Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Oregon coast 2016

Windsurfing shop talk

by C36 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:08 am

S15 – windsurf – Cape Sebastian (2017 June 27)

Finale. Portland Dave, The Law and BWD himself all arrived in the last 24 hours. South swell was still pumping in and wind arrived. My trip came to a grinding halt shortly after taking to the water this morning. Light steady wind and south swell drew me out first, but on second run out I gybed, flipped the sail, hooked in, loaded the sail and heard a cracking sound and felt like me back right bottom rib fold into my internal organs. The weirdest sensation I have ever experienced out on the water. There are not to many things that would cause me to leave the Cape on a morning like this, but that sensation was one of them. On my way in I tried for one more DTL ride on the wave walling up, but my body refused to `go`. Nursed my rig back in under considerable discomfort, carried it up the hill where Leo and The Law graciously derigged for me. Debated about releasing the harness but did and it instantly felt some better. The good folk at Curry County Hospital reassured me they couldn`t see a break following a series of X-rays and follow-up CAT scan (to check the organs), but even if just muscular it is too uncomfortable to continue to sail on the coast. 15 sessions over 10 days was a great run. Sorry to see it end. Arrived back at the beach to say my good-byes and shoot a few sample pictures. The Cape looked to have ramped way up and was challenging even the most skilled of sailors out with super gusty conditions, but there were some moments of glory too! Hope this report doesn`t read as dramatic and that those arriving are treated to an even better run! Many thanks to all those who have sailed the Oregon coast before and inspired me to travel there too and to all who shared in my time there this year and special thanks to Windoctor for sharing all the great moments over the last few days!

Gallery (better for mobile devices)
Slideshow
C36

by Mike » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:30 am

Yikes Dave. I've enviously followed many of your posts. Be thankful it happened at the end. Hopefully a quick heal and nothing like the nonsense I go through.
Mike

by Simon » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:36 am

Sorry to hear about your injury David. Hope it heals fast.
Simon

by george » Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:42 pm

Dave, sounds nasty, good to hear you are ok, and safe trip home, talk soon.

Thanks for all your hard work in posting the trip details, pics and tales. It's a great read, makes me want to be there everytime.
george

by ShonanDB » Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:18 pm

Dave
Sorry to hear about your injury. I cracked my bottom right rib a few years ago when I clipped a wave at BB and couldn't sail for about 3 months. My harness somehow got underneath the bottom rib and the impact drove it up into the rib. Didn't really hurt at the time but felt uncomfortable as you mentioned. Hurt the next day though.
Take care.
DB
ShonanDB

by 8mdude » Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:42 pm

Hope nothing serious and you heal fast, Dave.
8mdude

by AdrienGrelon » Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:10 pm

My nose bonk at Columbia made me realize that if something goes wrong on the SOC, you're a long way from home...

Hope you heal up quick and glad you already had many great sessions under the belt before this happened.

I need to pour myself a strong drink before I can dive into all the reports and picture albums... it's just too tough to do so sober.
AdrienGrelon

by Ryan » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:16 pm

I hope you're back sailing soon Dave.
Ryan

by gabrielb » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:29 am

ribs, even with impact vest ... it's too sunny anyway.

to cheer up KD sent a few pics...

thumbnail_Bells Swell4.jpg
thumbnail_Bells Swell4.jpg (158.08 KiB) Viewed 15805 times

thumbnail_BellsSwell3a.jpg
thumbnail_BellsSwell3a.jpg (142.87 KiB) Viewed 15805 times
gabrielb

by C36 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:31 am

Awesome shot GB! :D

AdrienGrelon wrote:My nose bonk at Columbia made me realize that if something goes wrong on the SOC, you're a long way from home...

Hope you heal up quick and glad you already had many great sessions under the belt before this happened.

I need to pour myself a strong drink before I can dive into all the reports and picture albums... it's just too tough to do so sober.

Even more so in some of the more other popular destinations (PSC, Jeri. Puru, etc). That's what medi-vac is for. :D ;)

The good news is Gold Beach now has a brand new regional hospital where you can get initial care, get stabilized and then get you shipped home.

Quick stop at Swell City for a look-see and quick harness test. Optimistically though I would be able to sail there (modest pain, decent strength and decent mobility), but 'no go' (body rejecting the T3 harness - even the larger more supportive T7). After spending some time in Gold Beach, Hood River felt like Beverly Hills.
mini album

Thanks to all who have sent healing energy. Off to VGH today to try and get a solid diagnosis.
C36

PreviousNext

Return to Windsurfing