Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Harness line lenghts

Windsurfing shop talk

by Simon » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:21 am

In Jem Hall's wave sailing articles, he suggests longer harness lines (28" to 30") are the way to go. Measure from elbow in the loop to callous (end of palm) on the boom for the right length. Then have the boom set higher. If this is the case, then I have my lines too short.
I would be interested to hear your views on this. :?:
Simon

by Michael » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:50 am

I use 30" lines but I'm going to try 32" soon. Great for wave sailing and over all control.
It's one of the first things Wyatt and Tyson talked about in San Carlos and Matt Pritchard said the same thing to me as well. As Jem would say Get into it! :D Oregon Coast is coming soon!
Michael

by max.spock » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:28 am

If you're sailing constantly overpowered and in very strong winds (i.e. >30 knots) go extra long, meaning 2"-4" over fore arm length otherwise I feel like it negatively affects your posture. You end up looking seated instead of nice and straight.
Cheers
max.spock

by Simon » Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:33 pm

Thanks for the information guys. I will get some 30" lines from Airtime.
Simon

by mjamero » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:59 pm

There are lots of variables when it comes to line length: Sailor size and weight, Seat vs waste, Wind/Sea conditions, style of Windsurfing, Boom Height, Stance, Harness line Brand.

I am 5' 6" and 138 lbs. I sail with a seat harness and am currently using 32" fixed Chinook lines. I "may" drop down to 30". At times they feel slightly long but then other times they feel perfect. For now 32 feels pretty close to ideal but I will experiment more this coming season.

I had a similar question as you when I switched from a Waste to Seat Harness early last season. Please read the thread concerning harness line length I started over at iWindsurf. You may find it helpful.

http://www.iwindsurf.com/forums/viewtop ... a35cf15515

In the mean time, perhaps get a set of adjustable lines until you dial in your ideal length. However, I myself checked out the adjustables over at Air Time and North Shore Ski and Board. Their adjustables only went up to 30 inches. So, if you are looking to experiment with lines 32 inches or more you might be out of luck locally. You may need to special order. Good luck!
mjamero

by grantmac » Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:02 pm

This also depends on leg and arm length plus style of board. I'm stumpy in the limbs and longer lines put me very hiked out which will spin out a small fin. So I need the lines a bit shorter and boom a little lower.
That is using a seat which works fine for my larger gear but is showing big issues for the smaller stuff.
grantmac

Return to Windsurfing