Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Columbia Beach

Windsurfing shop talk

by Mike » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:57 am

Any opinions on the reliability of the forecasts (for example Saturday)? After a couple of failed Whidbey missions I'm quite reluctant on the long distance day trips.
Mike

by C36 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:28 pm

I'm at CB right now. Forecast is proving accurate so far, so I'm headed north to Comox AFB (actuals over 20 already). Hoping to sail CB in Sat mid-day & evening.
C36

by Mike » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:19 pm

Just checked out the Comox airport forecasts. Looks like some potential (good luck today Dave) and more tomorrow morning. BWD now shows local wind mid/late afternoon, but not strong on other models and is low tide... Contemplating a morning to early afternoon run to Columbia but undecided. Dave - Is there a reason you think mid day/ evening? I'm mainly looking @ BWD & the Comox airport forecasts. Also, the tide goes low in the afternoon (not sure if that matters at Columbia).
Mike

by Brian C » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:13 pm

Looks like locally tides will be a challenge: below 2.5m by early afternoon when the wind is forecast to arrive. Anybody remember how low a tide is still sailable from the boat ramp? May be only those on the island can score a session tomorrow.

Anywhere else locally to sail a SE during low tide?
Brian C

by Richi » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:39 pm

I believe the 1st sandbank appears at 2.25 m and the second at 2 meters. There's always point roberts, probably a good reason for a crew of guys going over.
Richi

by Brian C » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:46 pm

Good "point " Richi. I may start at Centennial mid-morning and move to the boat ramp or Pt Bob if wind delays necessitate. Hopefully we'll have a group to cross the border and spot each other at Pt Bob if it comes to that.
Brian C

by Alton » Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:58 pm

Mike wrote:Just checked out the Comox airport forecasts. Looks like some potential (good luck today Dave) and more tomorrow morning. BWD now shows local wind mid/late afternoon, but not strong on other models and is low tide... Contemplating a morning to early afternoon run to Columbia but undecided. Dave - Is there a reason you think mid day/ evening? I'm mainly looking @ BWD & the Comox airport forecasts. Also, the tide goes low in the afternoon (not sure if that matters at Columbia).

Hey Mike - from my limited exposure to Columbia Beach (2 sessions) both sessions did not deliver as forecasted on BWD but we didn't get skunked either. Saturday's forecast looks like a good one to try out Columbia (full day) so get there as early as possible just in case it backs off early. On both trips it was blowing at Ballenas Islands but it didn't reach Columbia. After plenty of patience the wind arrived along with all the locals - a bunch of friendly addicts just like us. You'll likely see DavidM there.

METAR/TAF looks promising for Comox Saturday morning so that can be your plan B.
Alton

by Alton » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:11 pm

Brian C wrote:Looks like locally tides will be a challenge: below 2.5m by early afternoon when the wind is forecast to arrive. Anybody remember how low a tide is still sailable from the boat ramp? May be only those on the island can score a session tomorrow.

Anywhere else locally to sail a SE during low tide?

Could be awesome waves at low tide. Saturday looks like a good opportunity to work on my kiting - shallow water and warm air temperature 7°C but lots of rain :( Maybe if I'm lucky I can score a double session.
Alton

by Michael » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:55 pm

Mike, I'm thinking of going as well, I might leave tonight because the really early ferry doesn't sail from Tsawwassen on Saturday. There is a 6:30 sailing from Horseshoe Bay.
The other 2 possibilities are walking out at the boat launch, which can be great at low tide but a long walk back. Also Point Roberts with the very low tide could also be awesome if the wind delivers.
Michael

by Michael » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:07 pm

Going to take the 10:45 ferry tonight. Anyone else going?
Michael

Next

Return to Windsurfing