Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Maui windsurfing day 1

Windsurfing shop talk

by Michael » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:57 am

Tony360 wrote:Hi Michael, looks like today at Kanaha was pretty good, I was put off by the small north shore swell report and surfed at Kihei Cove on the 2-4+ ft south swell instead. Nice and clean waves on the south end by the lava point.

What do you think about the next 3 days for wind? Forecasts are a bit mixed and I probably can only get one more kite pass from the wifey before we go home on Saturday, but I'm thinking that tomorrow has the best combo for wind and waves. Hopefully see you out at Lowers one of these days, I'm usually on my black Naish Ride 10 unless it's really nuking ;)

Hey Tony, I'm not sure, the forecasts are mixed and todays was way off. It was 35 knots today at Sprecks. I sailed there instead of Kanaha because there was no swell there today.
Glad you scored that South Swell at Kihei Cove. I was there yesterday and it was huge!
Michael

by Michael » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:41 am

AdrienGrelon wrote:Make the most of it and train up for those epic coast days coming in soon!
Well today felt more like Pistol River than Maui! Total nuke fest, 35 at least on the outside at Sprecks. Sailed with Lubo and put my new (to me) sails to test today, started on my 5.3, then 4.7 and then 4.3, which was good most of the time but still overpowered at times. After spending the last few sessions slogging and riding it took a bit to get adjusted to Oregon Coast wind! After 3 sail changes I got dialled in and sailed until 5:30. Made some of my best jibes ever today, fully powered on the out side just ripping through the waves, felt good! The Firelights rock! Some big swell rolled through near the end and I got some Pistol style wave riding in. Man I wish I lived in a place were you could sail in these conditions all the time. The days when the waves are small you can sail at Sprecks and work on jumping and when the swell returns, Kanaha, Kuau or Hookipa, wherever you want.
Attachments
SprecksView.jpg
SprecksView.jpg (825.64 KiB) Viewed 16841 times
Lubo.jpg
Lubo.jpg (758.56 KiB) Viewed 16841 times
SprecksWave.jpg
SprecksWave.jpg (902.17 KiB) Viewed 16841 times
SprecksTurtle.jpg
SprecksTurtle.jpg (846.67 KiB) Viewed 16841 times
SprecksJump.jpg
SprecksJump.jpg (886.24 KiB) Viewed 16841 times
Michael

by C36 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:32 am

:D :D :D
Was that day 4? :D ;)
Last edited by C36 on Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
C36

by Michael » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:17 am

C36 wrote::D :D :D
Was that day 4? :D ;)
Yup, I'm losing track. :D
Michael

by Michael » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:56 am

First time this trip I was able to plane off the beach at Kanaha. Was stoked until I got outside and the wind died. Slogged around and caught 2 waves before it was down to nothing. Just made it back to the beach. Mahalo! Probably my last day today, unless I get a session in before my flight tomorrow.
Michael

by C36 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:25 am

Hope you get in a splash and dash before you go! Safe travels!
C36

by Tony360 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:29 am

Michael wrote:First time this trip I was able to plane off the beach at Kanaha. Was stoked until I got outside and the wind died. Slogged around and caught 2 waves before it was down to nothing.

I must have gotten there before you because it was nuking most of my session. I chose to take my 10 instead of 7 as it was light on the beach, but I had the depower fully out and at times I had to keep the kite at 12. Waves at Lowers were small so I headed way upwind and found some good ones (3-4ft) way out past the airport no fly zone. The combo of the NW swell and the trade chop made for some bowly sections perfect for hitting the lip and fs airs.

That's the last Maui kite session for me this trip. Trades were light and waves were pretty small but still better than a good day at home. Mahalo Maui see you next winter!
Tony360

by Michael » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:35 pm

Last day, last chance at sailing Maui! Got to Kanaha Uppers with Lubo rigged and then realized my harness was packed in the car after my wife had already left. Couldn't get in touch with her and was standing there rigged watching Lubo sail, desperate I noticed the HST windsurfing van in the parking lot. Asked the guy in desperation if he had an extra harness and luckily he did! Funny a few days earlier I was standing on the cliff at Honoloua Bay watching some epic surf action and a surfer comes up to me desperate asking if I had an extra leash! He had forgotten his at his place and was freaking out at the thought of missing some of that action. Honoloua Bay is amazing! I couldn't believe what I was seeing as well, the clear long smooth waves breaking over the reef were impressive! I was tempted myself to go out but didn't see any SUPs so was a bit hesitant, my gut feeling was right as I found out later this is strictly a none SUP zone! I heard later that the Starboard boys did a photo shoot out there and got in server shit from the locals. Anyways I lent the guy a leash and he was incredibly grateful, and so was I to the guy at HST for lending me a harness. The day started at Uppers with a few good wave rides, and finally so decent wind fully powered most of the time. I found a place were the waves were breaking nicely but things got disorganized fast and it was hard to find were the waves were breaking so Lobu and I decided to head to Lowers. We found some nice sets, although small a few big ones rolled through and I got in some nice hits. I really found myself getting into the grove finally and started remembering things I learnt from the Oregon Coast last summer, too bad it was on the last day. I found it really hard to leave the break and kept going out for more, eventually I realized Lubo had left and I remembered my family was waiting for me on the beach. Reluctantly I went in to find Lubo packing up and my family waiting patiently, now down at the lowers parking lot thanks to Lubo telling them where I was. Said my goodbyes to Lubo, returned the harness to HST and said goodbye to Maui! I have to say this trip was the hardest for me to leave, not great conditions and was frustrated to not have done a few things I wanted to but still grateful I got to spend the time there again, I do them next time Mahalo Maui!
Michael

by C36 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:27 pm

M: I find the best trips are the ones where you feel you made gains since there last but there is a hint of unfinished business that builds a hunger to return! :D ;)
Thanks for sharing some of the highlights from your trip with us! 8-)
C36

by Michael » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:55 pm

C36 wrote:M: I find the best trips are the ones where you feel you made gains since there last but there is a hint of unfinished business that builds a hunger to return! :D ;)
Thanks for sharing some of the highlights from your trip with us! 8-)

Thanks Dave, wish I had of taken some pics of Honolua Bay but found this one from the cliff. Amazing place definitely on the list for next time, just need to work on my surfing.
Attachments
915A5081-1024x683.jpg
915A5081-1024x683.jpg (123.2 KiB) Viewed 16700 times
Michael

PreviousNext

Return to Windsurfing