Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Sunday

Windsurfing shop talk

by C36 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:45 pm

Onshore light. White Rock East Beach seemed like a cake walk compared the morning session. A little light at first and then it cranked for a while. Even on the low-mid tide there was enough water for the wind to make some shapes over the bank. Jumping in both directions, backside rides ad even a couple of frontside tries. Fun to share the water with Chuck (kite), M, Ryan, AG (Stokometer), Tony, BradR, Norvan, and many more.

Pre-Session OSR

Gallery (better for mobile devices)
Slideshow
Last edited by C36 on Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C36

by gabrielb » Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:00 pm

As always, thanks C36, Dave for taking the time and taking pictures.

My comment is that today morning was not really SE , even surfing, the long right was missing; hope next would be a true SE, better for windsurfing.
gabrielb

by ShonanDB » Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:08 pm

Had a "Dr Jelyll and Mr Hyde" morning session at PR with C36 & AG today. It went from side shore (ESE) big gear (5.8 and 105L) cruising with knee to thigh high waves to a full on survival fest with chest to head high+ onshore breaking waves on my 4.7 & 73L. Should have rigged the 4.2 as the 4.7 was just too much no matter how I adjusted it. Saw some of the biggest waves I've ever seen on Boundary Bay today and like Mike said in his comments, I also got rolled by a big section that closed out on me and it took my gear to the beach. Found it really tough to get off the beach at that point as it was dead on shore and got humbled each attempt. Good to see that it wasn't just me as all 4 of us were spectators at that point. Watched the surfers catch some nice rides, then the sun came out and the wind started to back off so I packed it in to get back to a family commitment. Had the GoPro with me again today but it didn't charge properly so no footage unfortunately. I would have loved to have seen that wave close out on me and some of the rollers as they came through.
DB
ShonanDB

by Michael » Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:10 am

Mike wrote:Yep, Centennial delivered today. First ever wash out in a wave at Centennial for me towards the end which is a clue to how good it was (mini Maui washout but enough to tumble once in whitewater, then swim hard a few minutes chasing my year as it surfed away). Followed the enthusiasm to white Rock in spite of about 3 hours tow. Massive turn out there. Wind was straight on shore and maybe 5.3 so I called the day and took the win home on account of little energy left. Probably would have been good kiting on a surfboard but likely < centennial was.

Had the same thing happen to me Mike, and the exact same thought came to mind. :D Really nice day out there today. Some of the nicest waves in a long time. Stayed far out even though I knew the switch was coming the tide was low and the risk of the swim was worth it. Caught some really nice rides in the sun and the walk back through the shallow water was totally worth it. Spring Centennial sailing is awesome! :D Hope we get a few more days like that before the season is over. White Rock was a bit of a let down after that but still fun at times. Great to see everyone out today!
Michael

by AdrienGrelon » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:55 pm

After some pensive reflection, I decided that despite blowing half a tank of gas on the chase, yesterday was overall a very good day in the way of poleboarding.

The small window of side/side-on at Gabriel's Beach offered a few epic moments before turning fully onshore and unlaunchable. After showing up to Skunktennial just in time for it to warrant keeping its trusty name, a highspeed topless convoy started charging south. White Rock teased for long enough to make me start questioning my 3 dollars on parking (and that's cheap for parking!) but alas, the wind Gods took mercy on my hefty gasoline investments for the day and rewarded us with enough wind to make the trip more than worth it :D

Between Gabriel's Beach and WREB, the day offered: euro-DTL/frontside tries (decent bottom turn and shitty/nonexistent cutback) on both tacks, forward loops and jumps on both tacks, surfvival training, light wind slogging through waves training and the chance to catch up with old friends - not bad!!

Centennial may have been the better call in the am given what actually happened with the wind, but I know for certain now that GB has insane potential on ESE, both for riding and jumping. Before it turned fully yesterday, I caught a few awesome boosters and forwards (on the way in/starboard), and the spacing between faces was super smooth making for hero duck gybes near the break wall. I think that is THE place to learn backies locally, assuming it lines up. I think there is potential for a better-than Columbia Beach setup (call me the unicorn hunter).

Looking forward to more!
AdrienGrelon

by Richi » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:33 am

For the love of God, please stay away from the unicorns Adrien.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (36.29 KiB) Viewed 7878 times
Richi

Previous

Return to Windsurfing