Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Van Isle 2015 (Day 1 at 'the lake')

Windsurfing shop talk

by C36 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:41 pm

Sunset session. The swell in Tofino had melted away overnight and looked really small on the mid-day low tide. Ethan and I agreed, it was time to move on. Arrived in Tofino with seven boards on the van and left with eight (offered to be a mule for BigD’s new-to-him quad). A sunset session at Nitinat followed a day of travel, grocery shopping and installing the new rear tire (we now have a spare again – hurray). The drive in from Port Alberni took an hour and fifteen minutes at a leisurely-trying-not-to-get-a-flat-pace (faster than the last trip without having to stop to change a flat). Was treated to a beautiful sunset as we ate our dinner on the beach!

Gallery (better for mobile devices)
Slideshow
Last edited by C36 on Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
C36

by C36 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:01 pm

Part 1 of 2. Smooth and steady. Inflow started at 9 am and on the on `big gear`(5.3/115/23) before lunch. Sailed up and around the island well powered. Enjoyed playing in the troughs of the small rolling swell on the way back down. Towed a kiter that had separated from his kite about 2/3 across the lake back to the beach. Sailed downwind to the windsurfing beach and met SP-Ray (BWD name escapes me).

Part 2 of 2. A little angry. Watched the wind build and peak while we were eating lunch – there was a short pulse that pushed the rolling swell larger you could have likely been on 4.0 for. By the time I took to the water again decided on 4.5/92. There were still some small rolling swell along the kite beach and the odd steep ramp to starboard. Took a few runs with Nanmoo (kite) and saw him land a back roll! Nice! This inspired me to try a few flat back loop attempts. Fun, but you had to work for it in pulsing wind and strange wind/wave angle (micro-lows overhead and cumulus clouds to the west in the Cowichan Valley).

Slideshow
Last edited by C36 on Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
C36

by Faceplant » Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:34 pm

Nice pics.
Total devotion.
Nice waves at the Lake!
Thanks.
Faceplant

by C36 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:38 pm

Ethan can kite! First day of kid`s camp at Elevation and Ethan was treated to a one-on-one lesson (and the lake to himself )courtesy of the rain squalls (none of the other kids showed up). 2 m trainer kite, 5 m bladder kite, rigging, derigging, pre-launch checklist, waterstart, body dragging, FIRST FEW RIDES, self-rescue and jet ski ride back to the beach. All this in a single ride down the lake. Ethan was sooooo excited all day long! He was all smiles! Awesome to see! A BIG “thank you” to the good folk at Elevation (Peter, Dakota and Marie) for providing such a great, organized, well-supported learning environment. It turned a rather challenging wind day for learning into a day-to-remember!

Ethan is so stoked for the next sunny, steady thermal day!

Slideshow
C36

by Alton » Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:55 pm

C36 wrote:Ethan can kite!

Way to go DaveJR. Surfing, SUP, windsurfing and kiting. You're the true waterman.
Alton

by C36 » Sat Aug 08, 2015 5:23 pm

Sun and fun! Day 2 of the kids camp started off slowly on the `transition` day light wind. Ethan`s first session of the day was a frustratingly just underpowered pull down the lake on 7 m that ended with self-rescue. His next session was MUCH better – still with the 7 m the wind had filled in and he was now well-powered and I followed Ethan (kite) and instructor Peter (SeaDo) down the lake (windsurfing). I got to explore corners of the lake that were new to me and watch Ethan kite at the same time. There were brief moments where we were on the same tack and close by all ripping along together (Ethan, Peter and me) – Fun that! I was amazed to see how well Ethan did in the often waist high rolling chop at the bottom of the lake. Well done! While Ethan was doing his self-rescue, I around the `rope swing tree` at the south end of the beach at drift wood beach at the east end of the lake and started working my way back to windward. I had been down there formula racing years ago, but was reminded how much lake there is below the village. 12 tacks to get back to Elevation and Ethan asked, `How did you get back here so quickly?” Ethan had another great day and was all smiles!

Slideshow
C36

by C36 » Sat Aug 08, 2015 5:36 pm

He’s a ripper! Day 3 of the kids camp, and the last day of the trip, saw steadier wind under mixed high cloud. Ethan showed continued progress with two sessions on 8 m including longer rides, more independence and a few attempted carving turns. He continues to enjoy kiteboarding and to my eye he had a bit of breakthrough with parking the kite! His instructor said he realised that sailing a kite can be relaxing, once its in position and said Ethan got this when he had one ride when the kite was steady and he was ripping along relaxed with one hand on the bar. Awesome to hear!

I took to the water in the late afternoon after Ethan was done for the day. My help was no longer needed and the clearing patch I had been watching approach all day was now arriving and the wind picked up a notch allowing the 5.3 to make an appearance. After playing out front of the beach for a while I was able to sail up and around the island (with some work in the slightly puffy/shifty wind) with the intension of shooting down to the ‘rope-swing-tree’ again. But when I got back to the campo the softening wind changed my mind and I was happy to work the wind for a little while here.

Another fun day for both of us followed by another sunset dinner on the beach! Pretty special place!

Slideshow
C36

by Chris Klohn » Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:26 pm

Awesome pictures Dave! Way to go Ethan! You and Alton are both inspirational passing your stoke for wind sports down through the family. I'm looking forward to the day my son and I can enjoy the same on the water :D

Cheers,

Chris
Chris Klohn

by Slappy » Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:38 pm

Nice to see you guys getting the kids out there.

My son cries when I try and take him on tandem rides in shallow waters :x He's still only 8 though but I hope it wont take too many years before he gets interested.
Slappy

by Alton » Sun Aug 09, 2015 2:07 am

Slappy wrote:Nice to see you guys getting the kids out there.

My son cries when I try and take him on tandem rides in shallow waters :x He's still only 8 though but I hope it wont take too many years before he gets interested.

When my daughter was from 8 to 10 years old I put her in Hood River windsurfing lessons both kids camp and private. She did well but never really took to it. Same with snowboarding. However, she loved skiing especially through the trees at Cypress. I suggest not to push your kid into any sport otherwise he/she will hate you for it. In fact, do the reverse and deny them the opportunity until they ask about it then grant them the right of passage.

Next week (Mon-Fri) my daughter has a life-guarding course and she wishes it will rain everyday so she won't missing any kite sessions at Squamish. This life-guarding course will only build her craving to kite.

My marriage advice ... setting low expectations goes a long way

My parenting advice ... neglect and corporal punishment are under-rated
Alton

PreviousNext

Return to Windsurfing