Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Boundary Bay Weed Fins

Windsurfing shop talk

by mjamero » Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:40 pm

LeopardSkin wrote:Usually big boards are powerbox, and small boards are US box. Are you sure about your boards?

100% sure :D

As per the Starboard 2014 catalog:
Kode Freestyle Wave 94l
Factory Fin: Drake Freewave 28
Finbox: US Box
Fin range: 14-33
Sail range: 4.5-6.5

As per the JP 2006 catalog:
JP FSW 78l
Factory Fin: Freestyle Wave 23
Finbox: Power Box
Fin range: Not specified
Sail range: 4.0-5.8
mjamero

by mjamero » Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:46 pm

Michael wrote:I can lend you a fin if you a strapped for cash. Just let me know when you are coming out.
The only issue is, like Tony mentioned, my bigger Mano fin (26) is power box and then I have a 23CM and 20CM US box Manos. The 23 will work on your 94 but it might feel a little small.

Thanks Michael. I may take you up on that offer if I have not found a weed fin in the short term. It would be good to at least get a feel for a weed fin and the sizes. As you said, the 23 might be too small. The included factory fin is a 28. If a weed fin feels smaller than regular fin then I probably need a 30-33 perhaps?
mjamero

by Michael » Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:37 pm

mjamero wrote:Thanks Michael. I may take you up on that
No problem.

mjamero wrote:I probably need a 30-33 perhaps?
I think that would be too big. I use a 26cm on my 110L and that's plenty, I think Alton used to use a 23cm on his 93 JP?
Michael

by mjamero » Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:54 pm

Michael wrote:The Mano is popular, use the fin selector guide to choose your size.
http://www.makanifins.com/collections/windsurfing-fins/products/mano-weed-wave-windsurfing-fin

I called Trident Sports and they recommend Makani as well.

What about the Makani ONO? It came up with the fin selector. It's a Freewave weed fin and perhaps is better suited to a Freestyle wave.

26cm or 28cm? The Kode 94l with it's sail range could go either way.

http://www.makanifins.com/collections/w ... =297219733

I'm hoping to find something second-hand but so far it's been kind of quite locally for weed fins and the Boundary season is fast approaching. Maybe need to go new for the Kode. Fins are pricey new :shock:.
mjamero

by mjamero » Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:33 am

I just ordered the Makani ONO 26cm. When I spoke to Makani this is the fin/size they recommend for the Kode FSW 94l. They graciously offered a solution to make it more inline with what I paid for the board. They are Canadian which I like and there are no borders or customs to deal with. With any luck it should be here the end of next week. If the fin is as good as Makani's Customer Service as well as other's recommendations it should be awesome! EXCITED! :D
mjamero

by Alton » Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:36 am

Congrats. Makani are awesome fins and money well spent. They also perform well without weeds.
Alton

by mjamero » Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:41 am

My 26cm ONO weed fin from Makani just arrived. That was FAST!

I'm all set for Boundary. Bring on the humiliation. :D
mjamero

by mjamero » Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:11 pm

I did a test fit of the new Makani ONO and it was slightly too big; too long for the box. I was concerned I purchased the wrong fin and/or would need to return it. I spoke to Makani and I guess this is a common thing with new fins? They had my sand down 2-3mm to shorten the length. A file and about 30 minutes of tweaking and all is good now. Anyone else need to "Modify" their new weed fin for fitment? I sort of thought it was plug'n play.
mjamero

by C36 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:16 am

mjamero wrote:I did a test fit of the new Makani ONO and it was slightly too big; too long for the box. I was concerned I purchased the wrong fin and/or would need to return it. I spoke to Makani and I guess this is a common thing with new fins? They had my sand down 2-3mm to shorten the length. A file and about 30 minutes of tweaking and all is good now. Anyone else need to "Modify" their new weed fin for fitment? I sort of thought it was plug'n play.

Oleg wrote:Its not the fin - it's fin box (paint, it was Friday afternoon production). After you shortened the fin you will see it will go deeper in your future (newer) board.

Happens with other boxes as well.
I have few DTT and same fin sits differently in each.

As anyone who has seen my fin bag would likely agree, I have more than the average number of fins. :oops: I also really like Makani fins so have a fair amount of experience with them. Some of the early Makani powerbox fins had sizing issues from what I saw. Luckily they were all larger (much larger in some cases), so with some effort (using a power belt sander) you could fit them. The last few generations they have improved their quality control from what I have seen, so it is more in line with some minor tuning, but no longer requires major work. As Oleg noted different boxes will fit differently too. Based on personal experience, it is always a good idea to rig and tune new gear at home (which you have done) to avoid unpleasant surprises and missed time on the water at the beach. Tuning fins also applies to US box fins (standard and multi's) particularly length on weed fins (as they are usually longer at the base) as having to trim length, round vertical corners and/or move pins to get proper fitting is pretty common. Hope there is something here that is useful for you.

Hope you enjoy your new fin!
C36

Previous

Return to Windsurfing