Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Columbia Beach Thursday

Windsurfing shop talk

by C36 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:26 pm

A few shots and OSR from our 'day trip' to the island today - complete with ORCAS 8-) and SEA LIONS! :shock:

:D Fun session, even if 'hamster' sized waves (according to DaveM). ;)

A special THANK YOU to the 'island-peps' for always being so gracious 8-) when we descend like locusts :o on their special places.

FULL SIZE. No Flickr login? Try this
C36

by Mike » Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:24 pm

Wish I could have been there!

I'm curious, How long was the one way trip from loading onto the ferry to arriving at Columbia Beach?
Mike

by Alton » Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:32 pm

Mike wrote:Wish I could have been there!

I'm curious, How long was the one way trip from loading onto the ferry to arriving at Columbia Beach?

Tsawwasen to Duke Point (Nanaimo) is 2 hrs.
Another 45 minutes from Nanaimo to Parksville (Columbia Beach).

From Horseshoe Bay you'll save about 30 minutes total.

See http://www.bigwavedave.ca/wiki/index.php/Columbia_Beach and click on "Driving Directions:"
Alton

by C36 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:53 pm

Mike wrote:...I'm curious, How long was the one way trip from loading onto the ferry to arriving at Columbia Beach?

Mike:

Answer (from Horseshoe Bay): 2 hours and 30 minutes (1 hour 40 minute sailing + 10 minutes unloading + 40 minute drive).

:idea: If you are thinking of going over on Saturday I would take a look at the Airforce Base in Comox (rumoured to have stronger wind 8-) and interesting wind swell - although I haven't heard anyone say DTL when talking about the place) - if you look at the pictures at the bottom of the page, it looks a LOT like Centennial. ;) If Columbia isn't setting up right, I would continue north. My two cents.
C36

by Mike » Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:14 pm

Thanks for the info. That spot is on my "to do" list but not this Saturday due to other stuff.
Mike

by Michael » Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:31 pm

Hey Dave thanks for the pictures! Is anyone going over tomorrow?
Michael

by eastside » Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:00 am

I reposted my log below. We will try and organize a better session for you next time. Double thanks to Alton for the sail pick up. And I hope Chris attached the right board to the right car. We might go to Air Force Beach, by the Comox Airport surprisingly enough, today. I have had some good days there. It is a nice sandy beach. You can ride the swells off the rocky old boot launch on a hide tide and there are some on shore waves and good jumping. Check out Wiki on bwd for directions as it is confusing getting there.

In the words of a great Russian philosopher dude.....meh.....Definitely didn't live up to my expectations. One hour of ok, then 1 hour of hypothermia waiting around for the big blow. Then I changed to get a bit of blood flowing. Thanks for the Peach Bliss Tea Brother Kuster. Another hour of milking it on the Skate in a fresh 5-3 wet suit. I was scared to fall in (hypothermia deja vu )so didn't. At least the Skate kept planing.

Good to see the Van crew although CB should have put on a better display for them. The orcas at least came to the party. Thanks to Alton for advertising my used 6.3 sail, promoting it to the prospective buyer, coming over from Vancouver, picking it up and delivering it. He even guaranteed payment
eastside

by Alton » Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:10 am

eastside wrote:I reposted my log below. We will try and organize a better session for you next time. Double thanks to Alton for the sail pick up...

It was great seeing you and the gang in warmer conditions this time. I'm looking forward to a really good CB session but this one was good enough for me considering the conditions this season.

Re: guaranteed payment. I guess it would be futile messing around with a lawyer. Just kidding. Jennifer and the UBC Sailing Club is good for it.
Alton

by eastside » Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:14 am

Just kidding on the payment. There are no guarantees in this wind game. Nice pictures C36 and thanks for posting. You always have good pictures. Too bad nobody got the orca and unfortunately I missed it.
eastside

by Alton » Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:18 am

eastside wrote:Just kidding on the payment. There are no guarantees in this wind game. Nice pictures C36 and thanks for posting. You always have good pictures. Too bad nobody got the orca and unfortunately I missed it.

Dave/C36 got the orcas ... I'm glad they didn't get me.

Alton

PreviousNext

Return to Windsurfing