Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Boundary Bay Session One 2015/16

Windsurfing shop talk

by BigBill » Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:26 am

I took a chance at Pt Roberts and had a humbling experience on a 4.8/21" Roberts wave board ( should of had my 4.0) and had coast like conditions off of Edwards Dr. The wind was slightly side/on, enough to sail out through the shore break. got about an hour in 30-40 knot conditions between 11:00-12:00 with overhead waves. Found a vacant access lane to rig and launch from, short walk down the rocky beach, but the best part was no weeds. This launch is just west of the entrance to the PR marina. Being the only one out there I could say it was a bit daunting, but still worth it, epic. I will definitely try this spot again or maybe at south beach which is just east of the marina. Maybe Monday morning:)
BigBill

by Brian C » Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:28 am

Here are the Point Atkinson readings from yesterday. No wonder I was overpowered on 4.2 when I went out at 1230! I think it was probably 5 knots less at Stearman but that's all.

14:00 ESE 28 gust 33
13:00 ESE 29 gust 37
12:00 E 39 gust 45
Brian C

by Ryancr500 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:32 am

That was the most awesome, yet terrifying day ever! I started out on my 4.4/74 Evo and luckily Michael lent me a weed fin! The wind came up quickly from a marginal morning that by the time I was getting comfortable with the 4.4, it became apparent that I was going to have trouble just hanging onto it. The waves further out were immense... I couldn't help but catch air just getting over the top of them. Half the time I was out of control just trying to find the path of least resistance between the waves. Some of them were setting up perfectly for a good launch, but honestly, I was just trying to survive! David and Michael were still out when I ventured in to downsize to a 3.8M. Was a smart move since the wind was peaking. Even getting out to water deep enough to launch was difficult. I felt like I was walking on a 45 degree angle with my gear flapping in the wind. Once I was sailing on the 3.8M... and only slightly overpowered I ventured out. I had a few great runs and the wind picked up even more. Decided it was best to stay near the shallow areas where the waves were less vicious. At one point my forearms were burning and I was so overpowered I decided to rest in the waist deep water with another sailer just holding onto my gear. Didn't last long as I couldn't resist the nuclear winds! Spent most of the evening so tired I could barely formulate a sentence. What a fun day!!
Ryancr500

by C36 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:02 am

BigBill: Thanks for the info in Point Roberts - Edwards Drive.

I also heard two other reports - one second hand from DaveN who sailed Crystal Beach on 3.7, "Dave said that it was "mushy and unorganized" and that there were quite a few boulders starting to show near low tide. He said it's better there on a SW but we didn't go into details as to why or the set up. He said lots of weeds over there."
Last edited by C36 on Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
C36

by C36 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:11 am

I'll also share what I heard about Lighthouse Park from DB (as he is still without power at his house). He can add more later.

11:07 - Rigging 4.2 at Lighthouse Park. Maybe see you later.

12:46 - Went out on my 3.0, good in the gusts but not in the lulls.

1:20 - 3.5 is good here now.

4:27 - Rigged my 4.7 and sailed for another 45 min then switched to my 110 for another 30 but it slowly dropped away.

later - I took a few pics with my Blackberry as well as a short video. Once we get power back on I'll upload. Lots (12) surfers there today. Nice shoulder to head high rollers 500 m out and lots of ramps both port and starboard. With the tide coming in it got messy and a little chaotic but fun. Survival sailing for a while though with the gusts!

/edit

A few more points from DB - I looked at the South beach at lighthouse park and it looked good when I first arrived (tide was higher) but then was just white water later when I walked to the point. There were nice head high breaking waves wrapping around the point, hense the surfers, and fairly well formed rollers a few metres off the beach rolling North. Very similar to how the waves wrap around on a NW but they seemed to hold their size and shape better on a SE. Dropped in on a few on the inside right at the point and it was fun but had to watch the surfers as they were getting pushed all over. It may have been due to the tide coming in though as there was a lot of water being pushed up on the point. When I rigged up to my 4.7, it felt heavy and slow..... It was nice to sail to get out on the 3.5.
Last edited by C36 on Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C36

by spinmaster3000 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:23 pm

:lol:
LeopardSkin wrote:
Brian C wrote: landed chin- first on my boom and broke a tooth!

Try Aquamend epoxy Ding-Stick.
spinmaster3000

Previous

Return to Windsurfing