Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

SE Friday

Windsurfing shop talk

by Slappy » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:15 pm

Glad to hear lots of people had good times on the water today, wish I could say the same though.

I was out from 2:45-4:45 and the waves were choppy and reflected and disorganised. Went up and down wind and couldn't find anything decent so switched to the TT.

Some decent boosting opportunities with 7m + TT but it was just too damn gusty so either you drop like a stone or loft even higher.

When I came in at 4:45 I was going to switch back to my SB and head down to Centenial to look for some decent waves but the wind had ramped up to 30g40 and I didn't feel like switching to 5m so just called it.

I don't think you missed too much Tony.
Slappy

by C36 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:27 pm

Power. Day unfolded as advertised/forecasted - the 'wind bomb' was for real. Gentle start at Gabriel's Beach and Boundary Bay. Waited until wind and swell started to increase. Got to the tipping point around 1:30. Pulled the 4.5 out of the van and by the time I got the mast into the sail the wind had increased to 4.0. Took the 4.0 and 92 out and was lit! Wind backed to make it comfy then it banged up a gear. Back to grab the 3.4/74 for the rest of the session. Water offered more ladders (jumps) than snakes (rides) at first. Lots of people hit big floaters today! Got upside down (and twisted) a few times today. The confused water made you take the pocket waves offered, then things smoothed out just as Massimo arrived to offer up some smooth swell out past the second bank (enjoyed a few smooth rollers with M out past the second bank). Big crew of weekday sailors today. Sorry to see Adrian L buckled his smaller board today. Wind just kept coming - lots of power!

Pre-Launch OSR 1
Pre-Launch OSR 2
Pre-Launch OSR 3

Gallery (better for mobile devices)
Slideshow
Last edited by C36 on Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
C36

by tweegster » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:42 pm

3rd Ave from 2:30 until 4:30, at times well OP on my 7m. Waves disorganized but got better near the end. Ramped right up though and it was a fight to slow down.

Lots of fun boosts, didn't stick many landing at Mach 5. Not many nuking days in the last year so fun was had.

:mrgreen:
tweegster

by C36 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:00 am

Sorry to read there was some drama up at 3rd. Hope any injuries were only minor and heal quickly. An important reminder for us all to keep safety paramount.

It is also worth noting the Metro Vancouver parks staff were checking to make sure there were no kiters launching at Centennial Beach on Friday (luckily Mike and Chuck were both using their windsurfing gear :D ;) ).

Maintaining access to the spots we enjoying using is a collective responsibility.
C36

by Alton » Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:11 am

C36 wrote:Sorry to read there was some drama up at 3rd. Hope any injuries were only minor and heal quickly. An important reminder for us all to keep safety paramount.

It is also worth noting the Metro Vancouver parks staff were checking to make sure there were no kiters launching at Centennial Beach on Friday (luckily Mike and Chuck were both using their windsurfing gear :D ;) ).

Maintaining access to the spots we enjoying using is a collective responsibility.

sixlinewrasse wrote:The ambulance and fire trucks left around 4PM after responding to dragged injured kiter. Watched Sue launch her 5m and get dragged until she crashed her kite on the beach side. Launched Chris on his 5m, OK. Launched around 0415 and only a few 5m kites left. The wind was punchy near shore, but smooth and steady further out. Should have quit after an hour, but was feeling on top of the world until my chicken loop popped off. Tried to re-set the bar but rope got tied around my ankle, etc. Finally dragged in and Les caught my kite but lost my customized Slingshot Screamer with large green fins.

Wow! That's 4 incidents I now know of:

1. Broken ribs and abandoned kite
2. Self rescue at Centennial
3. 5m drag
4. Popped chicken loop and ankle

No shame in abstaining from uncivilized conditions
Alton

by gabrielb » Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:08 pm

Went back to PR 3:30pm to 4pm to join George surfing, even though HB was about 1.7m, and it was not the 2.6m from last year, the waves were breaking twice, when sets were breaking it was coastal surf, not seen often.
Next to jetty it started to get glassy, could've stayed until dark there, but nobody left, nice rides.

Different wind conditions compared to blown out conditions last year, each session is different. :|
gabrielb

by vrtclhykr » Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:23 pm

Great afternoon on 7m until pendulum under the kite on a big jump. kite inverted. Thanks Cash for keeping an eye out while I self rescued. Alton also at the beach. Cheers guys. Great ride.
vrtclhykr

by AdrienGrelon » Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:22 pm

What an epic late birthday present yesterday was! Awesome conditions, awesome turnout, epic times!

AdrienGrelon

by Michael » Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:54 pm

Awesome!!
Michael

by Mike » Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:31 am

Awesome is right! Funny as it sounds, I really like the wave wash out. Why? because it shows how big they got (not often for that location).
Mike

PreviousNext

Return to Windsurfing