Windsurfing shop talk

by LeopardSkin » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:23 pm

Maybe it'll be decent.
LeopardSkin

by Simon » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:05 pm

Planning my first trip there
Simon

by Slappy » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:58 pm

It would be nice to get over there one of these days but $150 in ferry costs is kinda steep.
Slappy

by C36 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:04 pm

It is important to recognize and honour the customs of the locals wherever you travel and CB is no exception. More specifically for anyone headed over to CB now or in the future please read (or reread) this first. The 'Mutts' (mid-island sailors) are generally a very friendly and welcoming bunch, but as can be seen here things have grown a little tense at CB lately when local customs have been ignored.

With colder temps and stronger systems looming, please sail with respect and safety in mind regardless of where you choose to sail.
C36

by Adrian L » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:26 pm

FYI there is a 30 second rule for your water starts; sealions are fattening up for the winter this time of year. Be quick, look around, and, don't pee in your suit...
Adrian L

by Simon » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:38 pm

Thanks for the etiquette rules Dave. Good read, good to know, and some comments had me laughing, especially winddoctor's first post in 2012. I go by the rule if in doubt, steer clear. A lot of it is common sense and courtesy. It would be good to have something on the rules between windsurfers and kite boarders. Sea lions may keep me on the beach anyway :shock:
Simon

by Richi » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:49 pm

Yes, whoever goes is representing all Vancouver sailors, please be respectful and don't act like a kook.

Richi

by bandito » Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:49 pm

and what are the so call rules there ? hope its better then The Hatchery use to be( pro right of ways, so so windsurfer and all kiters f@@#k off.)

I follow the rule of the waves: the way its peeling is the way I go or let someone go ,as a kiter. BUT I noticed like in Boundary Bay that LOTS of Windsurfer goes the other way(north to south ) when the waves peeling south to north, probably because its easier for them wt the wind direction or strength .I saw that at La Ventana too. I sometime for that reason change course to let the windsurfer enjoy that broken reverse line. But in general I will follow downwind south to north a peeling section with close out down/side wind and will let someone on their wave do the same even if they are not up winding and cutting my up winding line because RIGHT OF WAVE RULES OUT every other marine rules and local rules. That's a surfer mentality that I agree with.
As powder rules of Cypress: if its untrack leave it To ME!!!!! lol
bandito

by Michael » Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:44 pm

Great day at Columbia Beach. Punishing at times but rewarded with some epic moments. First on the water this morning, hit the water with my 4.3 and was caught off guard, couldn't line up waves and got punished in the break. Came in, warmed the hands and got the adrenaline under control. After that things got better and had some awesome rides. Was super powered up on the inside and even managed to get some air off the lip, which I didn't think I could do at Columbia. Was stoked after that even though it was a challenging day, felt really choppy outside, lots of current near the beach and I was mostly over powered. Rigged down to a 3.7, a KS3 I just picked up from Caleb, and caught the wave of the day, 4 really big turns fully powered and witnessed by Dave! Man that sail is sweet on the wave, felt soooo nice in the turns. Things got light for a bit and I was struggling to keep going, got rag dolled by a nasty gust and figured it was time to call it a day. Thanks for checking on me Nanmoo! I regret not putting on the gopro. Great to see everyone today, locals and the big Vancouver crew!
Michael

by C36 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:32 am

Eastside lining up another set in Udderland - Previously noted as Udder - the coloured helmet fooled me. :oops:

Nanmoo working it!

Both. Arrived in the dark and it seemed light, then switch was flipped 'on' just before 8 am. Early start with Tsawwassen (to check the high tide). 92/4.5 quickly felt big. 4.0/74 worked better and longer. Great to see many of Mutts out, but many missing (as were many from south isle too). For those not there, your company was missed. Lots of rides to choose from throughout the day, first high tide over the reef, then softer shouldered 'point' break in Udderland on mid-low tide (you often had to time your exit on the larger ones and once I got taken for a 'ride' for more hits than I was expecting as I wasn't close enough to the 'exit'). Saw Janetfish score about eight hits on one wave; Stokeometer rotate a clean forward on the outside; Tsawwassen catch a clean faced bomb into Udderland; followed Udder himself on consecutive waves well into Udderland; saw the raging 'Mississippi' River (behind the gravel bar in the lagoon down in Udderland (and thought it best to head out again rather than try to cross it); some BIG swell rolling through on the outside (mini water mountains); kites working the afternoon waves. Two shifts seemed to work well (windsurfers first, then kiters later) - maybe the Ho-okipa rule was in effect (more then six (wind)surfers on the water...)? Saw Moo head way down past Udderland to da Udder Udderland! :shock: Thought he was going to round the point. Good thing though as he was able to spot Jen having some drama with a broken inhaul and played a big part in the search and rescue effort by putting Ryan on notice. Rope lent, Ryan sent. Saw Jen pop up and then drop back in shortly later (further out) - oh no! Then saw her pop back up again and make landfall - whew! Inhaul and base tendon both within moments. Time for everybody to check and maintain their gear! Sorry for calling our conversation short Shaun, but I had told Ryan I would watch from shore to make sure they both made it in. Cold enough to cause the hands to tingle and drain some of your energy. There were some challenging moments, but it was a good day at CB today - something just felt right!

Gallery (better for mobile devices)
Slideshow

Ryan wrote:Thanks again for the down haul line Dave. Jen was very appreciative and will return some new line.

Most welcome! Glad it turned out well and Jen made it in under her own steam! You can just pass that one back next time our paths cross (it was next to new). Important reminder for us all to check and replace any things that are worn or starting to look tired (much easier to do on land than in the water).

bandito wrote:and what are the so call rules there ?...

C36 wrote:...More specifically for anyone headed over to CB now or in the future please read (or reread) this first. The 'Mutts' (mid-island sailors) are generally a very friendly and welcoming bunch, but as can be seen here things have grown a little tense at CB lately when local customs have been ignored.

With colder temps and stronger systems looming, please sail with respect and safety in mind regardless of where you choose to sail.
Last edited by C36 on Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
C36

Next

Return to Windsurfing