Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Second hand buying tips

Windsurfing shop talk

by sailnumber7115 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:47 pm

Hi guys, Great site.
I am a 16 y/o girl who is on the national sailing team for my dinghy class.

I would love to do some cross training on a windsurfer when my partner can't make it to sailing or when the breeze is up. I'm looking for something cheap and easy that I can go out in breeze, mostly looking for a fun ride, and improving my balance and core/general strength..
Not to mention the 'boat feel' and 'rudderless sailing' techniques that windsurfing is based on.
The breeze that I normally get in my bay is 5-15 knots, 15 being in an excellent day and little to no chop, so I would like something that I can train in with minimal breeze, but is also somewhat suitable for heavier wind when we get it

Tips in looking for a board? Or anyone selling something that would be of use?
Thanks so much :)
sailnumber7115

by C36 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:01 pm

You should be able to find what you are looking for at a great price. Given that you are looking to sail in 5-15 knots and are sailing in a bay (which might require some upwind, off the wind work) your best bet might be a Mistral IMCO One Design.

There are also a lot of older ‘open class’ longboards around that would likely be lighter, better rigged and better performing than the IMCO One-Design. Personal favorite is Fanatic Ultra Cat.

This video shows this difference between the older IMCO board (longer, narrow board with a daggerboard) and modern day Formula boards (shorter, wider boards with long fin and not daggerboard). As you can see in the video the Formula board to windward performs more like a international 14, while the IMCO One-Design performs more like a Laser. The problem with formula gear is it will require steady wind, large body of water and more skill (sailing with a harness).

Hope some of this makes sense. If you see something you are considering, post a link here and we can give you our thoughts on it. Good luck and happy sailing! :D
C36

by sailnumber7115 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:37 pm

Thanks for your reply C36
These all look like great tips.
There is a board like the Mistral one Design available down in Seattle, the full kit for $200, I'm looking into getting that.
Thanks once again for your advice :D
sailnumber7115

Return to Windsurfing