Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Maui Advice Please

Windsurfing shop talk

by Lowesdown » Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:59 am

Hey Guys, I'm heading to Maui for 11 days coming up in about a week. I want to sail a couple days, My father in-law would also want to sail, he hasn't since he had an old school Bic. Any tips of sailing locations and rentals would be great!

Not looking for big wave sailing, want to get some skills locked in before that. So a windy bay is all that I'm after.

And go.
Lowesdown

by Bryanl » Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:18 am

You'll most likely want to sail at Kanaha - near the Airport - the upper parking lot is a little better for 1st timers - lots of room inside the reef.
If there is a lot of North in the wind try Kihei - it's offshore so not quite so friendly.
Best place for rentals is Hawaiian Island Surf & Sport on Dairy Road across from K Mart.
You can go there in the AM & get good advice on where to go.
Mostly enjoy - it's Maui
Bryanl

by Michael » Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:19 am

Lowesdown wrote:Hey Guys, I'm heading to Maui for 11 days coming up in about a week. I want to sail a couple days, My father in-law would also want to sail, he hasn't since he had an old school Bic. Any tips of sailing locations and rentals would be great!

Not looking for big wave sailing, want to get some skills locked in before that. So a windy bay is all that I'm after.

And go.

Hey Scott, glad the sail is working better for you.
Like Bryan said, Kanaha is the place.
Looks like you might get some wind in Maui!
Attachments
Screen Shot 2015-11-08 at 11.15.56 PM.png
Screen Shot 2015-11-08 at 11.15.56 PM.png (131.53 KiB) Viewed 5658 times
Michael

by Richi » Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:24 am

I would rent from Kanaha Kai, they are the closest to Kanaha beach, probably a half mile away. They have Starboard boards and Hot sails, which are as good as any other brand out there. If you pick the wrong size gear or want to switch it up, you can zip back and pick up something different and be back in a few minutes. Im pretty sure they have some of the best prices on rentals as well.
The one big difference with Kanaha kai is that its a 24 hour rental. That means that you can drop off your windsurf gear before they close and pick up a SUP board and take it back to the hotel. The next morning you can go out suping at kihei cove, or any surf spot and return the board when you go windsurfing again. I couldnt find any other shop that let me take a board home for the same rental charge, It made spending mornings in Kihei pretty fun.

Have fun, i'm jealous! And dont forget to have a fresh tuna burger at the Paia fish market, its to die for!
Richi

by Bryanl » Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:58 pm

Check this out - lots of info
Re Kanaha Kai - FYI - not a lot of selection
http://www.mauiwindsurfing.net/
Bryanl

Return to Windsurfing