Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Ebey Landing Early Tomorrow?

Windsurfing shop talk

by Chris Klohn » Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:06 pm

Hey Guys,

I'm staying over tonight at a friends in Langley and then driving back to Kamloops tomorrow. I'm planning on sailing Point Roberts first thing tomorrow with the tide setup if there's wind...........should be pretty sweet!

I just arrived back from overseas today and only have my 84L Quad, 2.8, 3.2, 3.7, 4.2 in my coffin bag. If it's not solid 4.2 for me, 3.7 for Alton, first thing I'm heading south to Ebey Landing. I'm sure they'll get some sub 4.0 winds and big swell down there tomorrow with this forecast.

I'm planning on leaving at 500am to be on the water by 700am. If anyone's interested in heading down super early if the wind isn't up locally pm me.

Cheers,

Chris
Chris Klohn

by Michael » Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:48 pm

Hey Chris, welcome back. I'm staying close to home tomorrow as I'm still fighting the flu but hopefully I can get out for a bit. Chris if you want to sail here you're more than welcome to borrow a bigger sail from me. G-Spot is showing wind coming in later in the afternoon so the boat launch at Centennial is an option. Probably where I'll be going tomorrow.
Michael

by Chris Klohn » Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:57 pm

OSR Ebey Landing

0700-1030 Slept in the car until the wind woke me up.
1130-1200 Marginal 4.2
1200-1300 Powered 4.2
1300-1400 Overpowered 4.2
1400-1500 Overpowered 3.7
1500-Rigging 3.2 right now
Chris Klohn

by Richi » Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:40 pm

Chris wins the gold medal just for owning a 3.2 in his weight category, congratulations! :D
Richi

by Chris Klohn » Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:11 pm

Hey Richi,

Thanks for the Gold :D I'm sure it went off locally too with that much wind out of South. I actually ended up on my 2.8 from 330 until now :) From 4pm onwards there was so much spray in the air it was hard to see.

I would guess the gusts in the mid to high 50 knot range. I'll have to check Smith Island and see what happened after I get home tonight. Ebey is usually a little stronger as it's in the narrowest part of Admiralty Inlet on a SE blow.

There were no kites and six other windsurfers all with a Washington plates. All guys started on 5.2-5.7 sails and finished with 2.5-3.0's at 500pm. Beautiful big smooth swell head to just overhead high on the outside and nice peeling 3-5 foot waves close to shore. I chickened out on the jumping at the end feeling way Op'd.

Today felt like a day at Doug's rigging down every hour or so. My forearms are beat and I'm not looking forward to the drive home and snow on the Coquihalla. Great way to get over jet lag though! Post up some pics of Point Bob and the swell today if you can.

Cheers,

Chris
Chris Klohn

by Richi » Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:04 pm

Congrats on scoring such an epic session! Good thing other guys didn't follow as not sailing because of too much wind is worse than skunkage.

I find it unbelievable that you got to use a 2.8, let alone be overpowered. I guess that investment pays for itself with one use, I may have to expand my own quiver.

I wonder where the Washington guys would post their pictures, I should look around to see if they have a forum. I have no pictures from today as I'm sitting around nursing an ankle sprain from soccer. Just sitting around listening to the pounding wind and reading all the osr's, BASTARDS! :x

Hope to see you around one of these days, hopefully more of a gale than a storm though. :)

It's still cranking!!!
Richi

by Chris Klohn » Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:23 pm

Hey Richi,

I've got 11 sessions on the 2.8 since I bought it two months ago. Anything with steady 40 knots or more and I can usually get it going okay. I've sailed a friends 2.5 twice on the Caspian. The winds were 48 gusting to 60 on the handheld Kestrel that day. I still prefer a good 4.2-4.7 day with big swell. The golf umbrella sailing is hard to see with all the spray in the air.

The 2.8's 132cm boom was a little strange at first but great after you get used to it. The sail isn't twitchy at all and very stable on the 340 Skinny. The 84L Goya has been so sweet. Did you end up picking your Quad too? I still can't say enough about the Goya, best money I've spent so far on equipment.

I'm just in Mount Vernon having dinner watching the trees flailing around outside. I see it's gusting to 50 knots now at the Ferry Terminal..........insane!

Cheers,

Chris
Chris Klohn

Return to Windsurfing