Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Let's talk about foiling

Windsurfing shop talk

by Michael » Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:23 pm

Chuck wrote::D :D :D
Woot Woot! Let's start a Foil Club!

Just back from the Gorge with my new rig! Can't wait to unleash it on you unsuspecting foilers!!! Actually quite concerned about having it unleashed...putting a lot of faith in one measly Powerbox screw! :?

Have rigged up quite the system, eager to see if it all works out!

Adam, I think I met you wife at the Hatch yesterday!

Ya Chuck!! I got out on mine again today, stronger gusty winds made for a few scary moments!! Looking forward to getting back to the coast and ripping around with you this fall!
Michael

by Chuck » Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:23 pm

E6B55751-8C6B-49BE-8FB3-6BC69F935C1C.png
Le Thrust XL
E6B55751-8C6B-49BE-8FB3-6BC69F935C1C.png (65.11 KiB) Viewed 10144 times
D119CD50-F8D2-457C-BF14-89BAFF058B5D.png
Just sailed to church on Sundays...
D119CD50-F8D2-457C-BF14-89BAFF058B5D.png (270.79 KiB) Viewed 10144 times
Got a cherry Mistral Explosion locally on CL that is barely entering its teen years

For a foil the Naish XL Thrust SUP foil, one of the largest available in 2019, yet now Naish has released even larger ones for 2020! It will do double-duty for both windfoiling and kitefoiling for me.

A Powerplate from Windance marries the two; for some reason Naish decided to flout industry standard and go for smaller mounting bolts than Slingshot/F-One/virtually anyone making a foil these days, so had to drill out the Abracadabra (Naish’s term :roll: ) quick-mount plate so it would accept the larger bolts that thread into the tapped Powerplate base.
Ideally a second quick-release Yabba-Dabba-Cadabra plate would sit on a kitefoil board allowing a quick transfer of the foil between the two without having to mount/remount the foil, esp once I find the sweet spot in terms of foil position.

The Achilles heel of this set-up is of course the single-bolt Powerbox screw holding all this into a board that was not designed to have this much weight or stress on its hindquarters. Fortunately the board is rather, shall we say, robust through the hips and tail so fairly confident it will hold up. Have a tether system set up similar to what Adam posted a while back, yet mine attaches directly to both the Powerplate (in case of single-pin failure) and also looped around the base of the foil just in case the quick-release Shamma-Ca-Blamma plate decides to unbolt/release from the Powerplate on the underside (doubtful, but worth the extra insurance).
Tether is new kite line extension screwed into a foot strap insert on the top of the board.
Chuck

by adam2 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:42 am

That sounds great Chuck!
adam2

by grantmac » Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:41 am

I did a foil box conversion into a similar year Explosion 130. It was as you say "robust" in construction.
Very nice board to foil although a bit long, makes for drama free breaching.
I even used it as a strapless WindSUP in mellow waves a time or two.

Those Naish foils have a reputation for ease of use, should be a good combo.
grantmac

by AlexK » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:50 am

I think it would be easy to cut the nose off that board once you get comfortable with it.
Maybe take 2 ft off or thereabouts.
AlexK

by JonathanP » Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:48 pm

Chuck wrote:
E6B55751-8C6B-49BE-8FB3-6BC69F935C1C.png
D119CD50-F8D2-457C-BF14-89BAFF058B5D.png
Got a cherry Mistral Explosion locally on CL that is barely entering its teen years

For a foil the Naish XL Thrust SUP foil, one of the largest available in 2019, yet now Naish has released even larger ones for 2020! It will do double-duty for both windfoiling and kitefoiling for me.

A Powerplate from Windance marries the two; for some reason Naish decided to flout industry standard and go for smaller mounting bolts than Slingshot/F-One/virtually anyone making a foil these days, so had to drill out the Abracadabra (Naish’s term :roll: ) quick-mount plate so it would accept the larger bolts that thread into the tapped Powerplate base.
Ideally a second quick-release Yabba-Dabba-Cadabra plate would sit on a kitefoil board allowing a quick transfer of the foil between the two without having to mount/remount the foil, esp once I find the sweet spot in terms of foil position.

The Achilles heel of this set-up is of course the single-bolt Powerbox screw holding all this into a board that was not designed to have this much weight or stress on its hindquarters. Fortunately the board is rather, shall we say, robust through the hips and tail so fairly confident it will hold up. Have a tether system set up similar to what Adam posted a while back, yet mine attaches directly to both the Powerplate (in case of single-pin failure) and also looped around the base of the foil just in case the quick-release Shamma-Ca-Blamma plate decides to unbolt/release from the Powerplate on the underside (doubtful, but worth the extra insurance).
Tether is new kite line extension screwed into a foot strap insert on the top of the board.

That foil might be a bit big for kiting, but maybe will be the trick with really low winds/board speeds! Most kite foils have a lot less lift since your weight on the board is comparably miniscule and there's no mast foot pressure.

I've had luck crossing over the other way. I'm using a liquid force kite foil on the starboard go that I bought off Adam. Had to switch the fuselage around and position the foil all the way forward, but finally got the sweet spot on it. Been rigging my 4.0 flat last few times in Squamish in winds around 20-25knts and getting plenty of power to fly through the lulls. Gonna need a smaller sail once I get a real windsurf foil!
JonathanP

by BigD » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:48 pm

What's the best Foil spot for the SE wed....GO!
BigD

by adam2 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:54 pm

BigD wrote:Best Foil add spot for the SE wed....GO!

I won't go as far as saying it is the best, but I windfoiled my first easterly on Sunday at Jericho and it was pretty damn fun. It was way less than Wednesday's forecast, and there was a bit of schlogging, but i look forward to trying it in a better easterly. I was using a 7.3 and stayed in close where the wind was best, surprisingly. It was just light enough that i couldn't make strong upwind progress (12 knots or so), but i feel like most of my time was spent on the foil. It was nice not worrying about tides or weeds and didn't take long to get used to sailing the "wrong" way.
Attachments
Screenshot_2019-08-19-22-47-01.png
Screenshot_2019-08-19-22-47-01.png (2.97 MiB) Viewed 9573 times
adam2

by BigD » Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:49 pm

Hmmm interesting...I'm thinking maybe Point Roberts...anyone else interested in a morning foil session?
BigD

PreviousNext

Return to Windsurfing