Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Let's talk about foiling

Windsurfing shop talk

by adam2 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:30 pm

Michael wrote:Had a great strapless foil session yesterday on the Okanagan lake. Super fun and lots of control in the gusts.
Not sure if it's because I'm using a SUP, 7'4" hypernut but I loved the surfy feel. Got in some nice S turns but went too far down wind on one and crashed. A few jibes but still can't foil out of them.

Nice. Where were you launching from Michael?
adam2

by Michael » Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:32 pm

adam2 wrote:
Michael wrote:Had a great strapless foil session yesterday on the Okanagan lake. Super fun and lots of control in the gusts.
Not sure if it's because I'm using a SUP, 7'4" hypernut but I loved the surfy feel. Got in some nice S turns but went too far down wind on one and crashed. A few jibes but still can't foil out of them.

My Mom's house near Fintry. https://goo.gl/maps/QzeF5cxysU5dBWHQ8
Michael

by adam2 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:42 pm

Michael wrote:
adam2 wrote:

My Mom's house near Fintry. https://goo.gl/maps/QzeF5cxysU5dBWHQ8

Ah nice. I was camping across the lake and up a bit at Ellison Prov. Park earlier this summer, it was the one place that didn't have any wind for me on that lake.
adam2

by Mike » Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:34 am

Sound like a fun session Michael. Curious that you've gone strapless. I did some random internet searches on positives and negatives of this. So far I'm not so nervous with straps windfoiling on jibe attempts (unlike kite foil). It seems most go with footstraps but not sure why unless you're jumping or maybe touch down hard and use them to stay stable. Any thoughts out there?
Mike

by Michael » Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:30 am

Mike wrote:Sound like a fun session Michael. Curious that you've gone strapless.

Hey Mike, it was really fun! This video of Tyson Poor foiling in Baja is what really got me thinking about it. Sorry it's on facebook so I hope you can access it, I couldn't find a video on vimeo or youtube.

https://www.facebook.com/tyson.poor/videos/10157939189797053
Michael

by Michael » Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:45 am

adam2 wrote:Ah nice. I was camping across the lake and up a bit at Ellison Prov. Park earlier this summer, it was the one place that didn't have any wind for me on that lake.

Hey Adam, Ellison is a really nice park but ya the north Okanagan doesn't get much wind and Ellison is really sheltered.
Michael

by adam2 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:57 am

Michael wrote:
adam2 wrote:Ah nice. I was camping across the lake and up a bit at Ellison Prov. Park earlier this summer, it was the one place that didn't have any wind for me on that lake.

Hey Adam, Ellison is a really nice park but ya the north Okanagan doesn't get much wind and Ellison is really sheltered.

Yes I am glad it wasn't windy while I was there as the walk down with gear and the sail (paddle) to the wind line would not have been fun. The place sure is gorgeous though!
adam2

by shmish » Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:52 am

From what I remember, the swimming area at Ellison gets swimmers itch so there’s that too. Some people don’t react to it, but I do.

Michael, any problems going upwind when strapless? I feel like I really have to work the straps to get the windward rail down and head upwind. Or maybe there’s other problems with my technique.
shmish

by Mike » Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:16 pm

Michael wrote:
Mike wrote:Sound like a fun session Michael. Curious that you've gone strapless.

Hey Mike, it was really fun! This video of Tyson Poor foiling in Baja is what really got me thinking about it. Sorry it's on facebook so I hope you can access it, I couldn't find a video on vimeo or youtube.

https://www.facebook.com/tyson.poor/videos/10157939189797053

Thanks for sharing the video. Thinking I'll just have to give it a try and find out.
Mike

by adam2 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:12 pm

All of the models are telling me I should be doing an easterly dawn patrol before work tomorrow at the Locarno easterly launch. Anybody else thinking of doing the same?
adam2

PreviousNext

Return to Windsurfing