Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

The Official WTF OR Coast 2016 Thread

Windsurfing shop talk

by C36 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:14 am

S26 – windsurf – Cape (June 22)

Breakfast Club. Started the day with an 8 am cool stable wind session with Portland Dave and DB. Solid wind right form the beach made exiting with jumps really fun! Small playful wave rides were also on offer. Dana took to the water just as we left for Crescent City.

Gallery (better for mobile devices)
Slideshow

S27 – windsurf – Cape (June 22)

NorCal. Smaller waves (good) and stronger wind (good) than when M and I SUP-sailed here two years ago. Warm air, sun, smooth waves and side-off conditions were well received by the group (especially after hearing reports of `crazy` wind at the Rock).

Slideshow

S28 – SUP – Crescent City (June 29)

The group followed Pete and Lisa to the north for a surf/SUP session. Udder was super keen to go “surfing in California” once he realized we in NorCal! Most of the others waited for the evening class-off for an impromptu SUP contest (that we were only told about once we returned back to the beach). Official results are as follows.

Udder (long soul ride)/BWD (hit the lip & paddle twirl) – 1st place (tie)
Thelaw (single good wave)/Fish (snappy cut backs)/C36 (soulful style) 2nd place (tie)

Lisa (amazing wave selection) – 1st place long board division

DB (skilful rides) – 1st place funboard division

Slideshow
C36

by C36 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:26 pm

S29 – windsurf – Pistol River (July 1)

Palyful. Most of the BWD crew had a sleepover at the Chateau WallMart in Crescent City last night in the hopes of a morning SUP session and afternoon windsurfing session, but the waves and wind had other ideas. After a couple of rather odd morning encounters with the locals, I headed north back to Gold Beach and after a quick look-see at the Cape decided to sail at `the rock`. Low tide and steady wind made for a playful day. Wind swell was tightly spaced and Leo said he thought the wind felt onshore to him. I overhead another frequent flier say they did their longest walk back up the beach ever today (likely the result of being underpowered and washed). There were some healthy sized wind swell to mark Nanmoo's first return to Pistol River in two years. On one ride inbound I was being chased by at least four rather tough looking waves that I swear looked like they had teeth! I decided it was a good time to sail into the beach for a drink of water instead of taking my chances punching back out and saw BWD calmly gybe and head out against the grain (brave soul that he is). Downwind Dave celebrated Canada Day in style by dawning a Canada costume complete with wrestling mask and throwing forwards at Pistol River. Nice to see Windsurfish and Janetfish arrive safely and a nice surprise to see JoeBlo out on the water today!

Slideshow

S30 – windsurf – Cape (July 1)

Glass-Off. Nanmoo, Redbaron, DB, Seattle sailor and I followed Luke out for the evening glass off at the Cape. BWD and Udder kept an eye on us from the bluff. Luke tracked down the background south swell like a hunting dog and the rest caught a few waves too. This was the first open ocean session for Seattle sailor and he was super stoked to be sailing the Cape, punching out through the waves and catching his first wave! With a little luck there may be more in the morning!

Slideshow
C36

by Michael » Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:10 am

Nice shots again Dave! Looks like the weather is still great, you must be getting tired, I was exhausted after 9 days.Crescent City session looked fun, wish it was like that when we went.

Ryan wrote:Impressive sailing Michael!

Mike wrote:Yeah Michael! Definitely some next level sailing.

Thanks Ryan and Mike that means a lot coming from you guys! Ryan, I hope your second trip has been good. Mike I hope we can sail together down there sometime. I was sorry I had to come back and didn't get much time to sail with Ryan, Adrien and Massimo and Darryl. I hope those guys are enjoying it,I'm off to the Okanagan again today, see you guys again in the fall!
Michael

by AdrienGrelon » Sun Jul 03, 2016 4:40 pm

Incredible trip. Tough to recount all the great moments in one post. A big thanks to everyone who made it so memorable and to all those who documented/photographed the good times!

Counting down 355 days till we're living the dream again in Gold Beach, OR...

