Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Oregon coast 2016

Windsurfing shop talk

by LeopardSkin » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:33 pm

The pro finals saw more wind and bigger waves. Takas, wave 360s, high pushes, etc. The pros make it look easy!

The Coast was fun. The water is warm enough so you don't need booties. Soft sand launches. Nice friendly waves. Friendly people. No sharks. Will definitely return!
LeopardSkin

by Ryan » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:37 pm

Tony did well on the coast. I witnessed him catching a decent sized wave in very little wind. Everyone should enter the competition at least once, all levels are welcome and encouraged.
Ryan

by Simon » Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:38 pm

Is Golden Beach the best place find a campsite? I will stop at Hood River on Monday and then head for Pistol River / Cape Sebastian on Tuesday.
Simon

by 8mdude » Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:18 pm

Simon wrote:Is Golden Beach the best place find a campsite? I will stop at Hood River on Monday and then head for Pistol River / Cape Sebastian on Tuesday.

As a cheap vacationer myself, I stayed at some unpatrolled/free camping by Rouge river along Jerry's Flat road about 5 minutes east of Secret Camp.
8mdude

by C36 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:44 pm

S1 - windsurf - Pistol River (2017 June 18)

Flat. Advanced our departure to catch the beginning of the cycle. Drove as far as Salem the night before and through to Gold Beach this morning. Locals seemed pretty excited about the week ahead. Quick stop at the Cape and then off to `the rock`- even M agreed it was the better choice (low tide, no shore break and playful wind swell). Funny part is the locals were calling this flat. Wind and wind swell increased in intensity. A few of the pros were throwing forwards, backs and push loops with mechanical precision. Fun session minus the usual `haunted house` threats.

Gallery (better for mobile devices)
Slideshow

S2 - Windsurf - Cape (2017 June 18)

Imaginary friends. M and I left Pistol River when it really started to ramp up to leave some energy for a evening 'glass off' session at the Cape. We arrived at about 4pm and it was on fire. We decided to wait a bit. Redbaron came down and we all decided that the 'swell' was starting to build (if you squinted your eyes and turned your head sideways). Redbaron and M took to the water first and I saw them each get multi-hit rides on consecutive waves back light by the sunset. Awesome! I joined in the fun and caught a few of the ground swell although at times it felt a bit like you were riding imaginary waves. A day well spent for sure! Many thanks to Mandi for the photos!

Slideshow
Last edited by C36 on Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
C36

by george » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:32 am

Great work guts! Wish I could be there too. Has kiting been cancelled...?

Keep the reports and stoke coming. Flat looks awesome!!!
george

by C36 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:21 pm

S3 – windsurf – Cape Sebastien (2017 June 19)

Clear night skies and stars and NW wind gave way to early morning fog and south wind. Rinsed the salt spray off the van, grabbed breakfast and then off to the Cape. Wind ramped up quickly and 115 was too large after a couple of rides. Grabbed to the 92 and it was better, but it also became a handful. Waves got a touch mean and started to suck sand at the beach on the low tide. One mast lost (RB) and one board nose cracked (Luke). Waves began to flatten on ebbing tide and wind kept pounding so took a break and went down to check out the action at `the rock`. Rumour has it KP was throwing one-hand-one-foot back loops after we left and some pro freestylers took to the flat water in Pistol River proper for some evening `training`. Thanks to Mandi for taking most of the pictures at the Cape!

Slideshow

S4 – windsurf – Cape Sebastien (2017 June 19)

Early evening `class off` was shaping up well for M and Redbaron, but wind got punchy shortly after I got out there. Waves were way more open on the flooding tide. When the wind turned punchy I decided to call it early and save some energy for tomorrow (and avoid an evening swim). Shredded beef Super burrito with red! Thanks again to Mandi for most of the afternoon pictures too!

Slideshow
Last edited by C36 on Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C36

by gabrielb » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:26 am

34577789594_8f72ddb719_o.jpg
34577789594_8f72ddb719_o.jpg (2.62 MiB) Viewed 14237 times

nice photo C36!

let's analyze the photo: for the untrained eye we see a 10ft wave with C36 being in full control ... but there in no trace behind you, which tells me you turned trying to catch that little monster (back of your mind is worrying about it, frontal lobe is optimistic).
gabrielb

by C36 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:08 pm

gabrielb wrote:
34577789594_8f72ddb719_o.jpg

nice photo C36!

let's analyze the photo: for the untrained eye we see a 10ft wave with C36 being in full control ... but there in no trace behind you, which tells me you turned trying to catch that little monster (back of your mind is worrying about it, frontal lobe is optimistic).

Super gusty inside. Rolled off the back of the wave in front and was 'waiting for the next bus'. :oops:
C36

by C36 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:08 pm

S5 – windsurf – Cape Sebastien (2017 June 20)

Fits and starts. 9am arrival at the Cape held promise for a little air wave sail. But the wind pulsed and lulled and kept us guessing. Finally we all sailed what we rigged as there was no ‘prefect’ solution – 5.3/105 (M), 4.3/105 (RB), 5.3/115 (me). There were waves, jumps, rides, walls and washes. Red Baron stayed out longest and scored extra style points with his aerial off da lips! Impressive given the growing anger in the conditions. Next stop Pistol River.

Slideshow

S6 – windsurf – Pistol River (2017 June 20)

Expression session. Arrived at Pistol River to find all the pro’s out expressing themselves! Woman and men were all ripping – a mix of new faces (Kevin Pritchard, Matteo Spanu, Alissa from Holland, Tom Soltysiak) and familiar faces (Morgan Noireaux, Russ Faurot, JP, Jesse Cohen). The calibre, creativity and precision of the sailing was truly incredible to witness in person. KP was getting towering height on his aerials and the funniest moment was when JP witnessed one he immediately gybed, sailed into the beach and repeatedly bowed down to KP in the ‘I’m not worthy’ pose. Too funny! After the pro’s declared the area safe, M, Simon and I took to the water with Trudy, the Boss and few others. The Boss mentioned the wind was gusty and he was off to get his 3.7. He was right. Came back in to flatten my 4.0 and it felt a little better, but it was windy, BIG swell on the outside and as Leo mentioned, “Today you had to pay attention.” Simon managed to get to the outside and ride a healthy wave in and Tsawwassen found a new appreciation for the place and was in ‘the zone’ and came in all smiles! I had fun, but found it work with limited front side opportunities, not a lot of jumping (on purpose) and a few wide-eyed moments (one inbound wave that walled up that felt like it was logo high and sounded like thunder when it broke). The ‘haunted house’ was in effect today. We stopped in to check out the south jetty after dinner and it was frighteningly confused and crazy windy. Glad I’m not on a ferry here tonight.

Slideshow
Last edited by C36 on Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
C36

PreviousNext

Return to Windsurfing