Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Need a Broken Fin with M6 Screw Inserts.

Windsurfing shop talk

by mjamero » Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:34 am

I just discovered the fin screw inserts for the Starboard Carve I just bought are stripped. Bummer! Does anyone have an old Tuttle fin they could donate with large metric M6 inserts? This is the insert style that are used in most Drake fins that came with Starboard boards.

Or if you simply have the inserts that works too!

Thanks muchly!

mjamero

by Alton » Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:58 am

Clay wrote:mjamero may have fin bolt inserts that were 1/4" 20 threads per inch and some one put metric bolts in or vice versa and it cross threaded the inserts. He could use a thread cutter (thread tapper) to gently recut the threads.
Alton

by mjamero » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:06 am

Alton wrote:mjamero may have fin bolt inserts that were 1/4" 20 threads per inch and some one put metric bolts in or vice versa and it cross threaded the inserts. He could use a thread cutter (thread tapper) to gently recut the threads.

Re-threading was my first thought too. I own a Tap and Die set and tried. Unfortunately the inserts are too far gone. There is not enough material left inside to re-thread for bolts to bite.

The Drakes insert are M6 metric. Your point about the 1/4 bolts is likely correct. The board also came with another smaller fin that uses 1/4 bolts. I'm 99% sure 1/4 bolts were repeatedly used in the metric inserts.

So... now i need to find M6 x 12mm inserts or a dead donor fins that I can remove the inserts from.
mjamero

by Michael » Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:07 am

mjamero wrote:So... now i need to find M6 x 12mm inserts or a dead donor fins that I can remove the inserts from.

Have you tried Airtime? Ask Phillippe he might be able to help. He might even have some replacement bolts for sale. I know you can buy them I just can't remember where I've seen them for sale.
Michael

by Michael » Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:15 am

Michael wrote:I know you can buy them I just can't remember where I've seen them for sale.

Found them......

http://www.windance.com/Windsurf-Windsurf-Parts/

But still check airtime as I know he has a large assortment of nuts and bolts and has helped me out before.
Michael

by C36 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:28 am

If Airtime doesn't have what you need, Windance likely does - they stock fin parts.
C36

Return to Windsurfing