Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

La Ventana 2018 (session 4 - first WS/KB)

Windsurfing shop talk

by C36 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:53 am

LV4: windsurf/kite – La Ventana (Mar 24)

Fourth session of the trip, but first wind powered - the first three being Sup/surf sessions.

The day started with a flat water paddle atop the ‘aquarium’ and we were treated to visits from a rainbow of fish including what looked like a tuna, trumpet, large clown, sea snake and many more!

Punchy. For a ‘marginal’ forecast it turned on and was pretty solid. Launched Ethan on 9m from just below the campground. While I raced down to grab my windsurfing gear Ethan got overpowered after crossing into the wind line, got pulled forward while turning on the outside and caught a toe side edge, lost his board, ejected his kite, and had to self-rescue. I caught up to him as he arrived at the beach down in the corner. The good news was he knew what to do, was able to get himself in, and he was safe. He was pretty upset about losing his board, but I said I was happy he was safe, and we could easily rent or replace the board. Sailed upwind (well powered 5.3/115 in some playful water) and looked for his board – no luck. Once out on the water I could see how the gusts could have knocked Ethan off balance. Returned back to Baja Joes and he was keen to launch again, but this time on 7m for more control in the gusts with a rental board from the good folk at Elevation. He got in some rides and was driving upwind well when the wind got really punchy and started to shoulder off for the evening. The funny part is our hosts Phil and Emily’s (Casa Verde) parents found Ethan’s board on their walk down the beach (down at the last white house where I had guessed it might wash up)! Ethan broke a beaming smile when he saw it! Latter as I walked with Ethan we chatted about how challenging experiences can lead to experience (even if they are frustrating at the time). Eventful day, even if not exactly to plan.

gallery (better for mobile devices)
slideshow
C36

by gabrielb » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:46 am

Photos look amazing.

Locally it looks slightly different... here it's a balmy 5 degrees (feels like 0.8C) in springtime.
photo.JPG
photo.JPG (50.82 KiB) Viewed 10909 times

fyi, the gray hue is just a faulty camera.
gabrielb

by C36 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:17 pm

LV5: windsurf/kite – La Ventana (Mar 26)

5 m. Wind came up early to provide a bit of a distraction during morning yoga class. I took to the water about 11 on 115/5.3 and was lit from the start. Very quickly became too much and I came in to grab 96 Fanatic Freewave/4.7 Blade. That board is super fun! Ethan wanted to ‘hit the peak of the wind today’ and he did! We rented a 5 m North Mono from Elevation and rigged it in the driving sand – it fleet like the south Oregon coast. He launched and was off.

Fun ripping around together in that much wind and watching him charge through the swell! Then the peak of the wind passed and it started to diminish. Ethan and I headed in when even power stoking the kite wasn’t enough to keep him going. He said he found the Mono a little gutless, but was thankful not to have to take out his 7 m. Fun to get out on 5 m for the first time! The wind kept rolling, but back to first gear and lots of foils returned to the water. Short lived, but super fun!

slideshow
C36

by Michael » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:14 am

Looks like fun Dave! It's nice being out with the kids for sure. The swell just keeps pumping here. Today I managed to rent a SUP. 2017 Fanatic Prowave 9.2. Same board I have but the new one has a lot less volume. Had to drive and hour and a half each way to get it. On the way home we stopped and surfed at Kingscliff and I saw my son disappear in front of an over head high wave only to emerge a few seconds later in front of a explosion of white water and ride it all the way to the beach. One of the local surfers paddled over to me and said "That was a nice one, and he managed to ride it all the way in!" I only managed to catch a few smaller ones as the SUP was getting blown all over the place. I finally got the SUP but had wished I'd taken out the long board instead. More big surf to come! Enjoy your holiday!
Michael

by LeopardSkin » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:35 am

C36 wrote:
slideshow

What a nice place to poo!

Attachments
Screenshot_20180327-103016.png
Screenshot_20180327-103016.png (1.24 MiB) Viewed 10783 times
LeopardSkin

by C36 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:01 am

Tony: Here is the view from the 'throne'.

LV7: windsurf/kite – La Ventana (Mar 27)

Steady. Started the day off with a glassy SUP at dawn. Solid early morning wind had me grabbing 6.1 Blade and 115 FreeWave for an early start to the day session. Sized down to 5.3 pretty quickly, then Ethan joined in the fun on 7m kite. Clean launch, sailed above launch, got his first few jumps (with board tweaks claimed), clean landing. Well done!
slideshow

LV8: windsurf/kite – La Ventana (Mar 27)

Mushrooms. Afternoon session after a break for lunch. Headed down to check out the `mushroom` break after chatting with Kenny about it in the morning. Locals call it a reef, but it felt like a rock slab to me. Fun onshore wave that reminded me of a forgiving West Beach. Sailed up to Casa Verde as a cool down then called it when I snapped a harness line right out in front of Windsports Ventana. Nice rib dinner at Marlin Azul and bumped into David B.

slideshow
C36

by C36 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:30 am

LV10: windsurf + kite – La Ventana (Mar 28)

Ethan. Last wind session for both Ethan and I.

Ethan did much better today than I did in the lighter wind even though he was on 9 m. I started with 5.7 – too small. Then tried 6.2 – better, but still stop/start. Ethan was riding well. His turns looking more fluid and with more power and I saw a few jumps today! Fun!

slideshow
C36

Return to Windsurfing