Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Let's talk about foiling

Windsurfing shop talk

by grantmac » Wed May 30, 2018 2:04 pm

I believe the position I placed my new fin box was somewhat of a compromise for a true foil setup (front bolt centered in the rear strap) unlike the slingshot boards which center the box completely.
I've found that I fly without a lot of front foot pressure which kind of locks the back foot in place, good for straight line but not for gybing/turns.

To correct this my first adjustment has been to shim the stabilizer into a more tail-up orientation. I considered washers, bits of plastic etc. but then realized that most of us have the ideal material in our junk bin: harness line tubing. I've started with a piece ~5/16" long between the tail piece and the stabilizer slid over the rear bolt. Tightened down I now have about an 1/8" gap.

Initial impression is improved pitch stability which has let me unlock some rear foot pressure and carve turns more from the front foot. I will cut a longer piece and see if I can find the sweet spot.
grantmac

by ezzylover » Wed May 30, 2018 2:40 pm

grantmac wrote:I believe the position I placed my new fin box was somewhat of a compromise for a true foil setup (front bolt centered in the rear strap) unlike the slingshot boards which center the box completely.
I've found that I fly without a lot of front foot pressure which kind of locks the back foot in place, good for straight line but not for gybing/turns.

To correct this my first adjustment has been to shim the stabilizer into a more tail-up orientation. I considered washers, bits of plastic etc. but then realized that most of us have the ideal material in our junk bin: harness line tubing. I've started with a piece ~5/16" long between the tail piece and the stabilizer slid over the rear bolt. Tightened down I now have about an 1/8" gap.

Initial impression is improved pitch stability which has let me unlock some rear foot pressure and carve turns more from the front foot. I will cut a longer piece and see if I can find the sweet spot.

good feedback!
I saw a guy at Nexen last saturday (sorry i forgot his name) real nice guy , had made a spacer in order to use his deep tutle (male) into a regular tutle (female) with a top plate above the screws for added strengh. He seemed to do quite well on the water , I wonder if such an idea would work on the futura ?
like it was said before the price between fixing a box and replacing a box is the same so why not.
ezzylover

by grantmac » Wed May 30, 2018 2:46 pm

If you know someone with a machine shop I'm 99% sure you could take a bit off the top of the tuttle head until it fits. At least with the slingshot.

However I also know of at least one rider with a G10 plate as you describe in an Isonic122. He's fairly light however.
grantmac

by AdrienGrelon » Wed May 30, 2018 2:55 pm

Foiled in next to nothing on Starboard Foil 147 + Race Foil + Severne Hyperglide 8.0m, out at Cates yesterday. Hard to say how light it was, but definitely in the 6-8knot range, at times a bit more. So easy to get dialed flights with the big cambered sail. I'll take my anemometer and GPS out next time. Pretty sure I was hitting speeds in the mid 20s.

So much better than my last foil session! (Foil 122 + Freeride Foil + 4.2m in 25/30 knots Squamish).

Light wind race foiling = mega fun

AdrienGrelon

by ezzylover » Wed May 30, 2018 4:43 pm

Jealous of those beautiful flying gibes !
ezzylover

by morrison » Wed May 30, 2018 6:18 pm

Google Cost Benefit Analysis?
You can buy a shitty yacht for light wind for less money and they have a bar on board and a bunk for other activities?
morrison

by ezzylover » Thu May 31, 2018 8:10 am

morrison wrote:Google Cost Benefit Analysis?
You can buy a shitty yacht for light wind for less money and they have a bar on board and a bunk for other activities?

Most of us are married and have given up on "other activities"
windfoil it is !
ezzylover

by grantmac » Thu May 31, 2018 9:33 am

$2000 "yachts" are simply buying someone else's problems. You priced moorage lately?

If it was cost benefit analysis I'd have sold that raceboard I had listed inside a day.
grantmac

by AdrienGrelon » Thu May 31, 2018 12:27 pm

ezzylover wrote:
morrison wrote:Google Cost Benefit Analysis?

Most of us are married and have given up on "other activities"
windfoil it is !

:lol:

Not to mention, in said "yacht" you're doing 3 knots, vs 25knots on a foil race setup. All depends what floats your boat, pun intended. We did estimate that a full foil racing setup, all said and done, at $CAD retail right now would set you back about 10gs....

Amado is a beast. Notice the back foot forward/midboard stance for deep downwind runs.
AdrienGrelon

by grantmac » Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:20 pm

Had some great foiling days in Bellingham bay. Lots of 10-16kt conditions which would be marginal at best on anything else.
I've finally started getting confident enough to carve on a bit of wind swell and a few times got short rides with near zero apparent wind.
Gybes, while still not flying, are getting much better. It seems that throwing the sail very early works best.

-Grant
grantmac

PreviousNext

Return to Windsurfing