Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Oregon coast 2016

Windsurfing shop talk

by ShonanDB » Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:31 am

Michael

Great picture(s) and it sounds like another good trip to Pistol River. Wish I could have joined but we already had other plans.
DB
ShonanDB

by C36 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:30 am

Michael wrote:My Oregon coast tour came to an end yesterday, sorry for no daily session logs but due to lack of patience with the painfully slow internet and no energy I let Dave handle that task as he does a much better job than me anyways. :D Thanks Dave for all the photos, daily updates and sharing the adventure. ...

Must be nice to get a solid eight hours of sleep every night. :lol: :D ;)

S9 – windsurf – Florence (2017 June 22) continued
TRUDY LARY shots

Tsawwassen bottom turning on the wave with a roof

As gracious as always Trudy shared her pictures and here are some of my personal favourites from June 22 at Florence (with emphasis on the BWD crew who were there).

Gallery (better for mobile devices)
Slideshow
Last edited by C36 on Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
C36

by C36 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:41 am

S10 – windsurf – Newport (2017 June 23)

Return. Left Florence and the comforts of the Honeyman State Park to head north to Newport on the promise of the end of the cycle forecast. Windoctor had never sailed Newport before, but the funny part was it was the first spot that both Simon and I had windsurfed on the Oregon coast, although our experiences were very different – gentle for him, rather frightening for me. So today it was a return for us. The drive north of Florence is spectacularly scenic (as Jesse mentioned)! Quick look-see at Kus`spot at Muriel O Ponsler – beautiful spot with great access to the water. Neptune Bay also looked interesting for surf/SUP. We arrived around noon to find an oasis of a rigging area (very `civilized` as Alton would say), Trudy (she too had also grown weary of Florence), and 9m kites out in waist to should high waves! Local wisdom said the wind was to ramp up around 2pm. At 2pm it still looked light but enticing, so I took big gear (115/5.3) out for a try and Simon followed. First run – light. Second run – just powered. Third run – well powered (fully rotated back loop). Fourth run – Windoctor was running back up the beach to grab his own gear! On the mid-tide the day felt a lot like Long Beach but with a larger ‘playing field’ as the gentle slope of the beach makes for a larger break. Early clean lines of fun-sized waves melted away a little on the ebbing tide as more and more of the beach was revealed. Simon upped his success rate to three for four adding Newport to his list for this trip. He also took my old 5.3 Elite out for a test drive today so there were two sails flying C36 at times today – Simon (blue/green/orange) and David (blue/orange). The wind kept building and soon all three of us had rerigged to smaller sails (and board for me). Chris closed off the session making the most of the tail end of the cycle. Trudy said this cycle was one of the longest/strongest she could remember. Even with the long session WD had energy to burn and was doing calisthenics with his new prototype ‘bam-boom-inator’ when he got in. $11 overflow camping at the South Beach State Park tonight (some confusion at the gate about when and if it was going to open, thick swarms of mosquitoes at dusk and dawn, but dark and quiet). Ops. Almost forgot - thanks to WD for taking the time to shoot!

Simon taking the 2014 Ezzy Elite out for a 'test drive' (this sail, minus the numbers and graphics, and 4.5 will both be for sale upon return to YVR)

Gallery (better for mobile devices)
Slideshow
Last edited by C36 on Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C36

by Chuck » Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:15 pm

Michael wrote:My Oregon coast tour came to an end yesterday, sorry for no daily session logs but due to lack of patience with the painfully slow internet and no energy I let Dave handle that task as he does a much better job than me anyways. :D Thanks Dave for all the photos, daily updates and sharing the adventure. The Cape was a bit of a disappointment this year but was still fun and I managed to get in one aerial! I did acquire an appreciation for The Rock this year, thanks again for Dave convincing me to sail that day. After watching the pros for about an hour I picked up on a few things and was able to put them to the test and I'm looking forward to getting back there again. Florence in the end was the highlight of the trip though and thanks to Trudy for capturing this moment! There were a few other great moments that day, sharing the stoke with Dave, Simon and Chris and the party wave with JP was another fun moment, although they were all payed for by many good washings that day trying to slog out through those mackers!

:shock: Dood! :shock:
That wave is HUUUUUGE! (Insert Trump voice here)!!!!

Awesome man, sounds like you had a great time down there, good to see the mainlanders represent! I lived vicariously through the session logs and posts as I endured airports in Asia and too much time in the metal tube....
Chuck

by Adrian L » Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:52 pm

Sweet waves!!!
Right on Michael!
Wish I was on the water and not working... lol
Summer is here!
Adrian L

by Michael » Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:05 pm

Chuck wrote: Dood!
That wave is HUUUUUGE!

Adrian L wrote:Sweet waves!!!
Right on Michael!
Wish I was on the water and not working... lol
Summer is here!

Thanks guys, lots of fun down there, would be great if you guys could join us sometime!
Michael

by LeopardSkin » Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:51 pm

Hey I'm thinking August!
LeopardSkin

by Simon » Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:36 pm

My first Oregon coast tour was awesome. Thank you David and Michael, I really enjoyed joining you guys. I would have liked to have stayed longer, but need to be back at work. I may try to get down there again this year.
Simon

by Simon » Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:58 pm

8mdude wrote:My annual pilgrimage to Oregon coast and the Gorge between July 1-15.

Forecast looks good from Tuesday next week, have fun AJ.
Simon

by 8mdude » Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:25 pm

Simon wrote:
8mdude wrote:My annual pilgrimage to Oregon coast and the Gorge between July 1-15.

Forecast looks good from Tuesday next week, have fun AJ.

Thanks. Hope it holds for 2 weeks.
8mdude

PreviousNext

Return to Windsurfing