Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Let's talk about foiling

Windsurfing shop talk

by grantmac » Mon May 18, 2020 5:24 pm

Hard tails are easiest to convert really. Even easier if weight isn't a huge deal. Generally the BBxx motors will work okay. There are some other companies I think doing similar stuff now.
Or there are some reasonably priced frames with integrated Bafang drives out now too.

I'm trying to build something as light as the lightest factory full suspension ebikes ~45# and easily convertible back to just pedals. The Lightest and Revel (yes from OR) are basically the only options except maybe CYC but that seems to have issues (although maybe just because of the power level).

Definitely lots of time to spend money I don't have.
grantmac

by ZeroR2 » Wed May 20, 2020 10:30 am

grantmac wrote:Hard tails are easiest to convert really. Even easier if weight isn't a huge deal. Generally the BBxx motors will work okay. There are some other companies I think doing similar stuff now.
Or there are some reasonably priced frames with integrated Bafang drives out now too.

I'm trying to build something as light as the lightest factory full suspension ebikes ~45# and easily convertible back to just pedals. The Lightest and Revel (yes from OR) are basically the only options except maybe CYC but that seems to have issues (although maybe just because of the power level).

Definitely lots of time to spend money I don't have.

I was hoping that the new Bafang series motors would become available in a kit. I think that I am going to wait for China Black Friday (Nov. 11) and buy 3 from AliExpress, street legal 500w (wife & kid would freak out if pulled over by cops) and source some good 48 V high Amp batteries. Even getting it on sale and batteries will run me USD 2.5k. I wish I could get something better, but nor financially feasible with a family.

On a side note, what would you pay for an LP RS carbon foil with 2 wings (many choices) in A condition in USD?
ZeroR2

by adam2 » Wed May 20, 2020 11:00 am

Hey Zero,

I am a year, and 2800km in with a 500W Bafang conversion kit, but it is a gear-drive hub motor. It is a commuter setup and it seriously moves way better than I would have thought. I just pulled it open to inspect and grease the planetary gears and it looked mint inside. If you are looking for a street and light trail setup, not e-mtb, these motors may be worth considering. They are of course legal and because this is a foiling thread I have even used it to tow a trailer with my foil gear 10km roundtrip to the beach. :-)
adam2

by shmish » Wed May 20, 2020 7:40 pm

grantmac wrote:I don't buy anything in Canada. For NP there are several in the US offering deals.

Talking with Tyson Poor he runs both masts and doesn't see much difference. That said if they had a 100cm I'd get it.

You can find him on FB messenger and he's happy to chat.

Thanks for the tip. I chatted with him on my son's FB messenger account. He suggested even at my mass (65 kg) to get the large foil. Tyson also pointed out that getting a longer mast is one of the cheaper upgrades.
shmish

by grantmac » Thu May 21, 2020 9:28 am

It would also depend on which wings, fuselage and mast it came with since there are so many options.

Those Bafang geared hubs are a serious commuter option. But the sticker lies, they are more like 800-1000w peak.
Oh well the watt rules are silly, my commuter peaks around 2300 watts. It just can't do it for long.

Smish:
Glad you got in touch with him, he's a fantastic brand ambassador/really nice guy. I'm still debating my own foil choice now that Fanatic has a modular setup that can do Powerbox. But they don't have anyone I can talk to about it or the ability to customize what comes with it. So I'd have to get either their medium carving wing then buy larger or else their fast wing and buy another again. I'd rather be able to just get the wing I want (the biggest).
grantmac

by shmish » Thu May 21, 2020 11:50 am

grantmac wrote:Glad you got in touch with him, he's a fantastic brand ambassador/really nice guy. I'm still debating my own foil choice now that Fanatic has a modular setup that can do Powerbox. But they don't have anyone I can talk to about it or the ability to customize what comes with it. So I'd have to get either their medium carving wing then buy larger or else their fast wing and buy another again. I'd rather be able to just get the wing I want (the biggest).

Among other things, a gripe I have against their foils is the price. Significantly higher than others for an aluminum mast. Fanatic do have a decent forum where they are pretty responsive around product info/suggestions: https://forum.fanatic.com/. It looks like the 1500 flow foil should be available https://www.fanatic.com/windsurf/boards/foil/flows/flow-1500 but I don't see it anywhere. It seems to me that a lot of brands are low or have no stock in foils. I can't find any NP Glide Wind except one or two places that have the small wing.
shmish

by grantmac » Thu May 21, 2020 12:10 pm

The Fanatic is expensive but I like being able to use their jumbo SUP wings or super fast windfoil wings on the same setup. Plus their fin box adapters are 1/3rd the cost of the NP. Which for me is significant with what I want to do.

They also have a longer mast, 90cm I believe.

I'll have to check out their forum. Even getting prices on extra wings etc online is tough.

I was hoping to go to the Gorge and demo both this year. We will see.
grantmac

by ZeroR2 » Thu May 21, 2020 12:17 pm

grantmac wrote:The Fanatic is expensive but I like being able to use their jumbo SUP wings or super fast windfoil wings on the same setup. Plus their fin box adapters are 1/3rd the cost of the NP. Which for me is significant with what I want to do.

They also have a longer mast, 90cm I believe.

I'll have to check out their forum. Even getting prices on extra wings etc online is tough.

I was hoping to go to the Gorge and demo both this year. We will see.

You could contact Jesse Cohen. Fanatic has a demo center in White Salmon, WA. I was there last week. They also closed the warehouse in Sumner, WA and have everything in White Salmon now. I think that many need to focus on saving money and getting good used demo gear. Just an idea.

adam2, thank you for the information. Great idea with towing your board if you live downtown. I have seen a few neat setups.
ZeroR2

by grantmac » Thu May 21, 2020 12:36 pm

Contact info for Jesse?
grantmac

by ZeroR2 » Thu May 21, 2020 1:18 pm

grantmac wrote:Contact info for Jesse?

Jesse Cohen is Fanatic Canadian West coast dealer. Other dealer is Big Winds, but they have much higher overhead. Just be patient with response. Make sure that he just doesn't look in inventory, but makes contact with the Fanatic facility and check what they have.

dirtymermaidwindsurfing@gmail.com

Most companies that manufacture foils have their testing facilities at the Hood River OR, White Salmon and Bingen, WA.

Hope you guys find something interesting.
ZeroR2

PreviousNext

Return to Windsurfing