Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Getting started local fall sailing

Windsurfing shop talk

by MikeyP » Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:16 pm

Hi all,

Haven't been out in waves/open ocean in absolutely years and I'm not that great to start with :) I really want to head out to acadia/centenial/etc, get used to waves and the like and also get comfy again with the stronger fall winds. Are the conditions/spot I should avoid or think twice about or others which are more new wave sailor friendly?

Thanks!

Mikey
MikeyP

by Chris Klohn » Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:00 pm

Checkout C36's guide to all the local spots. Tons of great information on tides, winds, water conditions, hazards, etc.... It's like the old Gorge Guide from the 90's with 10X the detail :D
Chris Klohn

by Michael » Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:15 pm

MikeyP wrote:Hi all,

Haven't been out in waves/open ocean in absolutely years and I'm not that great to start with :) I really want to head out to acadia/centenial/etc, get used to waves and the like and also get comfy again with the stronger fall winds. Are the conditions/spot I should avoid or think twice about or others which are more new wave sailor friendly?

Thanks!

Mikey

Hey Mikey, Centennial is a great spot to get the feel of fall/winter wave sailing when the tide is low.
Like Chris said check out Dave's sailing site info on the spot but best to go to the Centennial Beach launch on around a 3.4M falling tide. The water should be knee to shoulder high depending on the sand bars and how far out you go and you can go quite far out when it's low! Nice sandy bottom and beach so you won't trash your gear when you get washed. Don't follow me when the wind is about to shut off or switch direction though. :D
Michael

by Alton » Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:00 pm

MikeyP - It will all come back in no time. You'll need a weed fin for Centennial. I can't remember your board and sail sizes.
Alton

by MikeyP » Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:14 pm

Yeah have a weed fin 23cm, might be a tad small for me in marginal conditions but good enough for the time being.

Board is 95l, fsw, rrd. Sails 5.8, 5.0, 4.4

Have a 7.0, 4.7 and a 5.3 as well as a bigger board in storage , which consequently I never use. Silly Vancouver apartments with no storage space :(

Thanks for tips, I'll keep my eyes out for centenial....
MikeyP

by Chris Klohn » Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:40 pm

Hey Mikey,

I took a ten year break from windsurfing and pretty much kited full time during the break. When I started windsurfing again four years ago it was just like riding a bike..........minus the forearm pump :D

You'll have no problems getting back into it. I couldn't believe how much easier and efficient the new style of boards were. 3.7 - 7.2 with three fins on my old JP FSW 111!

You're in good hands with the local crew here. They all helped me pick out my gear when I was getting back into it. Never a shortage of stoke around too :D

I sure wish Nicola got Acadia / Centennial conditions but it's just not going to happen.

Cheers,

Chris
Chris Klohn

by Alton » Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:28 pm

MikeyP wrote:Yeah have a weed fin 23cm, might be a tad small for me in marginal conditions but good enough for the time being.

Board is 95l, fsw, rrd. Sails 5.8, 5.0, 4.4

Have a 7.0, 4.7 and a 5.3 as well as a bigger board in storage , which consequently I never use. Silly Vancouver apartments with no storage space :(

Thanks for tips, I'll keep my eyes out for centenial....

Mikey - Except for the nuking days (SE 30-40), your quiver is perfect for most Centennial conditions (SE 18-30). 23cm weed fin is more than sufficient. Just need to pray for wind.
Alton

Return to Windsurfing