Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Aussie Training Diaries

Windsurfing shop talk

by C36 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:23 pm

AdrienGrelon wrote:...Not sure I want to see what this spot can do on a big day. Next WA trip, I will definitely be keen to spend time up North. Talking to the Stone bros, who grew up in Geraldton, they said that spot is night and day easier, offers more forgiving, longer waves, and jumping. Sounds a bit more like my cup of tea! Marg's is still definitely a spot to be experienced though. That first day will go down as my gnarliest windsurf session ever, for the time being.

Heading up to Lancelin tomorrow.

After checking out the Gerlaton Windsurfing and Waves page on the Face Book and checking out the Geraldton Windsurfing Guide, I think you are right (and that I live in the wrong place :? :cry: :oops: ). Man they get some playful looking DTL conditions and some sweet looking SUP conditions too. :twisted: I hope M will be checking this place out!
C36

by AdrienGrelon » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:49 pm

Thanks guys! Dave, I can't believe how much you could sail in the summer here if you lived in Perth or its surroundings, and had a bit of flexibility with work around that time. I think after a 10 day trip here, Port tack would feel as natural as Starboard.

Day 9, Session 8 - "Lanno" (Lancelin)

Fun fun fun. Arrived in Lanno around 11am, white caps everywhere already. After a ghastly experience at Isabella's Cottage "the best coffee shop in Lancelin", off to beach at the main jetty launch.

The setup at Lanno is 500m of flat water, out to the reef and nice rolling breaking waves. Wind gets a bit lighter once you get out to the waves. Based on how windy it seemed, I thought 5.3 would be a bit much, but I guess the air is thinner here due to it being around 30 degrees c. 5.3 was actually just right, on the 86 again.

Out at the reef, the setup was super playful and fun; finally the fun-danger-intensity ratios were in a really good place! The wave setup was like a big brother version of udder land, with true side to side off wind, and bath warm water. Caught a few really fun ones, namely one that offered probably my biggest wave windsurfing drop yet! It wasn't a super clean face by any means, but you could catch something every ride in, so the whole setup made for an awesome training ground.

Called it much shorter than I wanted, would have gladly stayed out there for hours, but I had some deep cuts on my feet from carrying buddy up the rocks at Marg's, that weren't feeling too hot on the non stick of the board!

Back at the beach, sailors more privy to Cape Town standards found the conditions poor to mediocre. :lol: by BC standards, however, a day like that would go down as the session of the year, to be talked about for years to come, just like '06.

That's probably it for my water time here, sadly. WA is a pretty special place, and I only experienced a handful of the countless spots on offer. For anyone considering a trip here, I would suggest a minimum of 10 days. 3 days in Lancelin, 3 days in Geraldton/Coronation, and 3 days in Gnaraloo would make for a wicked trip if the forecast lined up. You would be graduating thr difficulty of sailing nicely. Actually, a week in each spot would probably be better :lol: I'll definitely be back at some point to do exactly that.

Flying out tonight. See you guys on the water soon.
AdrienGrelon

by Ryan » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:30 am

Thanks for the updates, sounds like it was a great trip.
Ryan

by Adrian L » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:08 am

Thinking about heading back already! That's a good sign...
Michael could be onto something about a vancouver crew heading that way. Next winter? I'd be down... :D
Welcome back btw time to hang up those board shorts and slap on the 5.4.3mm
and hand the warmers...
Adrian L

by LeopardSkin » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:29 am

AdrienGrelon wrote:...to be talked about for years to come, just like '06...

:lol:
LeopardSkin

by Simon » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:39 pm

Excellent that you are leaving on a high note :D
Simon

by C36 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:39 pm

Sounds awesome AG! :D :D :D
Thanks for sharing the adventure! Safe travels!
C36

by Peter » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:32 pm

Thanks for the updates. very entertaining - and intimidating!
Peter

Previous

Return to Windsurfing