Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Punta San Carlos

Windsurfing shop talk

by C36 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:11 pm

Curious what they cover in a clinic? This one is an overview of a Wyatt Miller / Tyson Poor Wave Sailing Clinic in PSC

This one show WM and TP in action.

C36

by C36 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:58 pm

"When is the best time to go?" KP has your answer at 00:01. :D ;)

C36

by C36 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:58 am

Whalepuke wrote:Hey Alex and I are booked for April 19-26…We'll let you know how it goes. The stoke is building for sure! We are doing the Matt P wave camp. As a "go fast and turn guy" I may need all the help I can get! Maybe I'll finally understand what it means when guys say its 5.0 at Squamish when I'm lit on a 7.2?
E

Did you guys make it back? Or did you stay for a second week? :D ;)

More than a little curious how you found the Punta San Carlos experience? :D
C36

by Whalepuke » Fri May 02, 2014 10:55 pm

We are back….I hate to be a downer but the conditions were not great. We had light winds the entire time. The last day was windy but super gusty and offshore wind. It is a side off location. The waves didn't really happen either. You need waves to get you back to camp when the wind is light and that wasn't the case.
The beach south of camp is not great for landing. There is the toilet bowl with big bowling ball rocks. At high tide there isn't a ton of room as the beach is closed in by a cliff face about 10-15' high. It shouldn't be a problem but the light wind and small inconsistent waves made it one. Campers stay along the side the cliff and need to find there way down the cliff to launch so there are ways off the beach. If you get caught downwind of the chilli bowl you have a long swim ahead of you.
The guys who really were having success were the pros and a couple of the staff. There was really only one guest who was tiny that had been there many times who was ripping. Nicknamed "Andre the Giant" he was maybe 5'4 and light as a feather. He was on the water with no wind on a 4.7 making it happen. The point (Chilli Bowl) was working but hard to get back from so not many ventured down to it.
The hospitality was great! Food was awesome. Baja Fogs and other drinks were plentiful. Matt Pritchard and Kmac gave a wealth of info and were good hosts for the clinic.

If you mountain bike bring your pedals/shoe and helmet, pack as the riding there is decent! Actually that is mostly what we did.
SUPing and surfing was good. Watch for the tides. It was a big tide with low in the morning.

Water was cool. I found a 4/3 perfect. I did use a 3/2 full suit with short sleeves. No booties needed.

Tents were fine. I slept a lot!

I don't know if I will go again. I don't think it is as consistent as they make it out to be. In fact Solo Sports posted on their FB page that it was a stellar week and it was far from it.

What I will take away from the clinic is the instruction and I plan to use it on my next trip to Maui. It was the first real instruction I've had since learning in 1989. Windsurfing and wavesailing are two very different sports!

It was a worth while trip. Totally happy I did it and I think Alex would say the same.
Have a good trip!
Whalepuke

by ShonanDB » Sat May 03, 2014 12:27 am

It sounds like the wind was a bit light during your trip. That's too bad. I was there back in the Spring of 2002 for 13 days and it was 18+ knots every day except one. The waves were logo high when we arrived and dropped away to about chest high for much of the time but then built up again to overhead before we left. The first day was tough in big conditions and not much TOW before the trip so I got worked alot but luckily didn't break any equipment.
We camped down by the Chili Bowl (not at Solo Sports) and if I remember correctly the wind was pretty well sideshore the entire time and although the cliffs were there, you could sail quite deeply into the bowl without any lack of wind issues as the water was shallow close in so you were a few hundred yards away from the cliffs after 5 or 6 turns on the wave.
I rigged and switched between my 4.7 and 5.4 most days but had to rig down to the 4.2 a few times as well. On the "day of no wind" my buddy was slouging out on his 6.2 but was ripping on the waves coming back in. On our last day, the wind really started cranking and I was OP'd on my 4.2 and every 20 minutes or so 2 or 3 double size sets would roll through and clean house. I got caught in the closeouts a few times but it was a great experience overall. I found the waves pretty forgiving as they tended to roll over on themselves, not pitch up and crash down.
Hopefully the next group will have better conditions. Darrell
ShonanDB

by C36 » Sat May 03, 2014 7:10 am

Thanks for the debrief WP and for sharing DB! :D Sorry to hear the conditions weren't great for your trip WP :? but I take comfort in what DB found. :) From what I understand there were a few windy days last week (the week after you were there).

All six of our group our in SD now and we are headed for Brown Field Airport this morning for our flight down the coast. :idea: Below is my best guess at the conditions distilled from a number of different forecasts.

Punta San Carlos 2014
Wind/Wave Forecast
Updated: 2014 May 3

Summary: Warm temps (28), gentle wind and modest south swell to start the week, followed by cooler temperatures (19), stronger wind and larger W/NW swell mid-week. Then promise of some south swell on Friday with warmer temps (mid 20’s) for the end of the week. It will be interesting to see how the week unfolds! :D 8-)
C36

by Alton » Sat May 03, 2014 7:31 am

C36, Michael and Babymama - may the wind and waves be with you. Enjoy PSC.
Alton

by ShonanDB » Sat May 03, 2014 9:12 am

When I was there it was warm in the mornings but by 11am the wind would pick up and although it was sunny, it was cold. If the forecast is saying warm temps then most likely, light winds. Cool temps = wind.
Enjoy your trip! Darrell
ShonanDB

by Whalepuke » Sat May 03, 2014 7:40 pm

The air temp last week was good. Shorts and bare feet by 10am. By 5 it was toque, hoody and pants. Then again it was unseasonal.
Whalepuke

by Alton » Fri May 09, 2014 11:10 am

Hey Michael

I read your PSC sessions on BWD (under Tsawwassen) at http://www.bigwavedave.ca/phpBB2/sailinglog.php. Sounds like a great trip. Hope Dave/C36 and Maryam had just as much fun.
Alton

PreviousNext

Return to Windsurfing