Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Squamish, need help with equipment

Windsurfing shop talk

by xtreme21girl » Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:32 pm

Hi guys! I gonna be in Squamish on 9th till 11th July. Was trying to find any windsurf rent, but seems that place is occupied with kiters... Do you know probably where I can find a good freestyle equipment for higher winds and slalom gear for lower winds?
Or maybe someone can borrow me anything for a session?... Really wanna check Squamish out but got pissed off when saw that windsurfing there is not that popular :(

Thanks
Maria Esyutina
xtreme21girl@gmail.com
xtreme21girl

by Alton » Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:54 am

mjamero wrote:What type of windsurf gear are you wanting to rent? If you have the means to transport it (van or roof-racks), Windsure at the Jericho Sailing Center does rentals. 99% of their rentals are short term and onsite. However, I remember speaking to the owner and he said they can arrange rentals for long term and offsite. I'm not sure the costs or what they require for deposit. Contact Bernard at Windsure. http://www.windsure.com 604-224-0615. Even if he can't help you directly, he may have other suggestions. Cheers!

Hi Maria - There are no windsurfing rentals at Squamish so check with Windsure in Vancouver. Even though kiters outnumber windsurfers at Squamish, there is still a good windsurfing turn out on the weekends.
Alton

by Alton » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:01 am

Hi Maria - Maybe you can rent from Don who is selling all his windsurfing gear. Don also lives in Squamish so that would be very convenient.

See viewtopic.php?f=22&t=1753
Alton

by Jennifer » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:15 pm

Hey Maria -- super stoked for you to come to Squamish. I'm the only girl who freestyles there and would love to have you join us! Generally in the river there's 3-5 freestylers maybe 8-10 on a perfect day (nice flat water on low tides) plus another 10-15 windsurfers who come and going between the river and other areas. Then there's a handful of slalom sailors who race around farther out. There's another group that launches at the other side of squamish at Nexen beach (as opposed to the traditional spit launch which is the popular kite launch). The benefit of Nexen is there's a grassy rigging area for windsurfers and there's a different beach the kites launch at down there (so no risk of stepping on kite lines :), then you can sail directly in front of Nexen for bump and jump conditions or tack (about 3-5 tacks depending on the wind) to get to the river.

Gear is for sure an issue, there's really no where to rent in squamish. If you can bring your own that's best. If that's impossible but you're staying in Vancouver (and have a car) then you could consider joining Locarno (a club based out of Jericho Sailing Center in Vancouver) they have the best gear to borrow including freestyle and slalom boards and a great selection of sails. You just need to pay a club membership, jump through a couple hoops to get approved to take out the highwind gear and you're set. Although you can only borrow the gear a day at a time so works best if your base is Vancouver rather than squamish. Also would take a day to organize and is a year membership so probably would only work if you were staying here a little while to make it worthwhile.

Let me know if you have other questions!
Jen
Jennifer

Return to Windsurfing