Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Anyone SHIP a board from Hawaii or Over the Boarder?

Windsurfing shop talk

by mjamero » Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:23 pm

My quest for a couple smaller windsurf boards continues. Pickings are kind of slim right now on the local used markets. For fun I was looking at Craigslist Hawaii and other Craigslist locations over the boarder. There is a 2009 Futura in Hawaii for $200. Also found a Carve 99 and 111 over the boarder in the 200 - 300 range.

Anyone purchase a board on Craigslist (or similar site) and ship it to the Lower Mainland? If so, how did you ship it? What did it cost? AND... did it arrive in one piece?
mjamero

by Michael » Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:51 pm

I've shipped 4 boards from the states. 2 from Maui, one from the Gorge and one from Isthmus Sailboards in Wisconsin!! First off buying any used gear from Hawaii means it's well used. I've always bought from a dealer so they've arranged the shipping ( usually UPS ) but I paid for it. It's about $150 US to Point Roberts, it would be much more to Canada, and it might get damaged. Only one board was damaged, the nose had a small crack but because it was from a dealer they were very well packed. You will also have to pay duties and taxes unless you go to the states for a short trip, pick it up and get your exemption.
Michael

by arg » Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:14 pm

I have shipped windsurf boards, and a SUP, from Maui to Portland International. Wasn't exactly convenient, but because I used it as an excuse to go sail in the gorge/coast it worked out okay. Each windsurf board was $100 for shipping, $150 for the SUP, and the seller added some $ to the shipping fee to make the sale. The purchases were from two different rental companies in Maui, and yes one of the boards was well used but it was in good condition as verified from pictures provided before the final sale, the other windsurf board was near mint, and the SUP was used but effectively brand new, as always, buyer beware. Boards were well packed, and the ones I purchased were received by myself without shipping damage. Pickup at PDX was easy (United), but be prepared to take the cardboard with you, depends on who was working.
arg

by Richi » Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:01 am

Hey arg, just wondering for future purchases. When you shipped to airport and pick up at airport, are you shipping through an airline or a courier like fedex? Do you have to pick up the package the day of or are you allowed to let it sit for a few woks than pick up?
I have wanted to do this through Seattle airport, but don't know which carrier to use.
Thanks for the info, rich
Richi

by Slappy » Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:57 am

I would go through PR instead of trying to ship it in to Canada. It will probably be double the cost to ship to Canada and then you'll get hit with another $75 customs brokerage fee on top of that. The only way to avoid steep customs brokerage fees is to get it shipped USPS.

I had a SUP shipped to In Out Parcel in PR and it was free shipping and cost me $3.50 to pick up.
Slappy

by arg » Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:50 pm

Rich, I didn't arrange the shipping. I didn't ask either, but it sounded like the seller, again commercial rental outfits in Maui for two different purchases, used a local Courier who in turn had an account with United Airlines. PM me and I can tell you the name of the rental outfits if you want, both were great. As the board was brought over by United, when I looked at the website for United, it described the time window for pickup without storage charges, just keep digging, and you can find all this information online. I provided an email address/cell phone number to the rental outfits, who in turn provided that information to the Courier company, so when the boards were received in PDX, I received an email. I had it shipped to PDX rather than Seattle because I was heading to the gorge anyway, and the timing logistics for me to avoid traffic worked better for PDX. At the time, the rental outfit wanted to keep the shipping costs down because they paid 50% of the shipping fee, and they agreed to send the boards only to a major airport in mainland USA. Oh, and the price I paid was perfect, as I was able to return with the gear a few days later and each time claim the boards yet because the price was under the limits imposed by our government, I didn't have to pay duty (trade off was Oregon IPA and gas $).
arg

Return to Windsurfing