Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Darrell Bay and/ or Squam HWY windsurf launch?

Windsurfing shop talk

by AlexK » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:17 pm

Wondering if anyone has ever launched from Darrell Bay, Squamish or thereabouts off the HWY?
If filled, theoretically could be a nice downwinder to the spit, but don't know about any hazards, rules, etc? Anyone have experience with this?
AlexK

by Brian C » Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:12 pm

I scoped it out as a windsurfing launch a few years ago and decided that it wasn't great. Limited public access to the water that is only at the inside end of the small bay, in a pretty bad wind shadow. I don't think you could launch a kite there unless you had access to the private property where the house is out on the point. As a windsurfer, I think you'd have to swim your gear out to the windline.
If you decided that you were comfortable launching there, then I think the downwinder idea would be best, as the old ferry dock and other obstacles would be a challenge to land near.
Brian C

by AlexK » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:42 pm

Thx Brian
Too bad about that.
AlexK

by DavidJames » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:52 pm

Hey this is something I know about. In around '85 we used to launch from there and sail big boards to the spit as the gate was closed. We'd tow a short board behind us....... crazy kids! It is a terrible place to start from, unless you have to. Its pretty squirrelly and a steep drop-off the granite rock. Its also not much of a downwinder, more of a single broad reach
DavidJames

by Brian C » Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:30 pm

Great story about old times David. Out of curiosity, did you sail back at the end of the day too?? That sounds challenging on an old board, towing something!
Brian C

by DavidJames » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:34 pm

You could call it a shit show and the old couple at the house would just shake their heads. We did have to tow everything back at the end of the day. Sometime pumping cuz the wind was gone. I think there might be some pictures. I'm seeing my old sailing buddy in a couple weeks for a grad reunion and I'll see if he has any.
DavidJames

by Brian C » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:31 am

Love it! If the " young'uns" only knew what we use to go through, eh?!
Brian C

by AlexK » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:11 am

Great story David,
That does it for me. Won' t be trying that. Thanks for your thoughts. See you on the water.
AlexK

Return to Windsurfing