Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Oregon coast 2016

Windsurfing shop talk

by C36 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:48 am

8mdude wrote:Same setup for me and Richard again on another nuclear day. First couple of hours (12-2pm) wind at 25-30 knots. Beginning to time when wave will break when coming from behind it. Then after 2pm it climbed to crazy 30-40 knots again. Mostly in survival mode -- not fun.

Wind forecast still good until the weekend.

Tomorrow Richard and I will try out the Rock. Waves seem more interesting and more selections.

Thursday maybe a little lighter (20-25 knots) so I can go kiting instead -- I kind of miss it.

Big question for me is whether to stay here until weekend or head back to the Gorge... Hmm decision decision decision..

Oh things can get 'interesting' at the rock for sure. :shock: Try and pick a low tide (less shore break and tempered waves) for your first session, if you can.

If the intensity of south coast is starting to wear thin, consider starting to make you way north SLOWLY with stops at Bandon, Florance, Newport, etc to check for sailable conditions, particularly if it is nearing the end of the cycle (although the end of the cycle is not that well defined right now - as Nanmoo noted over on BWD it seems like the never ending high pressure system right now). But is does look like there will be solid kite options on central and north coast later this week. The problem with leaving the coast is as soon as you do, you may miss it terribly and feelings of deep exhaustion, longing and separation anxiety may arrive. :D ;) :? :oops: :cry:

Enjoy the rest of your time! And please take some turns for those of us that are only there in spirit! :D ;)
C36

by 8mdude » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:32 pm

My dream came true: wave sailing. Enjoyed wave sailing at the Rock today with Richard again and more folks.

Wind is NW 20 to 25 knots. Fun riding with 3.4M/68L the big swell out - a lot of them taller than me. Also catching the waves on the way in is super awesome.

So found the answer to my question whether to go back to Hood River -- that is, I need a new mast. My 10 year old mast finally gave up on me when I was coming in and walking on shallow water when suddenly I heard a kaboom under the white water. Oh well it happens -- that's what the folks here say. Good thing I was in and already had a 2 hour session.

Nevertheless, I'm super stoked. You're right Dave that I'm already missing it terribly and feeling of deep exhaustion -- longing and separation has already arrived as soon as I left.
8mdude

by george » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:53 pm

Great reports 8mdude. Any more stoke to send? Sounds like a perfect trip.
george

by Michael » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:33 pm

8mdude wrote:My dream came true: wave sailing. Enjoyed wave sailing at the Rock today with Richard again and more folks.

Wind is NW 20 to 25 knots. Fun riding with 3.4M/68L the big swell out - a lot of them taller than me. Also catching the waves on the way in is super awesome.

So found the answer to my question whether to go back to Hood River -- that is, I need a new mast. My 10 year old mast finally gave up on me when I was coming in and walking on shallow water when suddenly I heard a kaboom under the white water. Oh well it happens -- that's what the folks here say. Good thing I was in and already had a 2 hour session.

Nevertheless, I'm super stoked. You're right Dave that I'm already missing it terribly and feeling of deep exhaustion -- longing and separation has already arrived as soon as I left.

Glad you got out there AJ!! Sorry to hear about the mast but ya it happens!
Michael

by 8mdude » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:58 pm

george wrote:Great reports 8mdude. Any more stoke to send? Sounds like a perfect trip.

It was a great trip all right -- got 6 sessions (4 nuclear conditions) out of 7 days. Bigwavedave forecast is 90% accurate, I think. I relied on it with the help of G-SPOT ext. Definitely a lot more quieter than at the Gorge so that part as well is a bonus. My only advise is to bring backups like backup mast, boom, sails... etc.

Accommodation is not bad either. Where I stayed (Rogue Inn) is $40USD a night with kitchen, wifi, tv, and private shower.
Last edited by 8mdude on Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
8mdude

by LeopardSkin » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:05 pm

8mdude wrote:Accommodation is not bad either. Where I stayed (Rogue Inn) is $40USD a night with kitchen, wifi, tv, and private shower.

This one?
http://rogueriverlodge.com
LeopardSkin

by 8mdude » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:11 pm

LeopardSkin wrote:
8mdude wrote:Accommodation is not bad either. Where I stayed (Rogue Inn) is $40USD a night with kitchen, wifi, tv, and private shower.

This one?
http://rogueriverlodge.com

Not that. That looks fancy.
8mdude

Previous

Return to Windsurfing