Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Windfoil show and tell JP/NP

Windsurfing shop talk

by telus022420 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:06 pm

I originally wanted to buy a foil for an existing slalom board. This discussion dissuade me from that purchase.

Video is 24 minutes.

https://youtu.be/JuNKCIi9UuA
telus022420

by adam2 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:59 pm

I don't understand, what part disuaded you?
adam2

by telus022420 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:41 pm

I was at Waterfront park when Slingshot were working on the prototypes foils for retro fitting existing windsurfing boards (deep tuttle, powerbox). They said ball park would be around $900 US and will be ready to order in 2017 (aluminum not carbon).

It looked amazing and a lot of fun. The best guy sailing was the one with a specific board designed for the foil.
Windance also mentioned they would be sailing an affordable windfoil in the future.

I'm dissuade cause:
1. A wider board for best control and enjoyment (85 to 90cm).
2. Bottom shape rounded vs flat to distribute the force of a forward crash.
3. Strengthen area tuttle box.

Will a windfoil work on my board. Yes.
Will I have good control (58cm wide) No.
Will my board withstand the extra pressure of a foil on the front of a tuttle box. I guess not as the box was not constructed with that kind of pressure in mind. It will break sometime.
Will my body recover from crashes. Yes (but slowly).
Will my board/boom/mast recover from crashes. Maybe, most likely something will break.

Its best to buy the board and foil combo from JP/NP. Off course it'll be around $4000 US. Can't image how much a windfoil sail will cost! Off course they'll have a different boom and mast to match!

FYI: Northkites new foil design; it may work its way to a windsurfer too!
https://youtu.be/quNpSAt2JGo
telus022420

by adam2 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:08 pm

Ah okay. I was looking at slapping a track mount setup on an old slalom board for my kitefoil, but am hearing that old pintail boards aren't ideal. I also heard that the BIC foil will be available in the new year and will be a deep Tuttle setup. The foil alone will run $2k USD, that's without a board. I could buy an LP for the same price so I think they may have a rough go with it. They probably should have done an aluminium/composite foil that they could price reasonably.

Speaking of LP foils, a friend of mine in HR picked one up for his BIC Techno at the start of summer, and they have been working so well together he picked up another similar setup for his place on the Gulf in Texas. He's not at the level of Tony and the Slingshot and Sail works guys, but the board seems to be working just fine for him and isn't holding back his progression at this point.
adam2

Return to Windsurfing