Weather Talk For BC no matter what you ride

Friday Good?

Weather talk and On Site Reports (604)800-2770

by Roxstock » Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:47 pm

16m kite and big twin tip make for some exciting riding with gusts up to 28 knots. Jumping was exceptionally easy, just bar in and up you go! I done my biggest jumps ever today but it became too much and switched to my 12 for the last 45 minutes before it died at 3:00. Great day, much better than I was expecting.
Roxstock

by decman_r » Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:05 pm

Awesome day at Locust. Kirsten, Ian and I went down. Kirsten was lit for an 1.5 h on a 7m. A lull hit and we thought that was it. Just I thought I wasn't going to get a turn the wind turned back on and I was lit for another 1.5 h in some beautifully spaced waves. :D . The wind switched and then tanked around 3:45.
decman_r

by Roxstock » Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:14 pm

Someone left a black helmet at third today. I put it on the log where everybody leaves their bags/gear.
Roxstock

by tweegster » Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:45 pm

Wind has finally dropped off in WR, should be a nice sunset, what a great day.... sorry good friday.
tweegster

by Faceplant » Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:19 pm

My first trip to Locust. Arrived at 8am. Didn't know how to read the forecast. Thought it might start around 9 or 10. Thanks to the nice directions in the sailing site info i was able to get there very easily. I was alone for a few hours before the wind came and felt a bit odd. Took some pictures, and wandered the beach. Eventually the wind came and wow it can really blow there! "Holy" smokes. Out on 9 M and surfboard for an hour from 12 to 1 which was fine, but came in for board switch, and that's when the wind speed increased. I was at the waters edge looking at the texture on the water and listening to the sound of the wind with my kite parked at the edge of the wind window, I had to eventually flag it out. Pumped up the 7M got all ready to head out, had a chat with David, and as he described in the OSR the wind dropped right off. Stubborn me still wandered out and tried to get going without any luck for the first 5 minutes. I could barely keep the kite in the sky. Wind picked up and it was absolutely what I needed. A solid 90 minutes lit with the 7M and surf board. First time attempting strapless jumps. Nothing too crazy just just some small jumps off the beautiful ramps out there. East end of bay was a double wave set up, but out in the middle it was nice and clean. Everyone was friendly. Drive time to get home to North Van was 84 minutes. I will definitely be going back!!!
Faceplant

by Alton » Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:23 pm

Faceplant wrote:My first trip to Locust ...

Lucas - Congrats on your initiation to Locust. Whenever, 3rd Ave looks marginal Locust is a good bet. The Washington locals are super friendly. You'll get to know them soon.

P.S. You may be able to get to Locust faster than Squamish. Dave Culver told us that it can blow 14m regularly in the summer. Something to consider.
Alton

by C36 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:47 pm

Up early to check the actuals then hit the snooze button. Got rolling about mid-day and made the final Centennial/Locust decision roadside on the south side of the Fraser. Locust it was.

Took a quick look-see at Post Point. Interesting spot, but not keen to take quad out there solo in a place I have never sailed before and lots of 'downwind' risk. Popular spot with the paddlers despite the odor from the sewage treatment plant. :shock: :?

Gallery (better for mobile devices)
Slideshow
look-see OSR

Arrived at Locust to find it filling in well, meet Decman on the stairs and debated on 4.5 or 4.0. Decided and 4.5 but by the time I got down to the beach it had back off, WAY off. Chatted with Faceplant as I rigged (glad to read the site info helped) and the two of us optimists walked out gear out as the others came in. Lucky us - it filled back in! WooHoo! Definitely more fun ripping around out on the water than chatting on the beach! Gentle shifts in the wind mixed it up offering jumping opportunities in both directions (some nice angles and wave shoulders). Fun sharing the water with Faceplant (early rides in the building wind), Decman (bob and weave), George (watching him work the waves) and the locals too! Special thank you to George who checked to make sure I made it back to the beach after the wind shut down. :D

Gallery (better for mobile devices)
Slideshow
Pre-Launch OSR
Post-Session OSR
Good Friday OSR
C36

by george » Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:59 pm

Hey Dave, it was great out there today, something nice about enjoying the waves with windsurfers as well as kiters. You boosted a few sweet ones out by the shipwreck, and a few looong rides down the nice little wave trains we had out there. Rob was going large...but he's going to have to up his game if he wants to keep up with Kirsten, haha.
I've done the walk of shame there often, and that's why when I get a sniff of a lull, I just head back and if its just a sucker lull, head back out. It switches fast there.
I know its a long ways out, but BWD is calling for the first set of coast nw's next week, though smaller swell...looking at the setup, might be worthwhile considering calling in dead to work wed/Thurs...good surf/suping in the am, then poling/stringing in the pm...rinse and repeat.
And to paraphrase Dave... I've already said much more than I know...
George
george

by Slappy » Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:34 pm

Alton wrote:P.S. You may be able to get to Locust faster than Squamish. Dave Culver told us that it can blow 14m regularly in the summer. Something to consider.

For summer you want to go down to Hunter, it's another 30 min past Locust though.
Slappy

by Mike » Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:43 am

First Kash and now Alton calling me a kiter! I'm sure they meant it as a compliment :lol: Good fun.

AG - yup, I'm missing the windsurf freestyle. Must say that recently the kiting has been doing what I hoped, that is, filling some of the gaps when windsurfing conditions aren't the greatest. Hopefully this will mean less injury so I'll actually increase my freestyle time and efforts during quality opportunities versus last year.
Last edited by Mike on Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike

PreviousNext

Return to Weather Talk and OSR