AdrienGrelon

by 8mdude » Sun Jul 03, 2016 4:56 pm

Leaving the Gorge and on my way to Cape Sebastian. Very stoked.
8mdude

by C36 » Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:52 pm

S31 – windsurf – Cape (July 2)

Moose knuckles. Early wind at the Cape called the remaining BWD campers to the water for one last `camp` session. Windoctor and Thelaw had both headed north the day before and DB left early that morning as there wasn`t enough swell to surf/SUP early morning. Those that remained were treated to some west swell. Playful waves were made challenging by moose knuckles or rolls. Still fun but the south swell seemed oh so sweet by comparison. Headed north about 2:30 pm after the session. Qucik look-sees at Bandon (HUGE and too light to sail) and Florence (enough wind, but not enticing enough – must be running out of energy). Made Hood River by 10:30 pm. It was fun while it lasted! Thanks to all the BWD wave campers for sharing yet another memorable trip! Many thanks!

Slideshow
C36

by C36 » Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:27 pm

Michael wrote:Nice shots again Dave! Looks like the weather is still great, you must be getting tired, I was exhausted after 9 days.Crescent City session looked fun, wish it was like that when we went.

Saturday was a long day (morning session at the Cape then 8 hour drive to the hood. When I arrived at Florence Nanmoo seemed keen to go out, but the coast had worn me down and I was too war weary. Today was better - "A change is as good as a rest!"

S32 – windsurf – The Wall (July 3)

Warm up. Nice to be in the heat of the Gorge (after the cool coast). Was planning on heading to Swell City after the Windance swap, but Bart suggested near east and the actuals there looked more promising. Took a look-see at Swell and it was flat/patchy/gusty as was Doug’s so kept driving out to The Wall as it had been blowing all night and the swell should be rolling. Arrived to find wind and swell and JP out on the water killing it on 4.0! Talked to a few locals (sails ranged from 3.2 to 4.7) so decided to rig 4.0/92. Wind backed a little and it was stop-start when I took to the water. It backed again so I took a break for lunch and Chuck showed up along with Tyson and Wyatt. Chuck headed out and looked a little under gunned at first so I replaced the 4.0 with 4.5 and that was much better. Wind steadied and then ramped up so felt fully spooled to overpowered in the end. Fun to play in the river in the rolling swell. Time to head back and check out the corridor.

Slideshow

S33 – windsurf – Swell City (July 3)

Cool down. Stopped at Doug’s on the way back and a couple of sailors just off the water said it was crazy gusty (as the graph was showing). So kept rolling to Swell City. Wind was up and down, but looked like the 4.5/155 would help to make it work. Nice better than average rolling swell here. Out I went for a pre-dinner hour. Fun to sail in somewhere familiar. Swell was fun providing backside riding and jumping, then some cross chop started to form so headed in. The crew of locals enjoying beer o’clock on the cliff thanked me for providing the afternoon ‘entertainment’. Felt like I had made some gains since sailing there last. Nice!

Slideshow
C36

by Michael » Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:32 pm

C36 wrote:It was fun while it lasted!
Hey Dave, so you're finally done! Thanks for all the galleries and the great session logs! It was great sharing the experience with you!! I'm already looking forward to next year but in the meantime I'm reliving the stoke through your photos. You captured some great moments!
Michael

by ShonanDB » Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:53 pm

[/quote] Hope my board survives!! :D[/quote]

Michael
Thanks for letting me use your board. It was nice having something a little smaller than my 101L but still have some flotation to get me out through the break zone in the lulls. The two masts I broke were quite old and broke in relatively easy conditions. Both should have held up but it is what it is. I got rolled a few times on Friday at the Rock that gave me a "proper thrashing" but that mast was fine. Let me know when you're back in town and I'll drop it off.
Darrell
ShonanDB

by Michael » Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:39 pm

ShonanDB wrote:Let me know when you're back in town and I'll drop it off.
Darrell
Hey Darrell, glad it worked out! Hope you had a good time, it looked like you got some nice rides from Dave's pictures. Too bad about the masts, the Rock can be unforgiving. Glad you made it back in one piece! :D :D I won't be back in town until the end of August so I hope you don't mind hanging on to it until then.
Michael

PreviousNext

Return to Windsurfing