Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

JWSP Saturday

Weather talk and On Site Reports (604)800-2770

by Michael » Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:46 am

I think this would be an awesome board for JWSP, or anywhere with waves actually! Makes me want to kite.

Michael

by Mike » Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:14 am

Totally right Michael! For me, resting abused body parts got me started though there are still a couple of windsurf moves i want to do. Having said that kiting was never on my radar until the relatively recent surge in kite surfboards - definitely where i see myself going. Just another option to have so you have the best tool for the given conditions.
Mike

by Alton » Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:39 am

Mike wrote:Totally right Michael! For me, resting abused body parts got me started though there are still a couple of windsurf moves i want to do. Having said that kiting was never on my radar until the relatively recent surge in kite surfboards - definitely where i see myself going. Just another option to have so you have the best tool for the given conditions.

Saw Dave Bush at Squamish throwing some wicked freestyle moves on his North Whip

Alton

by Alton » Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:13 am

Michael wrote:I think this would be an awesome board for JWSP, or anywhere with waves actually! Makes me want to kite.

Mike wrote:Having said that kiting was never on my radar until the relatively recent surge in kite surfboards - definitely where i see myself going. Just another option to have so you have the best tool for the given conditions.

Some inspiration ...

Alton

by ShonanDB » Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:28 pm

Love the way that the one guy (early in the video) extracts himself out through the wave when it closes out on him. That would save getting beaten on the reef and save a long swim if you were windsurfing and had your gear ripped from your hands in the same closeout. Kites seem to have a much cleaner access to the wind and don't seem to be as affected by lighter air in the waves as windsurfing does.
ShonanDB

by Alton » Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:50 am

Michael wrote:I think this would be an awesome board for JWSP, or anywhere with waves actually! Makes me want to kite.

Subman on http://kiteboardbc.com/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 004#p58784 tested the Ocean Rodeo Duke Mako in Friday's gnarly conditions and likes it ...

subman wrote:I just did a test run on my newly purchased Ocean Rodeo DuKe Mako surfboard having just abandoned my OR Surf Series 5'11" surfboard.

Test run was at Spanish Banks, Vancouver in significant surf/chop with large swell, 22-24 knots gusting to 30 knots with a 2014 Razor 10 meter.

Compared to the Surf Series, the Duke was much, much more stable with zero chatter and very easy to jibe, as well as nice and turny as expected
with the thruster fin set-up. The deck was very sticky which was another bonus. Nice work Ocean Rodeo!

Conclusion - the Duke is a vast improvement over the previous generation, in a light and compact package. Highly recommended. Anyone want to buy a Surf Series in excellent condition please email me >>uvi@telus.net.
Alton

Previous

Return to Weather Talk and OSR