Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Maui Report

Windsurfing shop talk

by Bryanl » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:01 pm

Well - nothing much to say - the nothing is here just now - no wind although some people got out at Kanaha yesterday late.
I watched the Pros on Foils & 9m sails at Kehei, waiting for the wind to come up.
Was really rainy Tues & Wed but the weather is great now - just need the Trades to come back
Bryan
Bryanl

by Tony360 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:26 pm

Maui Sessions 2-4:

Saturday was a total bust, with about 11kts of wind. I did the treadmill on Naish Beach for a bit walking upwind, and then decided to see if there was wind outside, which was a huge mistake. Sure enough in the Boneyard my kite fell out of the sky and the red line got tangled between the center lines, still not sure how that happened. While I was trying to figure that out the light wind dragged me around in some fin-deep coral so I got some sweet reef cuts on my feet and knees before drifting in to Kite Beach for an embarrassing walk of shame. I had no idea that the boneyard was that shallow, there are some spots that it's almost dry. Will be staying out of there from now on if I can help it.

Sunday and Monday - Two good 10m days in a row at Naish Beach (Lowers). Yesterday was a little bit stronger wind and bigger swell, today a bit cleaner and much less crowded as it wasn't a weekend. Wind was slightly underpowered today for the 10 but still fun. Got a gem of a wave at Lowers today that allowed 5 top turns including an end closeout session. I wish I still had the Gopro as my wave riding feels like it's really improving. In underpowered conditions I have found that a downloop timed with a top turn really cranks the right amount of power going the turn.

Forecast looks light and smallish swell (for Hawaii) for the next few days so I might have to surf instead.

I'm feeling like I'm ready to graduate from kiting Kanaha to Lanes where the waves are bigger and better shape - does anyone have some good tips on the launch? With that tiny beach, cliffs and reef it looks super gnarly.
Tony360

by Bryanl » Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:46 pm

Much improved - 5.0 & 86l yesterday.
4,2 Hucker & Gorge Animal to day.
Lots of Chop & gusty wind near shore but way better outside.
Trades are finally here.
Thank you for your sacrifice Michael.
Bryan
Bryanl

by Michael » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:21 am

Bryanl wrote:Much improved - 5.0 & 86l yesterday.
4,2 Hucker & Gorge Animal to day.
Lots of Chop & gusty wind near shore but way better outside.
Trades are finally here.
Thank you for your sacrifice Michael.
Bryan

You're welcome, looks like some nice size swell too, catch a wave for me! :D
Michael

Return to Windsurfing