Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Lake Garda in late June?

Windsurfing shop talk

by Brian C » Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:13 pm

Mokka and I will be in Milan late June (2016) and have a few days to spare. We're wondering if we should go to Lake Garda to windsurf? It seems to be a popular windsurfing destination but the wind strength looks suspiciously low and the prices suspiciously high. I recall Norbert moved there for a while and wonder if anybody on this site has any info to share about Lake Garda or some alternative that's accessible from Northern Italy?

thanks
Brian C

by max.spock » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:40 pm

Hi Brian,
I grew up there. Let me put together some material for the different spots and I'll post it here as soon as it's ready!
max.spock

by Brian C » Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:52 pm

That would be awesome thanks!
Brian C

by Flysurfer » Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:25 am

Lago di Resia close to the austrian/italian border is a pretty awesome spot.
Thermal driven wind like lake garda but stronger and more reliable as it is higher up.

drawback is really cold water but a huge field to rig and and an awesome community...however i only kited there...and saw only a few windsurfers....but i do not see why this would not be a good for windsurfers

annual fee is charged no matter how long u stay...i think it was like 40 euros at one point...like 2 days of squamish ;)
Flysurfer

by gabor » Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:06 am

I have been there once /windsurfing/ very expensive in Hotels, but reasonable in Camps. Can be very crowded on the water and on the campsites as well, maybe not in June. Beautiful area, lots to do and see.
gabor

by Brian C » Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:22 pm

Thanks for the tips and insights (keep them coming). Lago de Resia sounds tempting but windsurf gear rental doesn't sound likely. Will research it as well as Lake Garda though.
Brian C

by max.spock » Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:03 pm

Hi Brian,
late June it's a pretty good time of the year, if it's sunny you'll find wind. You can windsurf twice a day, early morning with the outflow, typically 4.5 - 5.0, and the afternoon with the inflow, typically 5.3-5.7.

The best two spots for the outflow are two:
- Malcesine on the east coast: you have to be there very early and wind lasts until 9.30 (11 if it's an expectionally good day). No direct sunlight for the most part of the session.

- Pradelafam on the west coast: wind picks up later than Malcesine and sometimes it doesn't work at all. But if it's a good day, this is the place to be. Wind picks up "later" 7.30 and lasts longer 11am to 12pm. You sail in the sun for most of the time.

http://www.pradelafam.net/

For the inflow THE SPOT to be is Hotel Pier:

If you want to spend a few days there and get the best out of them, get a room at the hotel and enjoy the 10 steps commute from the room to the water!!! (http://www.pierwindsurf.it/english/index.php)

They always have really good equipment and you can sail a decent outflow in the morning and the best inflow in the afternoon! Highly recommended...Hotel pier was the spot of one of the first PWA world cup freestyle events in the world! Lots of good sailors around there.

Video from a local freestyler:

It can get pretty busy in July and August but the vibe is amazing. It's the "Gorge" of Europe.

I'll look for more info, photos and links but these should get you going for now!

Cheers
Attachments
P1030631.JPG
Pradelafam
P1030631.JPG (1.17 MiB) Viewed 11811 times
P1030593.JPG
Pradelafam 2
P1030593.JPG (878.17 KiB) Viewed 11811 times
pwa_king99_poster.gif
PWA King of the Lake
pwa_king99_poster.gif (28.98 KiB) Viewed 11811 times
max.spock

by Brian C » Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:59 pm

Max, this is really helpful thanks. To keep it simple for only a few days stay we'd probably go with the Hotel at the Pier as you suggest. We'll research it a bit and probably ask for more tips on the area.
Much appreciated,
Brian
Brian C

Return to Windsurfing