Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Sunday BBay

Windsurfing shop talk

by ShonanDB » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:40 pm

Got to the Boat Launch just before 7am and on the water by 7:30. Rigged 3.7 and took out the 73L. High tide and fairly choppy until out by the second bank. Overpowered half the time so came in and more downhaul and outhall. Did a downwinder to Centennial Beach to join the masses and got some nice turns and jumps along the way. Found a few overhead faces when the tide started to drop but the wind stepped up with gusts over 40 so it was not a comfortable riding session but found a couple that set up nicely and timed well with a lull. One that sticks out was head high and starting to break - gybed on the face and had whitewater up to my waist and pouring over my board but came out to a nice smooth section and got 3 turns before it finished. Came in around 10 and rigged down to my 3.4 and it was better but still a handful in the gusts. Lots of port lip smacks on the way in but was only able to land back on the wave face a couple times. Hands were starting to get tired so took a few more blasts out and back with short rests in between until coming off the water around 11:30. Wore my open mitt gloves today for the first time of the season. Great turn out and some nice turns were had.
ShonanDB

by ezzylover » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:41 pm

bandito wrote:thank you all to leave me all the light powder all day at cypress ! :twisted:

lol 3 runs open no viz ...
ezzylover

by Simon » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:47 pm

Fun day, great to see such a big turn out, thanks for the pics Dave.
Simon

by Michael » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:30 am

Was a handful at first, wasn't having much fun with the cold and the blasting rain. Was thinking of packing it in but put on the gloves after a bit of a warm up and ended up sailing for another hour. Glad I went back out as things were sweet way outside, once I was out there I stayed out for the full hour. Waves were big and clean and I got in plenty of rides, wind must have dropped a bit because I actually felt in control of the 3.7 for the first time all day. Got carried way wave riding and ended up way down the beach when the wind died. Glad I was able to get back in.
Here's a shot of one of the big mackers from today.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-11-19 at 9.33.35 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-11-19 at 9.33.35 PM.png (3.76 MiB) Viewed 14543 times
Michael

by Slappy » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:37 am

Good day on the water taking the afternoon shift. 3.5 hours from 12:45 to 4:15. Wind was up and down, started with 6.5m but then switched to the 4.5m for a bit until it backed off and then back to the 6.5m.

Pelting rain hurt my eyes at times, hard to look in the direction you were headed.

Decent waves found all over all through the day, even at the end there were still beauties on the outside. Good boosting setup for port tack today, had a couple over 15 feet and no hard landings.

At 4:00 there were only 3 of us on the water and one of the other guys had a line snap so I towed him in.
Slappy

by Ryancr500 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:41 am

I was overpowered on my 3.7 the moment I hit the water! I Felt like a rocket was attached to my board as I took off from the beach. Barely able to keep my board in the water but so much fun. Besides being overpowered and frequently airborne, and blinding rain pelting my eyeballs, I had an awesome day. The waves were huge out there and fun to carve. Had to be careful though as I wiped out on a gybe and got rolled in the same spot by 3-4 waves, finally managed to get my equipment positioned to waterstart. I did one accidental backloop off a steep monster wave. Wish Dave caught that one on film! Thanks again for taking the time to snap photos Dave, It's always appreciated.
Ryancr500

by gabrielb » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:41 am

exfoliating rain. Waves were good. we've had bigger, HB was 1.8m (it has reached 2.6m a few times before). At PR, compared with past sessions, a few sets were head high but it lacked ride because it wasn't completely SE. It was like you had 2 waves crisscrossing S+SE. Strange but rideable, not the cleanest.
Windiest I have ever seen for 2017. Peak was at 10-11am, surf-wise... US customs guy wanted to join in next time (from LAX), hard to explain wind surf in 5 minutes ... I see people excited about surf in the lower mainland, no time to explain these days :( .

3 solid sessions in 1 week for surf.
gabrielb

by gabrielb » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:21 am

14+ degress tomorrow.

Thursday NW after 1pm , Acadia, etc...

tide is good under 12 ft.

It will be swift, 30 knots for 2 hours, shuting down after, but hitting 1m+HB

It will be an odd one...
wind.JPG
wind.JPG (31.95 KiB) Viewed 14353 times

eh.JPG
eh.JPG (74.35 KiB) Viewed 14353 times

old farmer's forecast still applies:
"
ANNUAL WEATHER SUMMARY: NOVEMBER 2017 TO OCTOBER 2018
Winter will be slightly warmer than normal, with below-normal precipitation and snowfall. The coldest periods will be in early and late December, early and late January, and mid-February, with the snowiest periods in early and late December. April and May will have above-normal temperatures, with near- to below-normal precipitation. Summer will be slightly cooler and drier than normal, with the hottest periods in early to mid-June, mid- to late July, and early August. September and October will be rainier than normal, with near-normal temperatures."

except the part of below-normal rain ... :shock: define normal.
gabrielb

by gabrielb » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:13 pm

morphing already... never seen before :ugeek:
m.JPG
m.JPG (78.06 KiB) Viewed 14293 times

SW with rain, maybe. WR

... now makes more sense, sunny SW (no stormy NW)...
Airport...
eh.JPG
eh.JPG (41.26 KiB) Viewed 14275 times

tide at 11ft ... useless to me (Olympic trail), enjoy (if you are fast enough)
gabrielb

Previous

Return to Windsurfing