Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Van Isle 2015 (Day 1 at 'the lake')

Windsurfing shop talk

by C36 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:58 am

Sweet time. Drove onto 5:20 sailing from Horseshoe Bay and arrived at campground at Nitinat at about 10 pm. North Road was very smooth and took less than 50 minutes from Youbou cruising, not pushing it. Wind took its sweet time to show up due to the heavy marine layer. When it did it was big gear weather and slightly unstable. Tried two fins 34 cm and Fanatic 29 – prefer the latter (thinner foil). Got about two thirds of the way to the island then the backing wind turned me around for fear of spending the night up there. Once back at the campo the wind settled for about 45 minutes at dinnertime and others flooded out on the water to take advantage of the good stuff. Nice and warm, both at night and out on the water. Nice to get wet after the long wait! Saw the nation-to-nation paddlers arrive from Port Renfrew – five canoes in all! Thanks to Laura for sharing her ‘extra’ dinner – salmon casserole – Yum!

Gallery (better for mobile devices)
Slideshow
Last edited by C36 on Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:55 am, edited 4 times in total.
C36

by Craig » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:37 am

Hi Dave,
I was planning to be at the lake this weekend too, but the weather has turned me back. Also was waiting for the famed Kashino forecast.....Are you expecting wind throughout the weekend? Weather looks wet and unstable to me, and it has to be pretty much a sure thing to leave the wife and kids at home (weekend pass). Dying to get out there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks,
Hope you score some good wind.

Craig.
Craig

by Laura » Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:33 pm

I'm hoping you post pics from today. I had 7/8 great kiting days. Only took yesterday off to recover. Omw to mainland soon
Laura

by Slappy » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:27 pm

So I guess there is cell service at Nitnat now.
Slappy

by Craig » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:41 pm

Thought it was confirmed you can buy a wireless password for $5 at the store to use within range of the store. No cell service.
Craig

by Alton » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:43 pm

Craig wrote:Thought it was confirmed you can buy a wireless password for $5 at the store to use within range of the store. No cell service.

I heard $5 for 30 minutes of WiFi access
Alton

by C36 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:40 pm

Craig wrote:Hi Dave,
I was planning to be at the lake this weekend too, but the weather has turned me back. Also was waiting for the famed Kashino forecast.....Are you expecting wind throughout the weekend? Weather looks wet and unstable to me, and it has to be pretty much a sure thing to leave the wife and kids at home (weekend pass). Dying to get out there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks,
Hope you score some good wind.

Craig.

Thursday cranked and then travelled to Tofino (more later). Temps looked cooler and differential flatter for the rest of the week.

There is Internet access in the park (if they fire the generator). Store is $5 for 15 minutes, but time limit has a soft stop. No cell service, as others have said.

Pictures from Thursday are coming soon!
Last edited by C36 on Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C36

by Slappy » Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:54 pm

Columbia beach looked mighty nice today on the webcam.
Slappy

by C36 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:10 pm

Classic Nitinat. Impressed to see the nation-to-nation paddlers heading out pre-dawn for their next leg north. Wind arrived early and the first out with 12 m and foil was well powered at 10 am. Decided to start the day testing MFC 23 cm 211 to see if it would work with 6.1/Freewave 115. It did – I was able to sail up and around the island! Enjoyed riding the smooth rolling swell off the wind back down to the campo. Taught one of the neighbours to waterstart (pull the board under you then stand-up) and took a spin with Laura (kite) on my now getting really overpowered gear. Sized down two sail sizes and one board to enjoy the over knee high rolling wind swell right along the beach. Fun little mini-backside hits! Jumping favoured to starboard today with some west in the wind. Fun session! Wind then started to back and get a touch unstable mid-afternoon making it easier to leave for Tofino. Arrival in Port Alberni was delayed by major flat tire which shredded both the tire and the rim – lucky I have a full-size spare. Thanks to the kind souls in the five vehicles who stopped to check and see if I needed help!

Slideshow
Last edited by C36 on Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:50 pm, edited 5 times in total.
C36

by C36 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:15 pm

Spent the day wave-SUP'n with DavidM and Eastside at Cox Bay (the only game in town today - Friday). Some nice clean chest high sets, some of the larger peaks (and a sand sucking surprise in the inside) at the north end of the beach mid-day. Fun to share some party waves! :D

Sample of conditions.

Slideshow
Last edited by C36 on Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
C36

Next

Return to Windsurfing