out for tomorrow's dawn patrol Easterly at Jericho. Get there early 7am-ish for a parking spot, it should be good when you get there. Today's morning Easterly was lighter than tomorrow's forecast and it was really decent. These easterlies are super good for windfoiling, just slog out to the windline and go.
adam2

by ZeroR2 » Fri May 15, 2020 12:43 pm

grantmac wrote:
You could look at an LP. They sit just above the aluminum Moses for cost but are all carbon and have very large wings available.

What is your opinion on LP foils? Is the brand reputable and do they have good quality products?
ZeroR2

PreviousNext

Return to Windsurfing