Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Oregon coast 2016

Windsurfing shop talk

by Michael » Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:49 pm

Simon wrote:My first Oregon coast tour was awesome. Thank you David and Michael, I really enjoyed joining you guys. I would have liked to have stayed longer, but need to be back at work. I may try to get down there again this year.

Glad you enjoyed it Simon, it was great to have you there! It's definitely an experience and really improves your sailing. It's hard to come back though isn't it!
Michael

by C36 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:53 pm

S11 –SUP – Agate Beach (2017 June 24)

Magic. High heat. Waist to chest high glassy waves. SUP. Exactly what was required. Lovely smooth rides with minimal effort for most of the session. So glad I took the ProWave down! Then moved past the peak into a rip and the swell size jacked. This was requiring more effort than desired, so rode one to the beach and called it. Windoctor got some awesome shots of the surfers in the lee of Yakina Head (incredible barrelling wave)! Returned back to South Jetty State Park south of Newport to find wind still teasing. Simon headed home. Windoctor and I pulled the plug too and headed south to the campo and passed through south wind under sunny skies on route. 33 when we left Newport and a brisk 12 when we arrived in Gold Beach. Strange.

Gallery (better for mobile devices)
Slideshow

S12 –SUP – Cape Sebastian (2017 June 25)

South Swell. South swell had arrived in earnest but it had a travelling partner – south wind. Pistol River was dumpy; Meyer Creek had a point break left and onshore wrap; Cape looked familiar on the uber low tide (lines of south swell) but a little rolly. Decided on the Cape. Windoctor said he would `rather read a book` when he saw the conditions, but I headed out anyway with the AllWave. Challenging, but rewarding. Windoctor graciously coached and shot photos. Tide was flooding quickly. Almost got barrelled in the mid-tide shore pound. Left the largest waves unchallenged as they were dumping in lines (at least that is my story and I am sticking to it).

photo credit: Chris Curran

Slideshow

S13 –windsurf – North Jetty (2017 June 25)

Surprise, surprise! South wind. Sunshine. South swell. North Jetty. We stopped at the visitor centre for a quick look-see and it seemed the gravity of Windoctor’s ‘book’ had been replaced by the freshening south wind. Next stop was the North Jetty and this is where we launched. Windoctor was amped to sailing down-the-line side-on conditions to port. He ripped a few (hundred) turns! I took out 5.3/115 but was stop-start and in the ended decided to call it after long energy sucking walk of shame courtesy of a lull and some current. Seasonal Gold beach resident kiter said the locals usually launch from the wayside to the north to avoid extra current from the Rogue River. Fun to try new spots and new moves - check out Windoctor’s ‘Seastar’ (below)! Busy day for an 'off day'.

Slideshow
C36

by lucas » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:16 am

I'm staying in Manzanita from the 30th-4th. First time for me in Oregon. Any "must do's" in the area? Or near by kite spot's I should check out?
lucas

by Alton » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:22 am

lucas wrote:I'm staying in Manzanita from the 30th-4th. First time for me in Oregon. Any "must do's" in the area? Or near by kite spot's I should check out?

I heard Fort Stevens and Oceanside are 2 more spots you can try out. Never kited the coast so I've got no tips.

Also wind seems to alternate between the Gorge and the coast. So if it's not blowing on the coast then head into the Gorge (Event Site and Roosevelt) ... and vice versa
Alton

by C36 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:40 pm

S14 – SUP – Secret Cove (2017 June 26)

All-day breakfast. Started the day with a SUP. First stop Cape Sebastian - super low tide (about a foot and half according to a local clam fisherman). No go – mixed swell, rolly and round waves. Second stop Meyers Beach. No go – too mixed and churny. Third stop Secret Cove. Some success – large, fast and powerful peaking waves. Challenging setup. Called it after taking more than a few on the head and Windoctor made pancakes for lunch wayside. Nice way to chillax. I went into town run errands and do laundry and got a text – “Secret Cove working well”. I didn’t reply (after all I had laundry to do). Second text, “Get down here.” OK, the laundry can wait. Arrived to see more approachable conditions with some big rides on offer. Windoctor mentioned he started off a little wobbly, but then thing kicked in a he was ripping. My pictures likely caught the wobbly part ~ oops. But WD is great sport (he laughed so hard when he saw the ‘seastar’ photo). Turned out better and more fun than morning of three strikes for me! The afternoon turns were for George! There was a local surfer who was super friendly and was all smiles (just like George) when I dropped into a sweet right. Heal fast! Another great ‘off day’ in Gold Beach. Funny part is there were five surfers in the line-up after we had left the water – looks like the `secret` is out! Local surfer mentioned this spot favours a high tide. Pad Thai from the food truck was a nice treat at the end of the day! Special thanks to Windoctor for the shooting and coaching in the morning, making all-day breakfast and for the afternoon surf report!

Slideshow
C36

by ShonanDB » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:25 pm

Nice, very nice!
ShonanDB

by gabrielb » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:33 pm

George won't be far away. Oregon Seaside day trip tonite :shock: , he ll be there at 7am getting a few waves, I ll tag along.
gabrielb

by Michael » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:34 pm

Thanks Dave, looks like I missed another great day! Those waves look so sweet, what a nice spot, maybe next year. :(
Michael

by ShonanDB » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:40 pm

Looks like WD is taking a call while he's carving up this wave face!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/64585307@ ... 677496183/
ShonanDB

by C36 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:51 am

gabrielb wrote:George won't be far away. Oregon Seaside day trip tonite :shock: , he ll be there at 7am getting a few waves, I ll tag along.

Glad to hear it! enJOY the day! :D :D :D

ShonanDB wrote:Looks like WD is taking a call while he's carving up this wave face!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/64585307@ ... 677496183/

Multi-tasking. :D ;)
C36

PreviousNext

Return to Windsurfing