Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Britannia - Porteau Cove Downwinder Saturday?

Windsurfing shop talk

by Chris Klohn » Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:55 am

Hey Guys,

Anyone up for a 9 mile downwinder Saturday? 30-40 knots forecasted the whole day with 7 degree temps. The wind has to be N-NNE at Pam Rocks. If it's NE through ENE it's not worth it due to the wind shadow at Porteau.

I've done this one several times and it's a blast with a group. There's usually nice waist to chest high swell on the far side with this type of wind. You pull off to the left at the bottom of the hill into Britannia. There's a dirt access road that heads out to a large flat rigging area near the water.

Best to rig a half meter bigger than the conditions at Porteau on the way up or a larger board with a small fin. The wind fills in quickly at Britannia and continues to build along with the swell the further south you sail. The strongest winds are always early morning and they generally have more North direction to them compared to later in the day.

Park one vehicle at Porteau for a shuttle and the rest at the launch. My wife, son and I are skiing at Whistler this whole week. We are planning to head back to the Interior on Saturday. I brought my gear and truck just in case it's windy Saturday.

If it's windy and anyone comes up, look for a late model black Toyota Tundra crew cab with a black canopy parked at the bottom of the hill into Britannia. I'll plan on arriving at 0830-0900 on Saturday morning from Whistler.

Cheers,

Chris
Chris Klohn

by Chris Klohn » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:10 pm

Hey Guys,

Had a great five days of corduroy groomers with my a wife and son at a Whistler. Pam Rocks is 30G40 right now out of the NE! I'm planning to arrive to Britannia at 8am and launch around 9am. I'll hitchhike back to Britannia from Porteau if nobody else shows. Give me a shout on my cell at 250 Five Seven 2 three eight 4 8 if Centennial isn't blowing first thing. Looking forward to a wicked downwinder, hopefully not solo, tomorrow.

Cheers,

Chris
Chris Klohn

by Richi » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:59 pm

Sounds like fun Chris, but I think your going to be sailing alone as most guys don't have a 3.0 for 40 knots. I would love to see a photo of you hitch hiking on the whistler highway though. A photo of you, with a wetsuit and gear with your thumb out, might even out do your epic centennial shot.

Gotta see it to believe it, have fun.
Richi

by Chris Klohn » Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:05 am

Here we go again :D

Eta Britannia 0800. I'm hoping it'll back off to 4.0 ish. 50 knot gusts are not really that fun in a Northerly Outflow.

Cheers,

Chris
Chris Klohn

by Chris Klohn » Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:56 pm

Hi Guys,

Beautiful Op'd 4.2 conditions from Britannia to Porteau. Swell was waist high and spaced nicely on the far side. There was just enough North in the wind to catch a gust in at Porteau. The main wind line hovered about 100 meters offshore. Air temp started at 3 degrees and warmed up to 7 at the end of the session.

Got a ride back to my truck in Britannia from a kiter who lives up in Whistler named Dave Nelson. Awesome guy and thanks again! Great 5 hour session with a half dozen kiters at Porteau. As usual, zero windsurfers out. I guess Centennial or White Rock were great today. Just leaving Britannia now to drive back to Kamloops.

Cheers,

Chris
Chris Klohn

by AdrienGrelon » Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:26 pm

Damn, super down to do this with you next time!

Had group meetings all day, but my 3.7 is just begging for some 40knots. Should be buying a truck next week, when my license gets in in the mail.

Hope Centennial starts cranking again to absorb the cost of insurance!
AdrienGrelon

by Michael » Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:34 pm

Hey Chris sorry you had to go it alone. I'm too sick to even get out here at Centennial, although it doesn't look too epic, so I'm working instead. That must have been fun! Was it hard to get back into Porteau though? Also wondering if you could have just stay up at Britannia Beach? Over powered on a 4.2, that would have been a 3.6 for me I'm assuming? Not sure if I could have sailed continuously for 5 hours in that or did you make it down to Porteau sooner and sail around there for a while? Looks like there is going to be some SE action this week at Centennial though. I should be able to get out by then.
Michael

by Chris Klohn » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:14 pm

Hi Michael,

No sweat with the cold. Our son has been on and off all week too. Today would have been 3.6 for you. I sailed down to Furry Creek and then took breaks on the 14th green before heading down to Porteau. I sailed about one hour at Porteau. Tomorrow will be the same conditions :D

Checkout the last 24hrs...........unreal!

http://weather.gc.ca/marine/weatherCond ... tionID=WAS

Cheers,

Chris
Chris Klohn

by LeopardSkin » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:47 pm

Cold. You guys are crazy!
LeopardSkin

by Chris Klohn » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:07 am

Hey Tony,

Bought an Ocean Rodeo Soul. Best money I ever spent. It's as light and comfy as gortex bib pants and a jacket and insanely warm. I tried an Ion Fuse but found it too heavy and bulky for me. I bought the Soul with the full stocking foot and it fits perfectly inside of my 5mm booties. Had it out in zero degrees and forty knots and never came close to getting cold.

Cheers,

Chris
Chris Klohn

Next

Return to Windsurfing