Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Centennial Friday

Windsurfing shop talk

by Mike » Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:17 am

Thinking Dawn patrol. Some mix in forecasts and currently, sensors suggest very South. Bb airport gusts suggest possible 4.5 conditions.
Mike

by Mike » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:53 pm

Low turn out but there were a few who attended. I guess I better make sure there's a report out. Iwindurf reports 20g25 mph SSE kicked in at 2pm. That's probably about what it was on Dawn patrol but due to the very South wind direction, iwindsurf didn't pick that up. 5.3 with some nice waves on some runs but not so much on others. Max I found was neck high. Shared with Michael and later C36 who I feared missed it but it looks like the wind came back for him. A few kites inc alton. Was tempted for a second round (kite) but wind direction worried me. Good fun but cold for the first while on the hands.
Mike

by Adrian L » Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:59 pm

Nice Mike!
Had my gear ready to go last night. Come day break, questionable forecast, and the cold factor, coupled with, 6am gas n' dash, NV - CNL...
Glad you guys got some at least before the dry/wet spell sets in...
Good stuff!
Adrian L

by Alton » Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:14 pm

Awesome dawn patrol session. First on the water with 9m + surfboard was a little light but soon enough it picked up to SSE 20-25. 3 kiters at 3rd Ave. 3 windsurfers at Centennial and another (Darrell?) at the boat launch. Inside waves by the boat launch were rather close together. Once outside we were treated with chest high breaking rollers with smoother sections between. Almost 2 hours of glorious wave riding ... so much fun!!!

BoundaryBay_Fri_Dec_1.gif
BoundaryBay_Fri_Dec_1.gif (25.11 KiB) Viewed 15782 times
Alton

by C36 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:38 pm

Closer? Got a call asking "Why are you at work, its windy?". But the sails-pitch wasn't too convincing (light on the inside and there 'might' be some waves on the outside). Bit anyways (since it looks like things are going to shut down for a while). Arrived to the 'party' and my buddies all took off (on a beer run?) ~ so I was left with four new drinking buddies - flat water, cold water, puffy/shifty wind and cold air temp. Luckily the wind filled in a touch and things came to life for a brief stint. Man is that 'cold water' ever a buzz kill.

Gallery (better for mobile devices)
Slideshow
C36

by Michael » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:58 pm

C36 wrote:Image

Closer? Got a call asking "Why are you at work, its windy?". But the sails-pitch wasn't too convincing (light on the inside and there 'might' be some waves on the outside). Bit anyways (since it looks like things are going to shut down for a while). Arrived to the 'party' and my buddies all took off (on a beer run?) ~ so I was left with four new drinking buddies - flat water, cold water, puffy/shifty wind and cold air temp. Luckily the wind filled in a touch and things came to life for a brief stint. Man is that 'cold water' ever a buzz kill.

Gallery (better for mobile devices)
Slideshow

Sorry I dragged you away from the office Dave, you sounded so excited to be there!
I expected you to be at the beach before me this morning. Instead I got some lame text about a marginal 25 knots? Anyways sorry you missed the best of it. It never feels good getting someone to come out only to greet them slogging back into the beach. Good for you for going out anyways, I'm glad it came back up and you were able to get in a session.

Arrived to the 'party' and my buddies all took off

Sorry I had to go home and thaw myself out after getting stuck out there and not being able to water start. Man that water was cold today! You forgot to mention the part where I came back to see how you were doing. Anyways not a bad session at the start but I should have worn gloves!
Man is that 'cold water' ever a buzz kill.

That's for sure! I hit the water with tonnes of stoke that lasted about 5 seconds.
Michael

by C36 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:54 am

Michael wrote:Sorry I dragged you away from the office... ...glad it came back up and you were able to get in a session.

Don't be silly, the decision to "go" was 100% mine, I own it completely, and how I responded to the conditions rests with me - nobody else. I'd rather get a 'heads up' for something that didn't pan out than hear "Wow that was awesome!" after the fact. Time outside in nature is never a bad thing. Funny fall with some solid days but some odd ones too. Further complicated by the strange reporting from the new iW/iK sensor (for me). Silly first world 'problems' and really not important in the big scale of things. All good.

My log tried to use humour to poke fun at the day to help release some of my frustration. Sorry if you took it as being directed at you. That was not my intention. I appreciate your friendship (an you coming back down to check in on me) and hope our friendship continues in future.

Michael wrote:Sorry I had to go home and thaw myself out after getting stuck out there and not being able to water start. Man that water was cold today! You forgot to mention the part where I came back to see how you were doing. Anyways not a bad session at the start but I should have worn gloves!

I figured something was up and was going to ask Mike where you had gone, but funky wind had me wallowing so far down wind I didn't get a chance to ask before he left the water. Glad everything was OK.

C36 wrote:Man is that 'cold water' ever a buzz kill.

Michael wrote:That's for sure! I hit the water with tonnes of stoke that lasted about 5 seconds.

Good reminder for everyone. The water is getting seriously cold and even short stints in the water can result in early stages of hypothermia very quickly. We are starting to get into high-risk conditions. Sail safe!
C36

by Michael » Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:24 pm

C36 wrote:Don't be silly, the decision to "go" was 100% mine,
Sorry Dave I was totally joking around dude. I think the lack of epicness at the beach these days has killed our stoke and sense of humour. :D
Michael

Return to Windsurfing