Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Van Isle 2015 (Day 1 at 'the lake')

Windsurfing shop talk

by C36 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:27 am

Chris Klohn wrote:Awesome pictures Dave! Way to go Ethan! You and Alton are both inspirational passing your stoke for wind sports down through the family. I'm looking forward to the day my son and I can enjoy the same on the water :D

Slappy wrote:Nice to see you guys getting the kids out there.

My son cries when I try and take him on tandem rides in shallow waters :x He's still only 8 though but I hope it wont take too many years before he gets interested.

Alton wrote:When my daughter was from 8 to 10 years old I put her in Hood River windsurfing lessons both kids camp and private. She did well but never really took to it. Same with snowboarding. However, she loved skiing especially through the trees at Cypress. I suggest not to push your kid into any sport otherwise he/she will hate you for it. In fact, do the reverse and deny them the opportunity until they ask about it then grant them the right of passage.

Next week (Mon-Fri) my daughter has a life-guarding course and she wishes it will rain everyday so she won't missing any kite sessions at Squamish. This life-guarding course will only build her craving to kite.

My marriage advice ... setting low expectations goes a long way

My parenting advice ... neglect and corporal punishment are under-rated

Parent-child watersports advice:
  • Start early
  • Small doses
  • Offer them choices
  • Get groups of kids together - they learn more from and motivate each other
  • Don't push (too hard)
  • Ideally, wait until they ask - these are the magic 'breakthrough' days

Luckily my two both have a natural affinity with the water. Ethan in particular often reminds me a Sea Otter! :D They both grew up swimming in warm water inland lakes and by the time they had the opportunity to learn to surf in Maui they were both very comfy in the ocean (small summer swell). But lets back-up - how did they get to that point?

• lots of swimming/playing in warm safe summer inland lake water
  • kneeboarding (single and tandem)
  • windsurfing with Dad - waterski handle on the nose of longboard
  • windsurfing with Dad - second boom below mine standing inside me
  • windsurfing - solo on warm, falt inland lakes
  • wakeboarding (single and tandem)
  • waterskiing (single, tandem, junior balls in the course)
  • barefoot waterskiing - body draging on the boom
  • wakeskating (single and tandem)
  • surfing
  • barefoot waterskiing (on boom)
  • wave-SUP
  • windsurfing - wavesailing (Ethan)
  • kiteboarding (Ethan)
With each sport I would give them an introduction to it and let them pursue those that they liked - each have their favorites. Some they don't do anymore (or no longer have the opportunity), but all increased their confindence in and around the water and helped to provide a base for the 'next' sport.

Ethan asked me on our last trip, why I like watersports so much and after we spoke for a while, he summed it up by saying "Water is fun!". Often wise beyond his years. :D

I hope there is something in here that is of use to you.
C36

Previous

Return to Windsurfing