Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Pam Rocks (2016 Jan 6) - Cates Bay, Bowen Island

Windsurfing shop talk

by ShonanDB » Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:19 am

Michael wrote:Thanks Darrell, looks nice out there. Footage looks good too, were you filming 1080 30fps?

Thanks Michael. I used 960 60fps.
ShonanDB

by C36 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:24 am

DB:

Nice video. Thanks for sharing! 8-) :D
Surprised you were planning right away (wind looked light close to shore in the video). Looks like a decent bench just below the water and some decent rolling swell further out (looked similar when I drove past on Saturday). Interesting spot. :D

The map I was struggling to find was posted here and is posted again below for convenience. I take it you launched from the south launch (3 on the map).

There are also some pictures here from Oliver's Landing, the north launch (1 on the map).

Furry Creek launch.jpg
Furry Creek launch.jpg (3.03 MiB) Viewed 10637 times
C36

by ShonanDB » Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:45 am

C36 wrote:DB:

Nice video. Thanks for sharing! 8-) :D
Surprised you were planning right away (wind looked light close to shore in the video). Looks like a decent bench just below the water and some decent rolling swell further out (looked similar when I drove past on Saturday). Interesting spot. :D

The map I was struggling to find was posted here and is posted again below for convenience. I take it you launched from the south launch (3 on the map).

There are also some pictures here from Oliver's Landing, the north launch (1 on the map).

Furry Creek launch.jpg

#2 on the map looked to be the best place to launch from as the wind was blowing right from shore but it is a 8+ minute walk from the parking lot, but doable. Once on the water I worked my way up there and was powered right into shore. I first launched from 3 but it took some time to get out as the wind was only touching down intermittently there so when I came in for a break, I stopped about halfway between 2 and 3 at that small point sticking out. The wind seemed more consistent there compared to launch 3. There is actually a small sign that says North Beach. I noticed that the wind was showing in the trees at the edge of the riverbank even though it wasn't touching down on the water so Kiters may have an advantage as they would most likely be powered from shore.
Took a few runs to get comfortable as I was sailing alone and I didn't go right over to the other side in case it started shutting down as I've heard it can shut down quickly. It was windy at Pam Rocks all day again yesterday.
ShonanDB

by C36 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:35 pm

ShonanDB wrote:#2 on the map looked to be the best place to launch from as the wind was blowing right from shore but it is a 8+ minute walk from the parking lot, but doable. Once on the water I worked my way up there and was powered right into shore. I first launched from 3 but it took some time to get out as the wind was only touching down intermittently there so when I came in for a break, I stopped about halfway between 2 and 3 at that small point sticking out. The wind seemed more consistent there compared to launch 3. There is actually a small sign that says North Beach. I noticed that the wind was showing in the trees at the edge of the riverbank even though it wasn't touching down on the water so Kiters may have an advantage as they would most likely be powered from shore.
Took a few runs to get comfortable as I was sailing alone and I didn't go right over to the other side in case it started shutting down as I've heard it can shut down quickly. It was windy at Pam Rocks all day again yesterday.

DB: Thanks for the additional info. :D

:?: Where was the first run out in the video shot (3, 2.5 (little point) or 2)?
:?: When you say "didn't go right over to the other side" do you mean to the west side of Howe Sound or to the beach north of the river (1)?
C36

by ShonanDB » Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:31 pm

C36 wrote:
ShonanDB wrote:#2 on the map looked to be the best place to launch from as the wind was blowing right from shore but it is a 8+ minute walk from the parking lot, but doable......Took a few runs to get comfortable as I was sailing alone and I didn't go right over to the other side in case it started shutting down as I've heard it can shut down quickly. It was windy at Pam Rocks all day again yesterday.

DB: Thanks for the additional info. :D

:?: Where was the first run out in the video shot (3, 2.5 (little point) or 2)?
:?: When you say "didn't go right over to the other side" do you mean to the west side of Howe Sound or to the beach north of the river (1)?

Most of the video was taken at launch 2.5 as the wind touched down there more consistently.
By the referral to the other side, I meant the West side of the Sound. The wind seemed to get stronger and gustier over there so as I was already overpowered, and with the thought that it could shut down quickly, I didn't venture more than 3/4s of the way across.

It would be good to get there again and explore more on a multi-day outflow forecast and try to catch it on a flooding tide as the rollers would set up nicely.
ShonanDB

by Michael » Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:53 pm

ShonanDB wrote:
Michael wrote:Thanks Darrell, looks nice out there. Footage looks good too, were you filming 1080 30fps?

I think I'll try that setting next time on my go pro. What's the model of your camera again? I might get one as a B cam, it looks good.
Michael

by ShonanDB » Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:24 pm

Michael wrote:
ShonanDB wrote:

I think I'll try that setting next time on my go pro. What's the model of your camera again? I might get one as a B cam, it looks good.

M.
My cheap GoPro knock-off (Sports Cam 5000) died after the waterproof housing leaked and salt water got in so I picked up a used GoPro 3+ Silver before the holidays. Reading through the manual it said that the 960 60fps was best for action shots especially if you want to use slow motion in your finished video. I noticed that it smooths the video out well compared to regular settings.
Comparing the knock-off and the GoPro footage, I found that the quality of video was similar so I would probably buy another one as you can get them for less than $100 compared to $300 for a used GoPro3 or better. However, I won't trust the cheap housing that came with the knock-off again. It looked like one of the seals for the power button leaked and I didn't notice it right away and wondered why the camera kept shutting off. I tried putting it in rice for a few days but the camera won't turn on. I took the back off and the circuit board is all corroded from the salt water. If you buy a knock-off, I would recommend paying a little extra for a GoPro housing. Also, something I didn't know at the time, you can use the GoPro App and Studio SW to control the SportsCam and edit the footage.
ShonanDB

Previous

Return to Windsurfing