Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

General rules for gusty windsurfing

Windsurfing shop talk

by DBS » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:11 am

Hi all.

I sometimes windsurf Jericho during Easterlies like today, but am wondering about any tips for average-to-gust ratios. Today shows 15kts average with peaks at 24-28kts, almost double that at Centennial, and I see comments of 'uncivilized'

Still an intermediate and usually do the summer NW with 7.0m and 150l board in 14-18kts. Have done Jericho in winter a few times but with less gusts than today. Usually 5.7m in 14-18kts and low gusts, but the gusts today to 25+ make me think I can't adjust enough to depower. Plus the whole offshore wind aspect if it shifts more South. My water start is not the greatest either.

Are gusts at almost double avg. not worth it? Any comments or rules of thumb appreciated.
DBS

by ezzylover » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:25 pm

work on your waterstart, it needs to be solid both directions.
practice and sail even more, try to use smaller boards too that will help.
Don t go to far out until you feel comfortable, but not too comfortable otherwise you will not improve either. stay with the pack, upwind is always good.

Good luck
ezzylover

by grantmac » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:12 pm

When you are first starting rig for the gusts and deal with being underpowered in the lulls.
How much do you weigh? 150L becomes a lot of board past 20-25kts even for a heavier sailor.
Be patient with your waterstarts. Don't just give up and uphaul. Generally if you can plane then you have more than enough power to waterstart. Also review some videos on high wind waterstarts, they are good to have if you need it.
grantmac

by LeopardSkin » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:16 pm

grantmac wrote:When you are first starting rig for the gusts and deal with being underpowered in the lulls..

Today I rigged for the gusts. In the lulls, the 3.4 was still too big, lol.
LeopardSkin

by grantmac » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:23 pm

LeopardSkin wrote:
grantmac wrote:When you are first starting rig for the gusts and deal with being underpowered in the lulls..

Today I rigged for the gusts. In the lulls, the 3.4 was still too big, lol.

I snuck in an hour after work down here in Padilla Bay. Went from a 4.8, to 4.2 and settled on a 3.7
Too big in the gusts but manageable, underpowered in the lulls. 25g38kts, you just can't rig for that.
grantmac

by ezzylover » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:51 am

I snuck in an hour after work down here in Padilla Bay. Went from a 4.8, to 4.2 and settled on a 3.7
Too big in the gusts but manageable, underpowered in the lulls. 25g38kts, you just can't rig for that.

what do you want to do then ? windsurfing is like marriage, ups and downs, crazy moments of fun , but also some lulls which you have to manage with skills and patience. or is it the other way around marriage is like windsurfing .... not sure anymore. Conditions like this teach you a lot, such as listening / feeling the gusts, looking at the water for the best path, managing the lulls by using the wave or swell to keep planning. Talk to people on the beach ask for advice about the spot where to go etc...
Anyways, you have to deal with what you have because it will never be perfect, it is one of the challenges of this awesome sport.

cheers
Last edited by ezzylover on Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
ezzylover

by DBS » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:25 pm

Thanks for the replies and tips.

Obviously need to add another (smaller) sail to the quiver for 20-25kts (I am 75kgs) then get out and practice the water starts.

Ironically could not have gone out this past Sunday since I had to pick up a relative who was stranded on mainland due to cancelled ferries.
DBS

by grantmac » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:25 pm

That is a whole lot of board for 75kg, something 100-115L would be a good purchase. Doesn't need to be new by any means.
grantmac

Return to Windsurfing