Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

SE Sunday?

Windsurfing shop talk

by gabrielb » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:33 am

Alton, you didn't chicken out; there was just no more gas in the tank after bb. Had you had energy you wouldn't pass the opportunity, with your memories of pistol river and 1000 windsurf sessions under your belt.
It was just 1.3m and I have seen windier conditions where Ambleside it's just unsurfable (it was not the case last Sunday).
Next time, NW will probably hit 1.6m, switch to your windsurfing gear and give kitesurfing a hiatus, just follow the light.
gabrielb

by Alton » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:13 am

gabrielb wrote:Alton, you didn't chicken out...

Thanks for the kind words Gabriel. Lately, my priority is getting my daughter to intermediately level kiting which means weaning her into more difficult conditions and sacrificing my TOW for hers. She's making amazing progress.

I was salivating when I was watching Richi and Adrien ride those beautifully formed waves at Acadia. I wish I could have been riding my surfboard in those waves but I realize I need to step up my skill level riding a surfboard strapless.

I think many windsurfers and kiters aspire to ride waves like hard core surfers do but we lack the patience and stamina.
Alton

by gabrielb » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:37 am

there are no hard core surfers. Once the surfboard gets in planing mode it's just shifting weight, more like a skateboard with a soft landing. Most surf videos nowadays have jetskis on standby, they just want a shot they can sell, giving people the wrong sense of the sport ... people then want to try it and get injured beyond repair (I could make a list, too long).

All depends on how in shape you are at that moment, I've surfed next to champion swimmers and they hit an exhaustion wall as well or they have the wrong gear for the conditions and get discouraged. Each person at its own level, as long as there is learning, and they are enjoying it, it's all good.
gabrielb

Previous

Return to Windsurfing