Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Formula vs lightwind freeride

Windsurfing shop talk

by shmish » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:30 pm

I've seen some videos recently of people planing and (relatively) ripping along in somewhat lighter winds. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uM1jtHPsWz0 Coupled with this was being at Squamish in lighter winds and simply wanting more time on the water. I met Rod the other day at the spit and he was on a formula board. My current board is very difficult to uphaul imo (older 100L, 59cm wide, tippy) which leads to stressful and exhausting times when I drop the sail in marginal conditions. Dropping the clew in the river at the Spit when there is marginal wind to help clear the sail is very tiring!

I'm wondering if anyone has ideas on pros/cons of formula boards vs something like a 125L freeride(MagicRide, Futura, Rocket, etc), sailing in 12 to 20 knots? I'm 66 kg and currently my biggest sail is 6.5. I could also try to get a used 7.5 sail.

I'm still also trying to get a used 96L freeride board, I've been looking for a couple of years (I was alway most of last summer). So I'm hoping to slowly improve my equipment in an affordable way. I just missed out on some inexpensive Sailworks Retros last year on Craigslist, I still have nightmares about that :lol:

Doug
shmish

by grantmac » Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:07 pm

At your weight I'd skip formula. They do plane early, but only with large ($$) sails and a very active sailor. Matter of fact they really don't work at all with sails under 8m.
Plus they are pretty much go fast and turn occasionally boards.

Something like a fast freeride around 110-125L and 70-75cm would be a way better bet.
grantmac

by Brian C » Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:45 pm

I agree. Formula boards are a good solution for heavyweights but us light folks can have way more fun on smaller lightwind gear.
I weigh about 70kg and use my Futura 111 with a 7m sail for light wind. I can plane in 13 knots or more; as long as there are small whitecaps I have fun. I used to have a 7.5 Retro but traded for a 7.0 and find the shorter boom length much more manageable. With a large fin (42cm) it jumps onto a plane with a few easy pumps.
When it is a bit windier (16-20 knots) the board is a lot of fun with a 6 m sail and 38 cm fin. Over 20 knofs I much prefer the smoother ride and easier turns on a freestyle wave board but they can't match the early.planing or speed of the Futura. I call it my mini formula board.
Brian C

by imdmitry » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:59 pm

I'm 67kg, ride Formula 156, Futura 114 and Rocke 135. Use all at Jericho when wind is under 20kn.

Futura - yes it's mini formula. Start planning as early as Formula but once you start using bigger sail than 7 the planning is not early any more. Easy to go upwind, very fast board, more feels like slalom board, original fin is big. Perfect wind > 14

Rocket - Start planning earlier than Futura with the same sail size but only because of the bigger volume. It's fun board, but comparing to Futura more bulky. Start feeling less controllable once wind is going higher than 18kn and waves becomes bigger.

Can uphaul on both without problem.

Join CLUBLOCARNO.COM and you can use them as well.
http://www.clublocarno.com/page-1841154
imdmitry

by shmish » Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:21 pm

Thanks for the replies. I will look into Club Locarno.

It sounds like freeride 115L to 135L will work. Maybe if I drop a few kg the lower end of that is all I would need. I have a 6.5 Retro, what are the chances that I'd want a bigger sail on a 125L freeride?
shmish

by grantmac » Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:42 pm

A 125l will go all the way to 8.5m most of the time.

Are you thinking flat water blasting? Or maybe light wind wave sailing?
New or used? Budget?
grantmac

Return to Windsurfing