Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Kugenuma Kaigan Japan Report

Windsurfing shop talk

by ShonanDB » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:17 am

Arrived in Japan on July 4th and just missed 3 days of pre-Typhoon waves and it has been fairly flat since.

Today was the first afternoon of wind and it was about 25 knots side onshore when I got to the beach (Kugenuma Kaigan/Shonan). Picked up my old gear from a friend and rigged my NP 4.7 NR and took out my same year JP 8'3". Waves were about thigh high with a few larger sets but lots of surfers in the water (100+) so I stayed on the outside most of the time. Got about 2 hours TOW before a rain squall came through and the wind backed off to about 15 knots. Called it a day and it looks like the next op will be a week Saturday. Water was about 20 degrees and my 3 mm shorty felt warm. It's hot here with the air temp around 32 but dropped to about 28 after the squall came through. Really nice to get out while here. Didn't see any other windsurfers but there were a few Kiters up off Enoshima, about 2 km NW of where I launched.
DB
ShonanDB

by C36 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:46 am

:D :D :D
C36

by gabrielb » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:16 am

maybe you'll see this guy ...

George at Seaside, small according to camera. He would be happy with a few waves like the video. If we had a decent break we all would lose our jobs, or work on Mondays like you know who.
gabrielb

by ShonanDB » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:01 am

Got a surprise session today as it was forecast to be 10-15 but we got a nice steady 20 knots. Rigged my 5.4 NR and got about 2 hours TOW before catching up with the family and heading to Tokyo Disneyland. Waves were about waist high with a few chest high sets coming through. Again the inside was crowded with surfers so stayed outside most of the time. Windy all day.
ShonanDB

by Michael » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:03 am

Hey Darrel, have fun over there! Get some pics, I'd love to see some of these spots. Hope TDL isn't too crazy, my wife reported 3 hour line ups at some rides. Too bad you couldn't skip out and stay in the line up with the surfers! :D It would be great to sail with you there some day.
Michael

by ShonanDB » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:37 pm

Thanks Michael. I think the family would have disowned me if I had stayed at the beach yesterday. Tokyo Bay was stronger with white caps everywhere. If we had had a car I could've brought my gear and launched right in front of Disneyland as it was gusting over 25 knots.
Regarding pictures, I will try to get some the next windy day. I have to carry my gear about 1km to the beach and didn't want to take a chance with bringing my phone in case it went missing. Japan is a safe place but things can go missing when at the beach.
I brought my GoPro and will try to rig it up for my next session. Next Fri and SAT are looking good on Windguru Enoshima.
ShonanDB

by LeopardSkin » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:59 pm

LeopardSkin

by ShonanDB » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:33 pm

LeopardSkin wrote:https://www.windguru.cz/208567

Let's go!

Sure, come join me. 9 hour flight and you arrive the next day, then a 3 hour bus or train ride and you're here.
ShonanDB

by george » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:52 pm

Outstanding Darrel. Any updates? Keep the stoke coming... sooooo flat here, can see the dog run away for 2 days.
george

by ShonanDB » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:52 am

Went to the beach yesterday and today here in Kugenuma Kaigan but could only sail today. Surfed small windswell yesterday with the largest waves around waist high.

Today had a little more wind and it was about 18 knots when I got to the beach around 1pm. Rigged my 5.4 and went out in the mainly on shore conditions. Lots of surfers in the water as it was Saturday so it made getting out a challenge. Once out I was well powered and stayed out for about an hour until the wind backed off just enough to make it difficult to keep planing. Got a few nice backside rides and got hit by a few jumping fish as they were everywhere today.
2 other local windsurfers joined in including a guy I used to sail with back when I lived here so it was a blast catching up with him and talking with the other guy.

Once the wind dropped, I surfed with a few friends for the rest of the afternoon until about 6:30 pm. The wind came back up but I had already derigged so just kept surfing. Decent wind swell with the larger sets around chest to shoulder high. Surfed in my shorts and a rash guard and it was warm. Great day on the water and I'll try to add some pictures and video when I have more time. Tomorrow looks similar to today and Monday afternoon looking really good (25knots +).
George and Gabriel, about 40 percent of the surfers were women so the scenery was exceptionally nice!
DB
ShonanDB

Next

Return to Windsurfing