Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Chile Windsurfing

Windsurfing shop talk

by Jennifer » Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:51 pm

Sadly, the wind is over so no more pictures. We did a combo of hiking in the Andes toand windsurfing as the forecasts everywhere within 18 hours travel were spotty. We're glad we checked out Chile since the days we had were magical! The waves wanted to teach me how to wave sail (rather than the constant fear of being destroyed). Although on a bigger swell it's probably more challenging!

In answer to your questions...
Must feel like South Africa - sailing the 'wrong way' (port wave riding)? :D ;) Do you notice much of difference (port vs starboard)?
It feels a big strange at first but after a couple waves I adjust. Helps that I've done pretty even amount of sessions on port and starboard.

Looks like Topocalma is about an hour and a half away south of Matanzas, correct?
Actually it's only 45 min on gravel roads, plus the 3km on the sand. It's about 10 minutes away from Puertocillo a surfing beach which currently has a few places to stay but is about to be massively developed with vacation homes.

Looks like Roca Cuadrada is also in Matanzas, is it along the same beach or is La Roca Quadrada a different location?
It's at the southern tip of the bay next to matanzas city. You can walk from either Matanzas or Las Brias (25 minutes either way. For sailing you can drive there, technically not aloud. Or sail upwind from Las Brias in a couple tacks.

Can't seem to find Papuya? South of Matanazs about 10 mins by driving or an hour walk.

Details
It looks like you took your gear with you. What airline did you use? American Airlines $150 per kit.

Where are you staying? Are you able to sail from the Cabana's where you are staying? Hotel Alba right on the beach, you can sail out the back door to the point at Matanzas.

If not, are there places where you can stay that are walking distance to the launch?
Hotel Surazo - much more expensive for hotel but has camping spots right on the beach, closest to the launch. Was one of the original places so lots of windsurfers congregate there. They have a limited supply of boards to rent but all nice goya quads. You'd have to contact them first in high season because I suspect availability is limited.
A hotel called Roca Cuadrada - also on the beach.
Olas de Matanzas on the hill over looking the windsurfing spot - expensive but offers both cabins and camping.
5 mins walking is a large campsite with nice sites which would be a good budget option if you want to bring camping and windsurfing gear.
Lots of cabanas on the surrounding hills - some on air bnb and vrbo. But you'd probably get the best deal if you showed up and spoke Spanish

If you were to go again, where would you stay?
Depends on duration. Lots of nice houses in Matanzas for longer term. Possibly Puertocillo to be close to Topocalma. Less amenities here though. But apparently in the middle of summer Matanzas can get busy on a point break. Windy season starts in October but things are still quiet now. They apparently get busier in Dec/Jan

Did you have/need a rental car the whole time and upgraded to 4X4 for Topocalma?
We had one the whole times since a few articles we read all highly recommended it and regretted it when they hadn't spent the extra money on it as it can extend your options for sailing (Topocalma, roca quadrada)

Approximate total cost?
Can be done on a super budget if you camp and just sail Matanzas (no 4X4). You can spend as much or as little as your budget allows on food and accommodation.
Airfare - depends how far in advance you book but around 1100 plus gear each way $150
Car - 4X4 is the big cost $1300/2 weeks
Jennifer

by Ryan » Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:56 pm

I made a Google Map with the spot locations, another spot I have not mentioned is La Boca, which is supposed to be good if it's too big everywhere else. We went this morning, it looks great. Breaking waves rolling into a lagoon.
Link for Central Chile Windsurfing spots, disclaimer: We have been to all the spots shown but only sailed at Matanzas and Topocalma. Both in small swell conditions.
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid= ... sp=sharing
Ryan

by C36 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:04 pm

Ryan/Jen: Thanks for the detailed response! Greatly appreciated. :D You two make quite the team (text and map). :D Both are very helpful.

Jennifer wrote:...We're glad we checked out Chile since the days we had were magical! The waves wanted to teach me how to wave sail (rather than the constant fear of being destroyed)...

:lol: I burst out laughing when I read this as I immediately throught of the Oregon Coast. I have very strong memories of sessions where it felt like I spent every moment on the water looking for a safe place to hide. :D ;)

"It is funny I spend all of the time at Centennial chasing down waves and hitting them with all my might, but here at Pistol River I spend all of my time running away from waves."
C36, June 24, 2001, Pistol River

Thanks again for sharing (another) of your great adventures with us! :D
C36

by Ryan » Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:44 pm

Good swell today at Topocalma, it was a surprise session since Windguru only called for 14 knot gusts but we got around 20 knot gusts. Swell forecast was 1.9 m on Windguru. This translated into almost mast high.

P1050540.JPG
#photo
P1050540.JPG (735.04 KiB) Viewed 13584 times

P1050425.JPG
#photo
P1050425.JPG (638.97 KiB) Viewed 13584 times

P1050515.JPG
#photo
P1050515.JPG (592.89 KiB) Viewed 13584 times
Ryan

by C36 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:51 pm

8-) That looks soooooo sweet! :D :D :D
C36

by Ryan » Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:32 am

Compiling more Chile information here.

http://www.surazo.cl/en/actividades/ is owned by a Windsurfer, he seems willing to negotiate a packaged deal, gear and accommodation or just gear. Not that cheap but an option. His place is right on the Matanzas beach, steps from the wind and waves.
Ryan

by Ryan » Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:07 am

Towns around Matanzas with places to stay, prices vary a lot. All options exist, camping, Cabana's, Hotels, Houses.

Matanzas
La Boca, North of Matanzas
Boca de Pupuya -- Town a couple of Km South of Matanzas, on sea
Navidad -- Biggest town closest to Matanzas, a few km inland
Las Brisas Navidad -- closest very small town to Roca Quadrada
Puertecillo -- very small town located closest to Topocalma Beach
Ryan

by Michael » Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:39 am

Ryan wrote:Good swell today at Topocalma,
:o :shock:
That looks amazing :!: So jealous it hurts. Thanks again for the pictures and info Ryan and Jen!
Michael

Previous

Return to Windsurfing