Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Monday Westerly - Local

Windsurfing shop talk

by Alton » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:06 pm

My worst session in 2014 at Point Roberts. Disorganized waves outside, strong current, underpowered downwinders on 4.2/74L followed by constant interruptions with work. Spent more time on the phone than on the water.

Glad everyone else enjoyed their session.

Maybe Westerly Wednesday will better.
Alton

by Richi » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:02 pm

I'm a little confused about the current pushing people downwind today. C36 said the same, the tide was pushing you in the same direction as the wind.

Wasn't the tide going out till 2 pm today? Chris mentioned that this setup was perfect and would keep you upwind?

Confused :?
Richi

by Alton » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:18 pm

At the south shore of Point Roberts there's a strong cross shore current where the waves dissipate. Does anyone know the correct name of this current?

This current may be different from the one Chris is talking about.

POINT_ROBERTS.png
POINT_ROBERTS.png (40.78 KiB) Viewed 12334 times
Alton

by C36 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:59 pm

Click here to view a few shots from Monday morning at Point Bob. Enjoy!

Pre-Launch OSR
Mid-Session OSR
C36

by Chris Klohn » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:15 pm

Hi Alton,

I've only sailed on the west facing shore in a westerly and made reaches towards the bay and back. I can imagine the current would be wicked on the point with all that water pushing up against the shore and then rounding the corner. That's not the tidal current there though. Was the shore break too bad to launch on the west shore, make one upwind reach to the south then tack and reach way upwind towards the ferry?

Cheers,

Chris
Chris Klohn

by Michael » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:26 pm

Thanks for the pics Dave. They look great, nice lighting today!
Michael

by Michael » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:50 pm

Was the shore break too bad to launch on the west shore, make one upwind reach to the south then tack and reach way upwind towards the ferry?

I tried that today Chris but it was really hard to get up there with the wind angle. Look at the pics and you can see Mike launching from the west shore but I can't remember if he tried to sail up into the bay. I know we're talking about it today.
Michael

by Chris Klohn » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:13 pm

Hey Michael,

The onshore wind direction with a slight amount of north in it would work all the water pushed up into the bay by the 30-40 knots down the west shore line towards the point. It sounds like a side shore river set up along the south shore pulling all you guys parallel to the shore and downwind on the lee side :shock:

We used to launch off the boat ramp and then pinch hard upwind on the first reach to the south. After a quick tack or snap gybe you pinch hard upwind again towards the ferry.

In two or three tacks your upwind 500 meters off the west facing beach right into the big swell. We spent most of the time sailing along the shelf of the bay that the big swell breaks on about halfway to the ferry terminal North of the boat ramp. The water goes from 120 feet deep to 15 along that edge. There's no current to contend with and big conditions. If something happens you get pushed onshore.

You guys are crazy attempting to ride the point wave on a 4.0 westerly :D The thought never even crossed my mind when I used to sail there on a westerly........way too scary! I was never great at pointing upwind and probably would have ended up in White Rock if I tried to launch off the south beach.

The west shore break is still smaller than JWSP at high tide without the logs to contend with. Try the boat launch the next Westerly and stay away from the lee side of the point. The swell breaking on the shelf to the north blows the point out of the water. However, the point is sweet on a SE direction :D

Here's a link to the tidal flow around Point Roberts. Pages 152-154 on the document show the tidal flow: http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/Library/487-14.pdf

Is there any swell off the south shore or is it blocked? Stoked you guys got a session in though!!
Chris Klohn

by Chris Klohn » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:23 pm

Hi Dave,

Thanks for putting together such an awesome slide show. Great pictures of everyone. I would be tempted to get on that wave too after seeing the shots :D Try launching on the west beach and sailing north into the bay next time. I think you'll be shocked at the conditions you'll find on the shelf :shock:

Cheers,

Chris
Chris Klohn

by Chris Klohn » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:39 pm

Image 8842 new screen saver on our flight planning computer Dave.
Chris Klohn

PreviousNext

Return to Windsurfing